Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:40 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times

Advertisements

Yowza. Those photos are shocking.

Water damage from bad construction destroys homes and dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Construction defects are fixed by construction workers, not attorneys.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Construction defects are fixed by construction workers, not attorneys.
No. The attorneys force the construction workers to fix defects.

You guys would be shocked to see the quality of housing built today. It’s absolutely atrocious. I wouldn’t buy a new house built today. Unless it’s a custom home builder (and even then) most tract housing is slapped together

In very wet/snow conditions stucco is not a good material to use. It cracks with temperature changes, it gets effervescent and it’s basically a hard sponge. There is a reason they have weep screeds at the bottom. They didn’t used to do that. That’s why you see older houses stucco is disintegrating at the bottom and flaking off.

Imo Toll Brothers are ultimately responsible as they were the general contractor. But like most slimy contractors the will try and weasel their way out. Years out of warranty.....a good lawyer can argue out of that hole

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-15-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:04 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Yet people still prefer big, new, overpriced poorly built McMansions. They try to lowball on older, solidly built homes, because cosmetics.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yet people still prefer big, new, overpriced poorly built McMansions. They try to lowball on older, solidly built homes, because cosmetics.
We bought a house built in 1984. Whatever was gonna go wrong it’s already happened. My wife’s moms old house was built with 2x4s that actually measured 2x4. 1943 build. It’s still standing today.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:33 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Stucco is pretty much a lost art.
No chance I would buy it from a tract builder.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

You guys would be shocked to see the quality of housing built today. It’s absolutely atrocious. I wouldn’t buy a new house built today. Unless it’s a custom home builder (and even then) most tract housing is slapped together

My plumber, electrician and roofer have all said this. I can't imagine how ripped-off those people feel. 400+grand for a Toll Brothers McMansion and the walls are falling apart.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

In very wet/snow conditions stucco is not a good material to use. It cracks with temperature changes, it gets effervescent and it’s basically a hard sponge. There is a reason they have weep screeds at the bottom. They didn’t used to do that. That’s why you see older houses stucco is disintegrating at the bottom and flaking off.

Imo Toll Brothers are ultimately responsible as they were the general contractor. But like most slimy contractors the will try and weasel their way out. Years out of warranty.....a good lawyer can argue out of that hole
Absolutely. My wife is a home inspector and the stories she could tell you would make you never want to buy a house again, especially not a new one. We talked about our next home purchase and I told her no way on a new home. They are thrown together in a matter of days. All the builders care about is putting the homes up as fast as possible, whether they are custom or not. And many new home buyers rely on the builder's inspector to determine if the finished home is up to code. That is the biggest mistake a new homebuyer can make; akin to the fox guarding the hen house.

Getting an independent inspector to check the condition of the home before closing and at the 11 month inspection is essential to protecting yourself. I also agree that Toll Brothers is responsible for the damage. Many general contractors try to pawn the blame off on subcontractors. Legally, the subs are not responsible, as the contractors are the ones who hire them and are thus responsible for the quality of the finished product.

My mother-in-law just went through a very similar situation. She purchased a small duplex style condo in South Carolina in 2007. Everything seemed fine at first, but as the years passed and SC started experiencing heavy rains, her condo developed moisture intrusion because the builder did not grade the home properly. Eventually she started having wet carpets and water in her garage and she and other residents had to take legal action against the builder. Despite their warranty being long expired, they won the case, and the builder paid to relocate the affected residents and their belongings temporarily while they redid the grading. She and other residents just now moved back into their home. They won their case because the residents had no way to know about the inferior grading years ago, but only after years of living there when the water intrusion became an issue.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times
This story makes a great case for buying an old house in a good ol', leafy neighborhood.

Just from the exterior views, you can tell how much wasted space is in that "luxury" dump. Passersby can probably smell the off-gassing from the street.

Actual wealthy people live in stone or solid brick houses; not cheap Chinese drywall oversized shacks.

How do I know this? Because I walk their dogs, and I see their home interiors on a daily basis. The "houses" pictured in the story are for Kohl's managers who think they're getting a promotion.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
My uncle bought a newly built townhouse in NOVA back in 2014. It's already starting to fall apart. He already had a water leak and several people in his development are trying to file a lawsuit against the building company. I remember the first time I walked into his townhouse I saw the poorly done drywall seams and I knew it wasn't built well. You could tell they built these things as quick as possible so that they can go on to the next project. Unfortunately homes in that area are being snatched up well before they are even built so the demand outweighs the supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate