Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

It's another spring and we've just relisted our house with a new agent. In the past year we had 7 showings..no negative feedback.
We lowered the price by $25,000. and our agent says things are starting to get busier around here. Here's hoping.
Anyone else still on the market after a year? Even St. Joseph did not do us any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times
Default wishing you luck!

Fortunately...we are closing on April 29th...just shy of being on the market for a year.

Wishing you the best of luck!!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
wow, that's rough! Have you had any open houses? Seven showings is nothing in a year. Glad you're using a new agent. A friend of mine has had her house on the market for over a year. The only reason it's not selling is price, and she won't reduce it, so.....

Good luck. I hope things go better for you!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM

26 posts, read 50,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's another spring and we've just relisted our house with a new agent. In the past year we had 7 showings..no negative feedback.
We lowered the price by $25,000. and our agent says things are starting to get busier around here. Here's hoping.
Anyone else still on the market after a year? Even St. Joseph did not do us any good.

Ha I can beat that. We are going into our third year on the market. Bought house #2 in April 06 to move into. Put house #1 on the market, just as the market began declining. Now paying 2 mortgages, 2 sets of expenses. Out of desperation, have both houses listed, prices lowered to almost rock bottom (but above a short sale). There doesnt seem to be an answer. We are so stressed and are actually considering just walking away out of desperation.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Danse: I am so sorry!!! I know (sort of) how you feel. After looking around, and then feeling out rents in our area, we decided to just sit tight. The market is awful and it's depressing to see what's going on in the rest of the country. I live in one of the states that was hit the hardest.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Danse555, I know you mentioned that you don't feel you overpaid. But reality is that all of us who purchased homes in 05/06 overpaid. I mistakenly purchased a home in Scottsdale in April 05, put 30k into upgrading it, and wrote a check at close for almost 25k in July of 07.

We all overpaid. And the market is going to continue to correct downwards. I saw the flood of homes hitting the market in my neighborhood and very quickly put it on Craigs List at 50k less than any other comparable home and sold it without commission. And yes I still lost my 30k in upgrades and had to write a check at close for almost 25k.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Beena: What about those of us who bought in 2004? Also, what about just not selling and waiting out the bad market? Think it'll get better in a year or two and then maybe we can make some money?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Danse555, I know you mentioned that you don't feel you overpaid. But reality is that all of us who purchased homes in 05/06 overpaid. I mistakenly purchased a home in Scottsdale in April 05, put 30k into upgrading it, and wrote a check at close for almost 25k in July of 07.

We all overpaid. And the market is going to continue to correct downwards. I saw the flood of homes hitting the market in my neighborhood and very quickly put it on Craigs List at 50k less than any other comparable home and sold it without commission. And yes I still lost my 30k in upgrades and had to write a check at close for almost 25k.
You probably did not overpay at the time you bought, given all else that sold in your area, at that time. Generally speaking, in my area, those who bought in 2005/6 are lucky to break even. Most improvements are gifts to the buyer.

What I find fasinating is how many people are trying to make a
jump to a bigger and better home, at a depressed price and plan to use their perception of equity in their existing home, to do so. It's like dogs chasing their tails.

The only saving grace is that homes not priced to this market sell the homes that are priced to sell.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
wow, that's rough! Have you had any open houses? Seven showings is nothing in a year. Glad you're using a new agent. A friend of mine has had her house on the market for over a year. The only reason it's not selling is price, and she won't reduce it, so.....

Good luck. I hope things go better for you!
No open houses. We're in a rural area and open houses are mainly considered a big waste of time by both realtors and sellers. They just attract looky-loos who can't afford it anyway.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danse5555 View Post
Ha I can beat that. We are going into our third year on the market. Bought house #2 in April 06 to move into. Put house #1 on the market, just as the market began declining. Now paying 2 mortgages, 2 sets of expenses. Out of desperation, have both houses listed, prices lowered to almost rock bottom (but above a short sale). There doesnt seem to be an answer. We are so stressed and are actually considering just walking away out of desperation.
I'm so sorry. I've heard things are bad in FL. I hope something good happens for you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate