Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 12:02 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times

Advertisements

When looking at a house that looks recently renovated should one pull or ask for the permits or is relying on the inspectors' report good enough. Would an inspector pull or look for the permits themselves as a normal course of business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Permits are not always required.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Inspectors are often on the realtors food chain so they "do not see" things the buyer should know. Always use independent roofers, plumbers, other professionals that do not have a financial interest in the outcome. Inspectors do not typically pull permits as the goal is to push the sale along for their buddies.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:24 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Not true. I recommend 3 inspectors that my past clients had a good experience with using.

It’s up the them to choose any. They are inspectors, not deal killers.

They likely don’t earn enough money from one licensee to stay in business.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Inspectors are often on the realtors food chain so they "do not see" things the buyer should know. Always use independent roofers, plumbers, other professionals that do not have a financial interest in the outcome. Inspectors do not typically pull permits as the goal is to push the sale along for their buddies.

This is what I've noticed. Local markets tend to have a mini cartel of realtors, inspectors, contractors etc. It's no coincidence that many sold homes wind up with the same contractor doing the same type of work. The inspectors know if they kill too many deals they won't be recommended. Same for contractors over charging although they also know that a negotiation between buyer and seller will take care of billing one way or another.

That being said since many experts and sites recommend checking for permits one would assume the inspector would at least offer that even if for an extra fee. I'm only talking obvious recent work.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:08 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
This is what I've noticed. Local markets tend to have a mini cartel of realtors, inspectors, contractors etc. It's no coincidence that many sold homes wind up with the same contractor doing the same type of work. The inspectors know if they kill too many deals they won't be recommended. Same for contractors over charging although they also know that a negotiation between buyer and seller will take care of billing one way or another.

That being said since many experts and sites recommend checking for permits one would assume the inspector would at least offer that even if for an extra fee. I'm only talking obvious recent work.

You know what happens when you assume. I suppose you can always ask your inspector, or hope that the owner discloses the status, but it is always best to do your own research as no one else will have your best interest ahead of theirs, especially when it comes to commissioned salespeople.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:24 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
If something was required to have a permit (not everything does), I would look at the permits in addition to hiring an inspector. I know someone who bought a house that, unbeknownst to him, had unpermitted work done. Complete nightmare. Ended up costing him a fortune because he basically had to undo and redo everything. His insurance company actually discovered it. And they refused to insure the house.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
When looking at a house that looks recently renovated should one pull or ask for the permits or is relying on the inspectors' report good enough. Would an inspector pull or look for the permits themselves as a normal course of business?
Inspectors don't usually pull or look for permits. They look at what they can see. They might be able to tell if something would or would not have passed a code inspection, if it had been sought.

These days - lots of permit information is available online. Search the county building dept website. Get it if you can, - print it out.... show it and discuss it with the inspector. It's all good information to talk about with the inspector and your agent.

As said above, lots of renovation work doesn't need a permit, so it depends what's been done.

FWIW, I recommend the three best inspectors I've come in contact with. I use them because they're thorough, good at explaining ALL issues to our client, and because they stand by their work, in the event they miss something (which has happened!)

Believe me, inspectors have killed several transactions of mine. Or rather, the house was BAD for my client and we rejected it. I couldn't be more appreciative when that happens. I don't want my clients buying a lemon, or a house with issues they aren't prepared to handle.

I never would recommend an inspector who would gloss over, or fail to draw attention to a serious issue.

You can use an inspector you pick out of a hat if you want... I just would hope you've check around a little to make sure he's actually good. I've done that with mine.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:57 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
And....
just_because's Mom dropped in for her quarterly troll on real estate agents!

Happy New Year, Heidi!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:11 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Do you keep this on file to copy and paste, or do you type it up independently every time?

To whoever cares, I am an agent and I like a quality inspection because I want my buyers to buy a home and be happy with it. If the buyer is happy, they'll call me when they sell. They'll tell their friends to call me when they buy or sell. If the inspector does a poor job, the buyer will tell all their friends I let them buy a lemon. They'll certainly not call me back or refer anyone to me. If they sue someone, I'll surely be included, and I don't want to be sued. The inspectors aren't going to look the other way just_because they get referrals from agents. They don't want to be sued either.

The only thing you said that rings true is that inspectors don't pull permits. That's not an inspectors job. Since you didn't know that, it makes your post even more suspect.

OP: You should make sure work requiring permits was property permitted. Your inspector will make sure work was done properly. His job is to give you a report on the condition of the mechanical and structural components on the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate