Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Most women can’t and don’t even own power tools. Not ones I know. And there’s usually more to it than “operating a power tool.”
Oh God, please suck it. Before I met and married my husband, I did most of my own repairs/maintenance and owned quite a few power tools. We've combined our tools and now work together on projects.

I can't stand attitudes and opinions like this. Most of the single female homeowners I know are very capable with home maintenance...some are far more skilled at it than most men I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 08:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What’s your point? I didn’t say you couldn’t find YouTube videos of women making repairs, nor did I say no women could. I just said MOST. And if MOST women have a boyfriend of husband, the boyfriend or husband would be doing the handyman activities MOST of the time. And I have a large sample size of women by the way.
Even if a woman doesn't know how to do repairs, there's this new invention called "learning".

For what it's worth, I've seen the local Home Depot give classes on tool use specifically for women.

Having said that, it's convenient to perform simple repairs yourself, but if you can afford it there's nothing wrong with paying people to do repairs, as everyone has to do anyway when out of their depth.

There's also nothing wrong with living in an apartment or condo where your maintenance is handled by another party and costs are averaged out with the other residents.

I would also say that buying a house strictly as an investment is a poor idea; there's no guarantee your house will increase in value while you live there. Overall, it's economically unsustainable for housing prices to rise faster than inflation; you're counting on buying a house in the right neighborhood and/or selling at the top of the bubble. It's probably better than a coin flip, but there's still significant risk involved vs e.g. living in a cheaper home and investing the difference in the stock market.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I know too many men who are not allowed to have tools. Hand tools, power tools, whatever, due to a track record of destruction.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:49 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
some are far more skilled at it than most men I know.
Wait. Isn't this almost the exact same thing I said about women?? Yet you're now making this statement about men, but someone can't make it about women?? You should be ashamed. And you are just one of many women. You're individual skill level irrelevant to a claim about MOST women.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Women can fix stuff, but it takes a man to really screw it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
Attached Thumbnails
Should I bother to buy a Home if I despite House Repairs?-we-repair-what-your-husband-fixed.jpg  

Old 01-03-2020, 07:39 AM

105 posts, read 71,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
LOL...that's BS! Property maintained always goes up over time.
In times where interest rates were steadily declining for 40 years, along with population growth of 100m, this old adage may have been true. With the demographic shifts ahead, and rates about as far low as they'll go (Powell has ruled out NIRP), it's very possible we are at a real value peak that may not be seen for decades, as housing growth could underperform inflation and wage growth from here on out for quite some time, if not outright fall into a correction if unemployment ticks up.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
People have to live somewhere...

Paying mortgage that is the same or less than rent will build a nest egg overtime...

Rent is rent and once paid is gone...

That said there are places with negative population growth which bodes badly for property values...

If nothing else... a home can be a good tool to counter inflation...

But... I firmly believe home ownership is not for everyone... either mentally or financially.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Hey, I'm a 69 year old woman and have very few skills in home repair. I'm "mechanically challenged" (seriously, I took an aptitude test very early and had 98% verbal skills and 2% mechanical skills, lol). I literally can't comprehend some diagrams or videos if they have to do with wiring, etc. However, I owned my last house, which was 91 years old when I sold it, for 16 years. I did a LOT to that house through trusted tradespeople up to and including foundation work.
I think that speaks to the fact that it isn't mechanical aptitude that's required, its the ability to not get wound up and have the requisite personality to get three quotes and not get unspooled about problems that arise.

The personality that should rent is the person that loses it, jumps to the worst possible conclusions about the foundation issue, wants to sell the house since he's afraid it will fall down around him, etc...

The person that says, "I'll get three quotes and do my own research on google and write a check" is the person that is fine buying a house.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:09 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't see where home repairs are even an issue.

If you rent and it breaks, you call the landlord and he calls the handyman.

If you own and it breaks, you call the handyman.

Either way, you must be smart enough to operate a telephone.

(and yes, women can own and operate power tools and do repairs. What century are we hearing from?)

Old 01-04-2020, 10:29 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't see where home repairs are even an issue.

If you rent and it breaks, you call the landlord and he calls the handyman.

If you own and it breaks, you call the handyman.
The difference is, that if you rent and it breaks, and the landlord makes shoddy/delayed/inadequate/cheap repairs, all that's hurt is your convenience. If you own and it breaks, then you MUST fix it, otherwise you lose money when it's time to sell the house.

If I rent an apartment in an apartment-house where the roof leaks, resulting in mold and rotten wood, that's the landlord's problem. If he chooses not to fix it, or fixes it inadequately, then he gets punished, when he finally tries to sell the building. If I buy a house, and likewise neglect leaks and mold, then I'm going to be punished personally and dearly, when I try to sell the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate