Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times

Advertisements

We had an interesting thread about the milineals not buying homes, I thought it would be interesting to hear comments about how telecommuting is changing people's buying habits, and one would think the minerals would be a big part of this, as they would benefit more from living in a lower cost area. The tech companies are quite young. However, based on housing costs in the big tech hubs, it looks more like everyone wants to live within five miles of HQ. What are your experiences with this? Do you see buyers showing up in obscure locations not at all concerned about work, but making sure there is good broadband? Is poor rural broadband a nail in the coffin for some very cheap, half abandoned communities? Is it just a trickle of folks doing this, or is it a rapidly changing dynamic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
100% telecommuting is still pretty rare overall, the more common form is telecommuting a few days a week, and having a shared space with someone who has a different telecommute schedule.

As for the impact, not sure as the 100% telecommute is rare, whoever, having to physically go to work one or two days a week would allow someone to tolerate longer commute times, so possibly live further away.

A good Internet connection is something many people want, not just telecommuters.

I work from home 100% of the time, but I choose to live in the city, in a condo.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:06 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
As a retiree wanting to live in a cozy scenic area, i am in competition with a good number of “work from home” folks with good incomes. Where once i would have had an easier time finding a nice house, now availability is being diminished, particularly by those telecommuters without children who don’t need impressive school systems.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 AM

247 posts, read 235,564 times
Many young professionals want to live in a hip area with lots of amenities, dining, nightlife etc - and they aren’t finding that in rural areas. Of course some people want a quieter lifestyle, but they’re nowhere near the majority.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
No, only about 3% of the American workforce telecommutes only half the time.

https://www.flexjobs.com/2017-State-...ecommuting-US/

Old 11-16-2019, 10:04 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,909,939 times
Depends on the work and on the person I think. Some work pretty much all the time it looks like. Others like a cool place to get a little entertainment at break time and also a good place to have a work out of some sort.

One guy I know wants a divorce seriously or a bigger house. (Some of these people can be 'sheldons' too.) Either way is okay with him at this time. He lives in his own world in a separate room and has work that takes a lot of time and quiet, which he feels he doesn't get with a young child around.

Another situation...I know the wife and she and her husband decided they would stay together if she can find a house where he could have a very separated and quiet office away from the kids and daily flurry of normal activity. He doesn't have time to look. His own kids actually live with their mom and rarely visit dad. And now he is okay with sort of the same situation in his next home except that he, his wife and his two kids with her will be in the same house. They are looking at a two family living type of situation and they have actually been able to find a small few of those.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 11-16-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-16-2019, 10:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
We had an interesting thread about the milineals not buying homes, I thought it would be interesting to hear comments about how telecommuting is changing people's buying habits, and one would think the minerals would be a big part of this, as they would benefit more from living in a lower cost area. The tech companies are quite young. However, based on housing costs in the big tech hubs, it looks more like everyone wants to live within five miles of HQ. What are your experiences with this? Do you see buyers showing up in obscure locations not at all concerned about work, but making sure there is good broadband? Is poor rural broadband a nail in the coffin for some very cheap, half abandoned communities? Is it just a trickle of folks doing this, or is it a rapidly changing dynamic?

Both myself and spouse work at home. Well, at least my spouse does, right now, I’ve taken time off in anticipation of a move next year. Even so, it’s not difficult for a licensed P&C, L&H agent to find a job working from home.

About a dozen or more years ago, my spouse was working in a beautiful office, next to Tempe Town Lake, a big fancy office, killer view, but the office was almost always empty, since the guys already had the option to work from home. Corporate closed down that expensive office and told the engineers to work at home permanently. If his company realized that they could save a lot of money by having the guys telecommute, other Corporate offices realize it too. The future is the rapidly changing dynamic that you mention. I was one of the first work at home employees in the office in my last job in AZ. Those of us who were interested filled out a form and they chose people based on sales volume, being dependable and so on. I heard that some people who wanted the work at home program would never get it, because the company thought they’d take advantage. There will always be people in offices who need regular guidance from their supes.

It’s a good feeling to not worry about living in a particular spot to be close to work. Unfortunately, we went too rural, and really dislike this area. The broadband is barely adequate here. There are none of the city amenities that we enjoyed. At first it was great, a beautiful house with land, but after getting to know this area/people/drugs, the novelty wore off a long time ago. What’s the use of having several pot stores close by, if you don’t smoke? That’s the thing about having so much freedom to choose a place to live, you have to tread carefully. We would have been better off moving to a certain area to commute, because it would have meant living closer to a city. On the positive side, the horses love it, so it’s not all bad.

Telecommuting is the future, because employers can still keep track of your hours by noting the time you log into your computer, breaks, lunch and signing off. If local, they can always have you come in for meetings. The company can save money by renting out smaller office space, so it’s a benefit to them too.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:33 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
Our Millennial daughter daughter has just relocated to a very rural area of California and is now telecommuting. The internet is good because of presence of the military. Her husband works for the DoD and he needs to be in this area. There are very few jobs for college grads except for engineering, medical, and education. She had been on her job 9+ years and is in a niche position, so she was able to do this.

Her main concern, other than work, is meeting friends in a new place. There is a group for young professionals (up to age 40), and many community organizations for a small isolated town, probably because there is a highly educated population living nearby. Sadly, some established organizations discourage young members because they hold their meetings in the daytime on weekdays, but there are enough others that do offer evening meetings so working people may be able to attend and potentially join. There are also churches and musical organizations in the nearby community, and sport activities.

Incidentally, they did buy a home and plan to remain for some time.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:55 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I get rental applicants that are telecommuting. I'm in a lovely recreation area so it is a desirable place to live.

I would guess that the telecommuters are either working close to the home office so they can go into the office when needed, or else they are packing up their bags and moving to highly desirable places to live. They aren't getting scattered evenly around the country.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-16-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 01:33 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, only about 3% of the American workforce telecommutes only half the time.

https://www.flexjobs.com/2017-State-...ecommuting-US/
to whit ...

Quote:
Highlights from The 2017 State of Telecommuting in the U.S. Employee Workforce report include:

*3.9 million U.S. employees, or 2.9 percent of the total U.S. workforce, work from home at least half of the time, up from 1.8 million in 2005 (a 115 percent increase since 2005).
*The average telecommuter is 46 years of age or older, has at least a bachelor’s degree, and earns a higher median salary than an in-office worker.
*Roughly the same population of women and men telecommute.
*Telecommuting is more common among employees over 35 years of age and most common among Baby Boomers.
*In more than half of the top U.S. metro areas telecommuting exceeds public transportation as the commute option of choice. It has grown far faster than any other commute mode.
Maybe if there are a few larger employers who allow folks to telecommute, and a significant % of their workers do, then around their main office there would be a real estate effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate