Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Agreed. The only thing this agent was doing was preventing damage to the house. Unless there's a history of the toilets overflowing, I think preventing them from flushing toilets was a little over the top. However, if you're talking about forcing open a stuck window or ripping baseboards off the wall that's another story.

While "you break it, you buy it" doesn't apply in real estate, if you break something during the inspection you will be expected to repair it.
My father always said the First thing you do when buying a house on your inspecting is to flush the toilets...………...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 05:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post

6)this summer my husband installed a new electrical panel and discovered a section of knob and tube. He disconnected it since it was only a small single wire going up. We figured an outlet on the second floor. Turns out it was the upstairs hall light, 2 bedrooms and the bathroom as well as the entryway light. All on 1 breaker.

Good thing my husband is very handy and has fixed all of this except sanding and restain the floor. We did the demo and subfloor repair though.
Very common here with 1930's homes... knob and tube and I have owned and lived in several with zero issues.

Found most problems come when the knob and tube is molested by those no knowing what they are doing.

Utility companies still use knob and tube for transmission...

Old 01-18-2020, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,715 times
so i bought my homes Nov 2017 , the neighbor next door like to park his son car in the pathway of where i roll my trash can out to be pick up on Tuesdays , my trash cans are rolled out directly from my backyard to the curb, with his park directly in front of my property , not sure if i should approch him or not , only because he refuse to park any of his three cars he has park on the streets he does not park any cars in his driveway at all !!! except on street cleaning day. i need help with this because i don't won't any problems what should i do ?

Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
The house I owned prior to my current home: Moved in and the next morning I got up and took a shower. Walked downstairs and water from the shower was dripping down through the ceiling and pooling on top of the moving boxes in the living room directly beneath.

Yeah, that was a "fun" day.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:52 PM

705 posts, read 562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Don't be obtuse, they don't want you breaking the house. The window is stuck, it doesn't give you license to break something trying to pry it open. You can see it's stuck as clearly as you could a crack in the ceiling. Have the inspector check them and have the seller fix stuck windows. The Realtor has a professional reputation to uphold, part of which is not breaking or trashing houses.

I absolutely agree! There is no way I'd ever take baseboards off the wall in a home I'm just looking at OR getting inspected! That is just going too far!

Old 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 931 times
Yes, was told no bugs and there are seasonal water bugs aka roaches, bought a parking space in 2012 and management refuses to acknowledge my ownership with a certificate or anything else; now trying to charge me retro rental for the spot ($3,000). Dogs are barking in my building at all hours (mostly from one resident), several residents leave front building doors open unattended for hours.
I could go on....buyer beware. Management and board not much help. Looking to move asap since am an ideal owner who pays all the bills, etc. and deserve SO MUCH BETTER.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:39 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
You are all enforcing my buying my present and last home as new construction with an unlimited one year warranty from the builder.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:06 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
The house I bought in NJ after my divorce had a lot of "surprises". I did have an inspection but he was pretty useless. The disclosure asked about water issues and they put in some weasel words saying that there might be "a little" water in the basement after heavy rains if you didn't have the gutters cleaned regularly. The first heavy rainfall I was mopping about an inch of water from several areas of the basement intp the sump and then pumping it into the stationary tub in the laundry since the sump pump didn't work. That was a perpetual issue until I got the $$$ to have french drains and working sump pumps installed.

I also couldn't take a shower in the master bath because water leaked into the basement ceiling. I had it re-done (got rid of the pink tile!) and it turned out that there was no drain pan in the shower. The drain pan cost less than $10.

Really, I can't complain- it was a happy place for DS and me after living in a war zone and after buying it in 1997 for $350K I sold it in 2003 for $500K.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Our inspection showed some damp spots under the house near the exterior walls, which the owner claimed was probably due to heavy watering in the planter areas up against the house where they put new plants while getting the house fixed up to sell. No damage or old water stains were found so we let it go. This is CA, we have droughts off and on, so the first few years nothing happened, we even had people going under the house to do various things. But then the wet years and storms came and one day lifted the latch to the crawlspace that was in the center of our house and there was about an inch of standing water! After a few years and some unsuccessful 'quick fixes' we paid to have a french drain system installed around the property with a sump pump.

I still don't know if that inspection report was a red flag or if the problem really hadn't existed before. Maybe something changed over the 3-4 years before we found the water, but it was a huge expense.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
We had a pretty thorough inspection, so some problems were anticipated, but others... my god, it was one thing after another, all starting within weeks of closing. By the end of the first year, we spent probably $12k on badly needed repairs (half were surprises), as well as fixing the mistakes the previous owner made doing their “repairs”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate