Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

I am not sure which forum to put this in, but I will try here and see what response I get.

We are shopping our homeowners insurance (because it keeps going up).

A new company called Lemonade popped up and they are $190/month cheaper than allstate. We have learned over the decades that Insurance is not a "you get what you pay for" business, at least not always. Some companies just charge more. Lemonade also claims that if there are not a lot of claims, they will donate excess funds to certain charities rather than to shareholders. Some of the charities are scammy political news hounds (ACLU for example) but others are real, valid, and meaningful charity organizations that actually exist to help people. that is a neat business model, although it may not be sustainable.

Anyway I am wondering whether anyone is familiar with this company. I have learned they mostly re-insure the risk, and they are not rated by the big four rating organizations. I am not sure whether this is because they are new, small, or non-standard (they are a public benefit corporation). Anyway, I am digging into the company and their limited history. CD is always a good place to get leads for information.

I am a bit concerned because they use a lot of hip catchphrases which I find to be somewhat unprofessional and they have have a plethora of people contact me all claiming to be in charge of my inquiry into a policy. One of them sent me a rude e-mail about "leaving me hanging" because i did not buy a policy in a day or two. the whole thing seems a bit disorganized and almost childish, but they are new and still getting their act together. Plus they are so much cheaper.

They claim our lender (Quicken) regularly accepts them as the insurer on homes financed by Quicken and I expect Quicken does their homework better than I can. Still I want to know more before I consider switching.

If you are familiar with this company, please let me know what you know.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
This might help:
Financial Stability Ratings®: Demotech

Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 AM

13,710 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
That seems really, really small. $80 Million in assets? I'd hope their insured properties are really well spread out geographically. If you have an agent that's written a bunch of Policies in suburban Philly (just an example) and they get a bad hailstorm, it could really sting the company.

In addition to the financial ratings I'd be concerned about how good they are to work with. Plenty of companies are extremely healthy financially but an absolute nightmare if you have to file a claim.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
I just had some clients that used an online lender and then Lemonade for insurance. My clients were Millenials so they were totally fine with their hip catchphrases and such. I know they liked working with them to get set up. it is a new company so it is hard to know about their service for the long term.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
They gave me that, but they are not rated by the four companies that normally rate insurance companies. Moody's, A.M. Best, Fitch and Standard & Poor's. I am accustomed to look at the AM Best ratings for any insurance company to determine whether they are within a reasonable level of financial stability. I asked them why they are only rated by relatively unheard of Demotech and they were not sure. Possibly because they are only 3 years old or possibly because they re-insure most of the risk and do not carry large reserves. Ratings do not tell the whole story, but I want to know the company will still be around if something happens.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:05 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
I have them as my renter's insurance. I'm not a millenial (I'm technically an Xennial), but their phrasing doesn't bother me. It's just marketing. They're trying to inject some personality into a usually dry industry like insurance.

Since I only use them for renter's, I honestly didn't research their solvency (my policy only covers the contents of my apartment, not any structures, etc). I just bought and went with a different company for my homeowner's because it was recommended to me and I was tired of making decisions lol.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:01 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
I’m definitely not an authority on the subject but I was told by my agent several years ago that Demotech’s niche is to rate smaller and newer companies. It’s always a bit of a risk. You are betting that the company you select will be there if you need them and they will be able to handle whatever repairs you need.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not sure which forum to put this in, but I will try here and see what response I get.

Lemonade also claims that if there are not a lot of claims, they will donate excess funds to certain charities rather than to shareholders. Some of the charities are scammy political news hounds (ACLU for example) but others are real, valid, and meaningful charity organizations that actually exist to help people. that is a neat business model, although it may not be sustainable.
A mutual insurance company will refund excess funds to their policy holders, although I haven’t got one from State Farm in several years (homeowners or automobile).

If a company is irritating you while you are still in the sales phase (when they should be on their very best behavior) I wouldn’t have real high expectations when YOU need something from them.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
With assets still in the tens of millions, is that something you want to risk? Allstate in comparison is dealing with tens of BILLIONS.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,448 times
Who pays homeowners insurance by the month? Why is it so expensive in Michigan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate