Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Weird question I know.

We recently viewed and fell in love with a property that has the potential to become a bed and breakfast and event space. We have staff lined up and have been looking at investment in this type of venture in a specific market out of state. In reading the disclosures and historical information about the property it is clear that one of the cottages used to be a slave quarter. We had planned to renovate it and turn it into a guest accommodation until we found that out.

I'm turned off to the property and think it would be better suited to an educational purpose. My mate thinks I am being silly and says that because of its location we are bound to run into.this sort of history: if we don't like it we should abandon our efforts in this market.

Looking for a general reaction...would this bother you as an investor? As a guest?
Tons of historic homes, both private residences and ones used for commercial purposes, have areas of the property/building that used to be associated with slaves in cities like Charleston, Savannah, etc. It doesn't seem to impact their business or value at all.

<shrug>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always hope that someone will save, preserve, these places. If the slave's housing rots and disintegrates, does that mean that it never existed. No, that just means that no one saved it. That seems worse to me.
Bingo.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:29 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would not buy it with that history for a business. a B&B is a hard business to begin with, no need to add extra negatives.
There are no negatives. No guest is going to know unless you tell them.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:31 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
There are no negatives. No guest is going to know unless you tell them.
If you have a house with a very established history how could you leave that part out?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I only thought that it was coincidentally appropriate. There was no need to suspiciously read something negative into my comment. All of your other comments and concerns expressed in this thread have been rather admirable.
Well I stand corrected. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
If you have a house with a very established history how could you leave that part out?
The same way you would leave out everything else that the guest doesn't need to know. Are you going to tell them about the skeletons in the new owner's closet?

It's not about the guests. It's about you. You have a problem with this situation, and you should therefore not buy the property.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
The same way you would leave out everything else that the guest doesn't need to know. Are you going to tell them about the skeletons in the new owner's closet?

It's not about the guests. It's about you. You have a problem with this situation, and you should therefore not buy the property.
I disagree that one should gloss over the uglier parts of history if your business is based in a historic location. "Oh the house was built pre Civil War...but we don't talk about anything until 1866." That's disrespectful and very white washy.

I do have a problem with how to handle this and may not be the right person to purchase this place. I agree. The comments on this thread are very interesting and repres6a wide range of options. I'm not alone in my discomfort. Others seem to think any consideration of the ugly parts of this properties past is irrational. Theres is clearly no "right" answer here so I appreciate the points that are raised. Gives me a lot to consider. I'm not taking this lightly.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

I agree that they should not buy this property. But there are groups that are actively targeting historic properties with a history of slavery that market themselves as wedding venues. The group Color of Change specifically has gotten Pinterest and The Knot to stop publishing ANY content with certain properties in it.

People are very sensitive about being called racist or the insinuation that they are "profiting" off the tragedy of others (they aren't), and so they are reacting quickly to avoid ANY conflict or bad press.

So it's not a matter of "just don't tell anyone."

Quote:

Also there may be bodies buried on the property as a "cemetery " plot is mentioned though no gravestones are standing. There are guesses about where it is. It's a large property.
It's very odd to me that a house this old wouldn't already have that info marked somewhere, unless the property had been in the same hands for 75 years or more.

Family cemeteries are usually known at the state level and at least marked on state archival maps, while slave cemeteries were commonly "lost' because they often were only marked with field stones.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:01 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Unless it was still being used to house slaves, I'd have no problem with it. Just stop with the Virtue Signaling, and over the top being offended. C'mon it is just a structure. I'd be more worried if it were haunted.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree that they should not buy this property. But there are groups that are actively targeting historic properties with a history of slavery that market themselves as wedding venues. The group Color of Change specifically has gotten Pinterest and The Knot to stop publishing ANY content with certain properties in it.

People are very sensitive about being called racist or the insinuation that they are "profiting" off the tragedy of others (they aren't), and so they are reacting quickly to avoid ANY conflict or bad press.

So it's not a matter of "just don't tell anyone."

It's very odd to me that a house this old wouldn't already have that info marked somewhere, unless the property had been in the same hands for 75 years or more.

Family cemeteries are usually known at the state level and at least marked on state archival maps, while slave cemeteries were commonly "lost' because they often were only marked with field stones.
There are headstones being used as stepping stones to one of the outbuildings. Many documents mention the size of the plot but not exactly where it is on the property. Its also unclear how many people might be buried there. There is a university interested in researching it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate