Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 03:43 PM

103 posts, read 52,793 times

Advertisements

In the area I live--there are so many existing and new apartment complexes that it seems new one's pop up every week or two. A good friend of mine suggests that due to student loan obligations so many younger folks are left out of the home buying market. But then I reply that when their Gen X or "boomer" parents pass-on, they will not only inherit property but lots of dough too.

It is interesting to ponder, just wondering if any one else has any thoughts on the subject. Just think how strong the housing market would be were there not so much student debt out there. Kinda interesting. Whaddya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
But then I reply that when their Gen X or "boomer" parents pass-on, they will not only inherit property but lots of dough too.
Most people don't have enough saved for retirement, let alone passing on tons of dough and property. Why in the world would you think most Millenials are getting a windfall?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:31 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Student loan debt may be keeping some young people from buying, but I think job instability plays a bigger role. Renting means much less commitment to a location than owning, which is a big advantage when you suddenly find you need to move in order to start a new job.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
According to some studies, it's more due to social changes than student loan debt.
For one they are getting married later in life. For another the majority (88%) live in urban settings where renting is the preferred way to live.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/re...-buying-homes/

Old 11-13-2019, 05:48 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
I don't think so. Median student loan monthly payments are $222. https://studentloanhero.com/student-...bt-statistics/

That's probably the same as what is spent on coffee, eating out, big data plans, and streaming services. If millennials really wanted to overcome their student loan burden they could.

The bigger factor is a pace of home construction not keeping up with population growth. This is inexorably driving up the price of houses.

The real financial barrier is saving up the down payment for very high purchase prices.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:27 PM

103 posts, read 52,793 times
Great feedback so far, thanks all! I guess a lot of younger folks (under 30) just don't have the same desire of home ownership as our generation. As stated by your replies, many factors involved, but primarily the fact that alot of these millennials do not view same employer as long term and are as equally likely to switch jobs and or careers for the next best new opportunity that comes along, perhaps. Very interesting. Sure I'm aware of population growth but it's hard to believe so many prefer paying rent in my baby boomer mind.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
But then I reply that when their Gen X or "boomer" parents pass-on, they will not only inherit property but lots of dough too.
If Millennials are waiting for their parents to kick the bucket and leave them a bunch of money, they might be waiting a long time. And if there is an inheritance, a few years in a nursing home may eat it all up.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:25 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Sales are down in Bangkok and they are blaming car loans and more stringent mortgage applications. Likely a similar scenario in the US. Might have more to do with the huge student loans often not producing a well paying job.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:41 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,338,548 times
My kids have no student loan debt and both have excellent jobs. Both are in their 30's and live with girlfriends. Neither is interested in owning a house. Both live in the city (one east coast and one west coast), rent apartments and walk to work, bars, restaurants. They don't seem to be unusual for their age group.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:26 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
In the area I live--there are so many existing and new apartment complexes that it seems new one's pop up every week or two. A good friend of mine suggests that due to student loan obligations so many younger folks are left out of the home buying market. But then I reply that when their Gen X or "boomer" parents pass-on, they will not only inherit property but lots of dough too.

It is interesting to ponder, just wondering if any one else has any thoughts on the subject. Just think how strong the housing market would be were there not so much student debt out there. Kinda interesting. Whaddya think?
I hear people my age saying they cant get a house because of student debt.Most people will inherit either nothing or not enough to live on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate