Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,599 times

Advertisements

OSB is not fit for a bird house and modern builders are a joke compared to craftsmen of the past

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20181115.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
My brother-in-law told us years ago he only wanted to buy a 5-10 year old property because all the issues would be fixed. Then he built his trophy home, gorgeous and I never heard about any building probs. 10 years later he's moving to a 5 year old home because the trophy home HOA dues went bonkers. I wonder hmmm.

We are 3rd owners of a 25 year old home in FL and avoided Chinese drywall issues, pipes that leak in walls and other reported lawsuits. It was not built by a "nationwide" builder, built by a reputable local builder whose reputation meant something to them. A 25 year old home needs more maintenance than a newer home but it's better than new shoddy building with leaks and mold.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
More replies on this same Philadelphia Inquirer article: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...intrusion.html

Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I agree with you on OSB. When our own roof was replaced, the only part of the sheeting that needed to be redone was a part over the covered deck that had been done in OSB. The rest of the plywood sheeting was still good.

However... if the OSB is getting wet, something else has already gone wrong. Roofing or siding or flashing systems have let the water in. Something else has failed. OSB is fine when it's dry. It doesn't hold up worth a damn if it gets wet.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
OSB is not the issue. OSB is not the culprit.
Workmanship that allows water intrusion and schlock design that creates production difficulty and makes water intrusion too easy are culprits. Dry OSB has a very good service lifespan.

I have torn enough rotten plywood and dimensional lumber out of houses to know these points to be true.

The builders who contract with consumers to provide a new home and deflect all quality issues onto subcontractors WHOM THEY HIRE are the root of the problem.
No home buyer signs contracts with subs. The builders do that. They vet, select, hire, schedule, and direct the work and then attempt to avoid all responsibility for the outcome.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:14 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OSB is not the issue. OSB is not the culprit.
Workmanship that allows water intrusion and schlock design that creates production difficulty and makes water intrusion too easy are culprits. Dry OSB has a very good service lifespan.

I have torn enough rotten plywood and dimensional lumber out of houses to know these points to be true.

The builders who contract with consumers to provide a new home and deflect all quality issues onto subcontractors WHOM THEY HIRE are the root of the problem.
No home buyer signs contracts with subs. The builders do that. They vet, select, hire, schedule, and direct the work and then attempt to avoid all responsibility for the outcome.
All very true, except for the bold - I don't think there's any vetting process.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
I've seen and heard too many horror stories about new construction- months-long delays, additional charges for anything not "builder grade" (which seems to mean anything beyond bare light bulb fixtures, cheap wall-to-wall carpeting, etc.), code violations, shortcuts, Chinese drywall... every home I've owned has withstood the test of time. Someone else has gone through the headaches and the unhappy surprises of getting it built and a good inspector can tell me what needs fixing. My current house was built in 1985, we bought it in 2015, very happy with it.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Over the years, I've bought a couple new houses ... and many more 5+ year old homes where the 'bugs' have been worked-out, landscaping is mature, the neighborhood and amenities are established, traffic patterns are in place - and new builder/sub problems have been uncovered. I'll stick with the latter. (The only thing one gets with new construction is a temporary image of "new").

Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
OSB isn't the original problem but as it's highly vulnerable to water damage, a problem that would have been less severe with a traditionally built house with, let's say 1" boards for sheathing, or even plywood, becomes a major one. I also am not impressed with modern house wrap. I've seen tyvek 20 years old or so breaking down and useless. Traditional builders felt works perfectly and lasts. Trapping moisture inside with moisture barriers for insulating purposes is also a big problem in new construction. Insulation that doesn't need a moisture barrier, such as mineral wool, is the best option there.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
All very true, except for the bold - I don't think there's any vetting process.

Well.... You should see the rejects...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate