Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

We bought a vacant house undergoing renovations by a flipper about 30 months ago. Happily settled until last month when the former owner had us served with eviction papers (indicating he was our Landlord) and shortly followed up by us being served as “additional defendants” in a lawsuit. His lawsuit is a case of “all defendants conspired to fraudulently take the house and the possessions therein.”

Soooo...... no concerns he’ll win his case. No concerns at all that his Eviction will hold up. We are on it, as far as legal representation, etc. Annoyed about our being sucked into his drama. In a nutshell, he failed to make his mortgage payments at all after 2011 and apparently had foreclosure proceedings against him as early as 2005! He represents himself pro se. He has filed 29 frivolous lawsuits and apparently choses to spend his retirement full time just working on his cases.

My concerns: This guy uses our address on his court filings. An attorney friend did a Lexus/Nexus search and he and wifey also use our address for vehicle and voting. So, likely, everything. We’ve of course let the post office know and complained to the DMV.

But his actions indicate to me that he and his wife are obsessed with our house. When I open or close window shutters, open the garage door, go outside or drive up to or away from the house.... I look for him or his truck (I know what he drives.)

I think I want to sell the house and buy something else in the neighborhood. My DH wants to stay here; he feels we shouldn’t be worried and the guy is bored and harmless. But I’m ready to sell. Do you agree with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
And let him win just by being a jerk?

No way.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We bought a vacant house undergoing renovations by a flipper about 30 months ago. Happily settled until last month when the former owner had us served with eviction papers (indicating he was our Landlord) and shortly followed up by us being served as “additional defendants” in a lawsuit. His lawsuit is a case of “all defendants conspired to fraudulently take the house and the possessions therein.”

Soooo...... no concerns he’ll win his case. No concerns at all that his Eviction will hold up. We are on it, as far as legal representation, etc. Annoyed about our being sucked into his drama. In a nutshell, he failed to make his mortgage payments at all after 2011 and apparently had foreclosure proceedings against him as early as 2005! He represents himself pro se. He has filed 29 frivolous lawsuits and apparently choses to spend his retirement full time just working on his cases.

My concerns: This guy uses our address on his court filings. An attorney friend did a Lexus/Nexus search and he and wifey also use our address for vehicle and voting. So, likely, everything. We’ve of course let the post office know and complained to the DMV.

But his actions indicate to me that he and his wife are obsessed with our house. When I open or close window shutters, open the garage door, go outside or drive up to or away from the house.... I look for him or his truck (I know what he drives.)

I think I want to sell the house and buy something else in the neighborhood. My DH wants to stay here; he feels we shouldn’t be worried and the guy is bored and harmless. But I’m ready to sell. Do you agree with me?
Personally, if it was my house and I really liked it, I would dig in my heels like a stubborn mule. When I make a house my home, no one is going to get me out of it. I would do whatever it takes to keep that obsessive SOB away from my home and off my back. At the very least I'd install a good security system and let the local police know what's going on with this guy. It doesn't sound like he has any standing at all in civil court though, so that's good - just annoying as heck. however, your tolerance for crazy may very. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2019, 09:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Are you required by law to disclose this ridiculousness? I’d be ticked if I bought your house, and former owner, and you didn’t share it.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
We are on it, as far as legal representation, etc. Annoyed about our being sucked into his drama.
But his actions indicate to me that he and his wife are obsessed with our house.
Obsessed with their last physical tie to a 'normal' existence.

Quote:
I think I want to sell the house... But I’m ready to sell. Do you agree with me?
Nope. At least not if moving out requires that you sell first.

iow... if you can afford to move and let the house sit...
(for the next 30 months or so as the legal circus runs it's course)... then maybe so.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:56 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
If you let people like that make you move, when you are 100% right and they are 100% wrong, then you will be running from problems the rest of your life.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Counter sue him for filing a frivolous lawsuit against you, Maybe even have a word with the people who wrote your owners title policy. If he parks in front of your house, sick the cops on him... they will at least talk to him.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:

You aren't going ot be able to sell until the lawsuit is settled. And then, maybe he will obsess on something else. Wait until then, and then decide how annoying he still is.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Are you required by law to disclose this ridiculousness? I’d be ticked if I bought your house, and former owner, and you didn’t share it.
We are not required to disclose this. And, since we are the first residents of the house since his removal, and bought the house from the flipper, we are the subject of his distain. A subsequent owner has no possibility of ever being in contact with the flipper we bought the house from. Most of his filings have been against the guy who bought the house on the courthouse steps and ultimately evicted them. His case against us is contention that we conspired with that flipper. We, of course, did not know the guy we bought the house from but I can see how his contorted mind might construe that to be a possibiity.

A 2nd owner, bought through the house listed on the MLS, would be way far removed from the whole chain of custody.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You aren't going ot be able to sell until the lawsuit is settled. And then, maybe he will obsess on something else. Wait until then, and then decide how annoying he still is.
Lawsuit scheduled to be heard and both our motion and other defendants (he has listed 4 parties on this complaint including us) are requesting “Motion Dismissed” later this month. Almost all his lawsuits are dismissed and he has lost all the ones that have been heard. He is in his 4th bankruptcy so going after him for damages is not going to happen.

We have to wait until we get a 5-day notice to vacate before we are allowed to respond to the Eviction Order. (Different Court) Then we will file our Motion to Dismiss on that. He is likely not going to file for the 5-day. That would require he proves legitimacy; the notice to evict can be filed by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate