Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 10:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times

Advertisements

Could someone explain the difference in land share 55+ mobile home parks ? im not sure I quite understand that and im trying to help a senior lady at our church . She wants to sell her house here and move to florida and she saw some mobile homes she liked but she wants to know what land share means . I told her I would try and find out for her .she is a widow and she is 63 and wants to make the move before she gets much older . thanks for any help in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 10:46 AM

1,185 posts, read 749,470 times
Some of them are basically a condo community or co-op where you buy into a share of the overall community, including common areas, etc.

Others are owned by a separate entity and you're renting the space for the home each month.

Also, 63 isn't that old... not by a far cry. She should be able to do her own research.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
https://www.tampabaymobilehomesforsa...a-mobile-home/

Old 12-30-2019, 05:51 PM

5,953 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Could someone explain the difference in land share 55+ mobile home parks ? im not sure I quite understand that and im trying to help a senior lady at our church . She wants to sell her house here and move to florida and she saw some mobile homes she liked but she wants to know what land share means . I told her I would try and find out for her .she is a widow and she is 63 and wants to make the move before she gets much older . thanks for any help in advance .
My guess is that "land share" means that you own the MH and the LAND that the MH sits on, and you SHARE in the ownership of the common grounds and common facilities. This means you'll pay a monthly POA fee which will go toward maintenance of a clubhouse, swimming pool, street lights, and/or anything else that is owned in common with all the rest of the people who own land in the development.

Typically, this is a FAR better way to go if you are able to afford the initial purchase. Of course, before moving into any community, do some research. I would especially ask to have a copy of the current year's budget and a copy of the assets and liability statement for the community. It's also good to get these statements for recent years so that you can see how the finances are trending for the community.

Pay special attention to how much money they have in "reserves" for financial emergencies. If they have very little or no reserves, that's not a good sign because if they had to make some large unexpected repair, they would have to assess all the owners for money to pay for it. Also ask when was the last time they had to have a special assessment. Talk with several different owners in the park and get their feeling for how things are being run. Keep in mind that many of these owners may not have a lot of knowledge of the financial situation, but if you can get the financial statements, you can have them evaluated by someone who is familiar with such things if you're not able to review them yourself.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
My guess is that "land share" means that you own the MH and the LAND that the MH sits on, and you SHARE in the ownership of the common grounds and common facilities. This means you'll pay a monthly POA fee which will go toward maintenance of a clubhouse, swimming pool, street lights, and/or anything else that is owned in common with all the rest of the people who own land in the development.

Typically, this is a FAR better way to go if you are able to afford the initial purchase. Of course, before moving into any community, do some research. I would especially ask to have a copy of the current year's budget and a copy of the assets and liability statement for the community. It's also good to get these statements for recent years so that you can see how the finances are trending for the community.

Pay special attention to how much money they have in "reserves" for financial emergencies. If they have very little or no reserves, that's not a good sign because if they had to make some large unexpected repair, they would have to assess all the owners for money to pay for it. Also ask when was the last time they had to have a special assessment. Talk with several different owners in the park and get their feeling for how things are being run. Keep in mind that many of these owners may not have a lot of knowledge of the financial situation, but if you can get the financial statements, you can have them evaluated by someone who is familiar with such things if you're not able to review them yourself.
Sound advice.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:12 PM

It sound similar to a HOA but Mobile Homes instead of stick built homes. Were I looking, this is the arrangement I would want. FL has different legislation for various type associations such as condos, HOA's, etc. Find out which a Mobile Park Landshare arrangement falls under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate