Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 01:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times

Advertisements

Personally, there's no such thing as too much space. If you buy 2,500 sqft as a single person, you'll find a way to use every square foot. If you buy 5,000 sqft, you'll find a way to use every square foot. Look for a layout where you can easily join two of the bedrooms into one suite and use it as one larger bedroom. I like each of my spaces to be fit for purpose and permanent - none of this shuffling furniture around to turn a home office/theater into a guest room. Also, there's no such thing as too much closet space.

I'm single and I'm looking in that square footage range, but I'm looking for a townhouse because I hate yard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 12:05 AM

256 posts, read 114,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Personally, there's no such thing as too much space. If you buy 2,500 sqft as a single person, you'll find a way to use every square foot.
That's exactly the problem; not only is expensive it encourages the accumulation of too much crap. As I said, I only have about 750' sq and it's a little more space than I need or want.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:34 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
That's exactly the problem; not only is expensive it encourages the accumulation of too much crap. As I said, I only have about 750' sq and it's a little more space than I need or want.
It's not necessarily a problem if you can afford the extra space.

I'm lazy and I don't like shuffling furniture around, so I want dedicated spaces for everything. I have 750sqft now and it'll do for about a year but I want triple that long term. It's not necessarily because I have a lot of crap. I really don't. I just like a spacious home.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
It's not necessarily a problem if you can afford the extra space.

I'm lazy and I don't like shuffling furniture around, so I want dedicated spaces for everything. I have 750sqft now and it'll do for about a year but I want triple that long term. It's not necessarily because I have a lot of crap. I really don't. I just like a spacious home.
All these talks of 750 sq ft are interesting, because if you include a finished basement I have around 10x that amount of space for my family. Everything has its place and during COVID having 2 dedicated home offices and areas for the kids to do homework has been helpful.

I don’t begrudge anyone’s opinion, but everyone’s needs and wishes are different. I’d actually pity a family sharing 750 sq ft right now.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I'm 37 and single and am going to buy a house soon, but I have no wife or kids to share it with, but I would like a family. I've always dreamed of a big home like in the link below (2,426 sq ft), but it would be lonely and pointless to have such a large home just for me. I've always lived in studio apts before, and don't need the space. What are your thoughts? Would you get a house like this in my situation?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...73226516_zpid/

If I were your age and single I would buy THAT house in a heartbeat. When it comes time to sell at some future date, it will go for a premium price. But since that's not for sale it's hard to comment without knowing what you are looking at that IS for sale.

I'm single, age 74, and downsized last year into 1400 sf, 3 BR, 2 BA, large LR and Fam RM, galley kitchen, small dining area, 2 car garage. Plenty of room for me.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I didn't get that house. I got a different one.
Congrats on your new house. You dodged a bullet. According to the stats at Zillow, the owner has been trying to sell it for $299 but was having issues. Looks like it finally did sell in April. They thought they had a sale at $295 but it didn't go thru. I'm only seeing details from 2019. In my area they have a lot more history.

As for women wanting their own house when they get married, I moved into my hub's house that he had for 20 years. It was a smallish rancher, 3 bedrooms, one full bath with a bathroom that had a shower in the master. We eventually sold it 12 years ago. We've been together 20 years

Old 10-10-2020, 10:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
I bought a 4 bedroom 2600 sqft house by myself 25 year male lol realtors thought I was bs’in when I was getting them.

But 800+ credit score and income was sufficient. I spent 4K day one insulation, air tight, etc. my bills dropped over 50% across board. Spent hundreds on all led fixtures and bulbs, reduced energy equal 50%

No waste space or energy.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:32 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
Well, you call it 'growing into', but to me it's extravagant, wasteful and just encourages accumulating lots of crap. I'm single and my current house is about 750' sq, and it's actually a little bigger than I want. After I sell it I'll probably move back into a 500' sq apartment.
All the larger homes I’ve seen did not have a lot of “crap” accumulated. It is always the small lower priced homes where the owners have crap everywhere. Anything from clothes just randomly laying on the floor to junk or anything. People with nice large homes take care of them and are generally responsible and clean.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 PM

425 posts, read 418,993 times
Before I bought my first home, I lived in 2BR apartments of 850sf to 950sf, and they always seemed large enough to me for splitting comfortably with a roommate.

The largest home I've owned was 1875sf (not including a utility room and a back yard shed). For the first six months or so, I felt a sense of pride in being able to purchase a nicer, larger home than my parents owned. After that - it was simply where I lived, a door to unlock and walk into a space each day from work.

There were 2 bedrooms and a den that I didn't really use. The rooms merely accumulated clutter and junk mail.

It had a large deck and a smaller deck, and I felt like the smaller one was more cozy and inviting to sit on by myself with a coffee while browsing my phone. Large utility bills to heat and cool the space, even with some of the floor registers blocked off.

Then I began noticing the maintenance that the house needed... Siding, roofing, cluttered gutters, decks to restain, water infiltrating the utility room. More expense to shoulder.

So I fixed it up, and rented it out to a family, then moved to a 2BR house that's about 1250sf.

Even in this one, I feel like I don't really use the extra bedroom or bathroom, or the dining room. If I felt motivated, I could probably wall off the house into separate halves, to create an apartment to rent on one side, and feel quite comfortable just living in the other side of the house.

In essence, I've concluded that 550-650sf is plenty for a single person. (Assuming that you're the type that does not have hobbies which involve accumulating a lot of tools and equipment.)

Last edited by SGMI; 10-10-2020 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-12-2020, 04:47 AM

566 posts, read 592,868 times
People are exiting high tax areas in record numbers.
Those vacant tax bills will get passed along to who now?

It's great... I mean REALLY great that you have the capacity to own a home in this capacity.

Why not forego a larger income and buy a smaller home
and invest the extra money for that nest egg down the road

Do what a millionaire would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate