Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 09:04 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times

Advertisements

When I last listed my house, my agent had me use a showingtime app to deal with showings. I got a text with date and time frame and no other information. I didn't know the name of the showing agent at all. None of the agents left cards, although they were supposed to (per my agent).

I would ask my agent for the name of the showing agent and sometimes he'd answer and sometimes not.

I don't understand the secrecy.

Is this common practice? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Our ShowingTime sends them the name of the agent and the brokerage and their phone number... And agents should always leave a card. That’s what is common practice here.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
Never attribute to a desire for secrecy that which can be explained by laziness.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:31 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Many agents don't even have cards any more, and many struggle to come up with one. Get into a house on a rainy day, and no card? They aren't going back to the car to get one.

Here, the request for leaving a card is extremely uncommon, to the point of near non-existence.
Is leaving a card the market norm in the area of your last sale?

As far as knowing the showing agent, what is the need? Sellers too often overthink details like these.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
Yes, it's common practice here to leave a card. Also, it lets the seller know that an agent has been by. It's a courtesy. Although, I was supposed to get a text when the showing was over, that never happened.

Why do I want to know? Because it's still my house and why shouldn't I know? Knowing the name of a stranger who's been in my house is no small detail.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Yes, it's common practice here to leave a card. Also, it lets the seller know that an agent has been by. It's a courtesy. Although, I was supposed to get a text when the showing was over, that never happened.

Why do I want to know? Because it's still my house and why shouldn't I know? Knowing the name of a stranger who's been in my house is no small detail.
I don't know why showingtime doesn't share that with owners. We as listing agents get the name of the showing agent, so if something gets broken or missing we know who and when the home was shown. I still don't understand why you need that info? How does it help or benefit you and why does it matter?

If you need the agent name, is that enough or should we take it farther? Should you also be getting the name of the buyer that is in your home being shown by the agent? Do you need the name of the inspectors and appraiser after it sells?

As a seller, I suggest that you stop thinking of it as your house and start thinking of it as something you're selling. It may help you think more objectively and less emotionally. This a transaction, try not to think it as anything more.

Good luck, happy selling, and I hope it helped some!

Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here, the request for leaving a card is extremely uncommon, to the point of near non-existence.
Around here, leaving a card seems to be the common practice. However, I've never seen an agent leave a card after showing a land parcel. That seems to be a common courtesy, too.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many agents don't even have cards any more, and many struggle to come up with one. Get into a house on a rainy day, and no card? They aren't going back to the car to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Around here, leaving a card seems to be the common practice. However, I've never seen an agent leave a card after showing a land parcel. That seems to be a common courtesy, too.

Leaving a card is not only common courtesy here, it's required with substantial fines possible if not.

Not on usually on vacant land, though I bet if you left a weatherproof box on the property people would! If there is so much as a wellhouse, we usually will stick a card in it.

Mike - Agents don't even have cards any more? Really?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:59 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Common here but merely a courtesy, but fewer agents are doing it now. Not sure if it's because they are younger or newer and not taught that, but whatever.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:18 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,435,786 times
Almost no one leaves cards or keeps a sign a sheet at the house, unless the sellers request. Almost all requests done via showingtime app or the showing agents contacts the listing agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate