Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Unpermited work is a red flag. Walk.
I remodeled my bathroom with a new sink/cabinet. I had no permit.

How would you even know that I did that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 11:53 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
There's unpermitted work and then there's unpermitted work. Around here, entire houses are built with no permit and I'd run from one of those. Not sure how banks are in your area, but around here they won't include the unpermitted work to be added to the value of the assessment. Which means things with a lot of unpermitted work can't get a loan.

If someone replaced an existing item - such as a sink - and it was done well, then I'd not worry too much. However, if it's not something that can be easily inspected then I'd walk.

Even if something is done to code now, several years from now, the code will probably be different. The code changes all the time, ask any builder and they will tell you stories about shifts in code. In our area, we went from the Uniform Building Code to the International Building Code about six or seven years ago so a whole pile of things changed.

Which means if someone had something built that was unpermitted several years ago - but they had it 'built to code' and expected to be able to get it permitted before selling it, that is no longer an option for them. IMHO, one of the best reasons to get something permitted is to lock in the rules that it should be built to. Later on when the code changes, the older building style will still be legal for that structure.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:32 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Seller disclosure statement. Good inspector. My own eye.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:33 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
I think this probably depends on location somewhat. We are in the LA area, and, unless it's new construction, it's virtually impossible to find a house that doesn't have some unpermitted work, for the reasons outlined by SFBayBoomer. Unless the quality is obviously bad or the work is extensive, supply is so tight and demand is so high that buyers will purchase anyway, regardless of permits.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Seller disclosure statement. Good inspector. My own eye.
replacing the bathroom sink would not be something I put in a seller disclosure.

None of the questions on the seller disclosure ask if you remodeled or changed out fixtures.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Absolutely do not buy anything with unpermitted work. Even if the work was impeccably done. The municipality can force you to rip all of it out, even though a previous owner is the one who did it. I know someone who didn't realize that there was unpermitted work done to their house until the insurance company refused to insure it because of that. It was a nightmare.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:07 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:

A new sink / cabinet shouldn't need to be permitted.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A new sink / cabinet shouldn't need to be permitted.
Correct. Now if I was moving it somewhere else in the bathroom that required plumbing work....that's a different story.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:06 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
replacing the bathroom sink would not be something I put in a seller disclosure.

None of the questions on the seller disclosure ask if you remodeled or changed out fixtures.
Sorry, responded to "remodeled" and not simply changinig out fixtures. Remodel would require a permit in most places. Simply changing out fixtures would not.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
As a buyer should one be leery of unpermitted new work and remodels? Or just wait for a home inspection ?

I think more than cosemetic always wondering what's going on behind those walls-nob and tube wiring, lead plumbing. missing support beams and studs etc.
If I’m changing plumbing locations or electrical, structural I get permits.

If I’m doing tile, painting or doing new kitchen cabinets, carpet swapping a toilet no permits.

You don’t need a permit for everything you do in a house. There is no tile carpet paint permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate