Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 01:24 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
congratulations!!! Are you in area where you have to heat/cool often? This would be my only problem with a big house.
Not really. Indiana. I use window fans a lot during the fall and spring to save in heating and cooling costs. Overnight when its cool I blow air in and then close the windows when I leave during the day to trap it in. Also, right now its getting in the 50's at night and 70 during the day, so I don't need to use the heater at all.

Last edited by Berteau; 10-06-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 01:30 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Only if the home is historic, old, beautiful architecture worth saving .. and you can afford it.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Not really. Indiana. I use window fans a lot during the fall and spring to save in heating and cooling costs. Overnight when its cool I blow air in and then close the windows when I leave during the day to trap it in. Also, right now its getting in the 50's at night and 70 during the day, so I don't need to use the heater at all.
That sounds great.

Pictures or it did not happen

no, seriously, homeownership is one of the best things you can experience in life. Congratulations!

Old 10-06-2020, 03:45 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Update. I just bought a 2100 sq ft house and love it. It doesn't feel too big for me like I thought it might. I've got 2 spare bedrooms for family and guests, a loft I use as a weight lifting and workout room, and converted the dining room to an office.
Congratulations! I'm widowed and have a house with an 1800 sq. foot footprint but half the walk-out basement area is living space as well. Late DH and I had had a McMansion before that and it felt way too big- too many rooms, too many bathrooms to clean, living on 3 floors, high utilities. This is much more manageable and when DS and DDIL visit (only a few times a year) with their 3 kids there's room for everyone. I can still do all the cleaning and lawn and garden maintenance myself. Sounds like you got just the right size.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:56 PM

256 posts, read 114,327 times
As a single person I would never buy such a monstrously large house, but if that's what you're into I hope it works out. If you eventually get married and divorced, your ex might wind up with it though...

Old 10-07-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
As a single person I would never buy such a monstrously large house, but if that's what you're into I hope it works out. If you eventually get married and divorced, your ex might wind up with it though...
Monstrously large?? Its not a McMansion. Marriage and divorce might be a long time away. Plus if my future wife doesn't make us buy a new house it will be the perfect house to grow into. Or if she has a smaller house we would have to move into mine!

Old 10-07-2020, 11:03 AM

256 posts, read 114,327 times
Quote:
Monstrously large?? Its not a McMansion. Marriage and divorce might be a long time away. Plus if my future wife doesn't make us buy a new house it will be the perfect house to grow into. Or if she has a smaller house we would have to move into mine!
Well, you call it 'growing into', but to me it's extravagant, wasteful and just encourages accumulating lots of crap. I'm single and my current house is about 750' sq, and it's actually a little bigger than I want. After I sell it I'll probably move back into a 500' sq apartment.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:04 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
I'm 37 and single and am going to buy a house soon, but I have no wife or kids to share it with, but I would like a family. I've always dreamed of a big home like in the link below (2,426 sq ft), but it would be lonely and pointless to have such a large home just for me. I've always lived in studio apts before, and don't need the space. What are your thoughts? Would you get a house like this in my situation?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...73226516_zpid/
I’m single with no kids but have visitors for the holidays. 2400 sq ft is the sweet spot for me. I grew up in NYC apartments and like my elbow room now.
BTW nice house! It looks like my house in Asheville NC.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m single with no kids but have visitors for the holidays. 2400 sq ft is the sweet spot for me. I grew up in NYC apartments and like my elbow room now.
BTW nice house! It looks like my house in Asheville NC.
I didn't get that house. I got a different one.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
Well, you call it 'growing into', but to me it's extravagant, wasteful and just encourages accumulating lots of crap. I'm single and my current house is about 750' sq, and it's actually a little bigger than I want. After I sell it I'll probably move back into a 500' sq apartment.
I've been in small apartments my whole life, and I don't accumulate crap. 500 sq ft is on the extreme to the small side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate