Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 04:40 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times

Advertisements

A realtor told me that sales are slower and prices lower during an election year. I had not heard this before. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 04:48 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
I suppose if you were concerned that your job might be negatively effected by a new administration you might wait a while before buying a home. If you need to buy a home ASAP, I don't think it really matters. I don't think sellers stop listing their home during an election year.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:54 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Maybe in Washington DC and surrounding suburbs. I don't think the rest of the country is going to care.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:00 PM

9,890 posts, read 4,653,413 times
It depends on the market. If there are a lot of jobs related to very public policy in some way it could have an effect.

What could happen is actual investors might ease up which could add supply and lower price. But a hot market is hot market which usually means location which is business or weather related in someway. But a cheapER market might hold steady.

I heard the samething last spring. After the tax cuts I knew some sellers that were told to wait a few months see what happens.

If flipping is easing up in your area that could be the biggest issue if it puts a significant number of houses in the local market supply. Or maybe the banks don't want to hold on to their foreclosures as long and they start selling at get rid of it now prices.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
I bet it matters in Houston, or anywhere else people's income depend on the energy sector.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:23 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Extreme partisanship coupled with overheated mindless rhetoric makes folks uneasy. Uneasy people hesitate.
It ain't the elections. It's about public behaviors by our "leaders."

This is a wholly non-partisan statement, FWIW.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
prices wouldn't be lower unless sales were slower - that is, unless it took longer to sell a home and morer sellers reduced their price.

I completely agree with Mike that there is an unmeasurable subset of people who get wrapped up in elections, and who will put off any buying decision from about August until the new year during a 4 year election cycle.

I will add that I looked at November quarterly sales (so Sept-Nov) in my market for the last 8 years, and there was no correlation in 2012, 2016, or even 2018.

At the same time, our market has been strong enough that buyers couldn't have the "I'll wait for election results, the market will be slow" mindset anyway.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:19 AM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
A realtor told me that sales are slower and prices lower during an election year. I had not heard this before. Is there any truth to this?
Probably not.

An RE agent will tell you whatever is necessary to get you to buy/sell.

Classic exchange: Late-2006 in Phx.

Ground zero for housing meltdown which was just around the corner.

Me: It seems sales have slowed. I'm hearing talk of a pending crash.

Re Agent: Oh, no! That's not correct. The Phx metro has now entered into a "normal market"

Old 12-21-2019, 11:24 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Extreme partisanship coupled with overheated mindless rhetoric makes folks uneasy. Uneasy people hesitate.
It ain't the elections. It's about public behaviors by our "leaders."

This is a wholly non-partisan statement, FWIW.
I was going to say something similar, but Mike said it so well I thought I'd just point out how excellent and accurate his post was. Any time there is uncertainty about the future it makes some people hesitant in all markets (stocks, real estate, etc).

Old 12-21-2019, 12:39 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I bet it matters in Houston, or anywhere else people's income depend on the energy sector.
Why? the price of energy is not a Houston or even a Texas thing, the price of energy is global. You have more wind power in Texas than any other state. Houston may be affected by the number of refineries that blow up because of limited regulations. The only way housing is affected if your job is dependent on the party in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate