Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:00 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
For some ungodly reason, the phrase "crime ridden ****hole" comes to mind. Now, there must be nice areas around the city, because otherwise, anyone with money would not be willing to live there. But Louisiana as a whole is known to be corrupt with high crime rates, with New Orleans being even more so. I would like to visit the WWII museum there, though. The lower-than-sea level areas should not have been rebuilt after Katrina, that's just throwing good money after bad (I'm not even sure they did rebuild the 9th Ward, did they?)

For me, at least, the climate would rule that out, I am not a fan of high humidity. Visiting Orlando in September one year proved that to me, the air-conditioned (nice) hotel smelled of mildew in the common areas.
I was going to say I would be more worried about the crime than the sinking thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 07:51 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The nice areas in New Orleans aren't cheap.
Exactly.

We used to own a rentals in the Quarter and the Marigny Triangle. They sold in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Certainly not "cheap " by the national standard. The city is very hip and rapidly gentrifying. Long time residents can be longer afford to live in many neighborhoods. if you can find a bargain these days there is a reason.

The market is volatile and you really need to "know someone " to get a good deal and not be treated like an outsider. It's a very insular and at times corrupt place. Flood insurance (if you can get it) can be astronomical. That sa6if the stars align and you get in and out at the right time theres a lot of money to be made.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:03 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
While I enjoy the city, there is no way I would own property there, or in coastal MS or many other places along the river. The flooding is going to get worse; the dikes don't hold and are deteriorating and not being repaired; the water level is rising; the pumps in NOLA are sinking!! and can't do the job in a flood; the hurricanes are increasing in intensity and frequency due to the climate change. I wouldn't mind renting, but to put my money in a piece of land and a building that is going to suffer flooding is unwise.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It depends where it is. There are some areas in the French Quarter that were built in areas that didn't flood that's why they were built there.

I went there a few years after Katrina and they told me some areas were not as bad as others,. I drove around and saw some of the badly damaged areas, some houses still stood but maybe only 1 or 2 per block had people living in them, the rest were boarded up. But this was not in the city area of New Orleans that everyone is familiar with it's maybe 5 to 10 miles out.

Also when people say cities are sinking they usually mean water is rising.
I don't think there is any areas in NO that don't flood, or don't have a darn good potential to flood. I have family in Houston. All of them lived in areas that didn't flood. Apparently no one told Harvey that when it blew through. Several family members lost their homes or had significant damage. BTW, no one who lived there was surprised it happened. They all knew it was just a matter of time. NO is no different.

Any flat city on the coast (like Houston and NO) is prone to flooding.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
I wouldn't, but only because I have no interest in living in NO.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:07 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I don't understand why someone would want to buy anywhere, unless they lived there, or wanted a vacation home there.

I love New Orleans. I wouldn't mind living there. I don't think I'd buy property there unless I lived there.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:31 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
While I enjoy the city, there is no way I would own property there, or in coastal MS or many other places along the river. The flooding is going to get worse; the dikes don't hold and are deteriorating and not being repaired; the water level is rising; the pumps in NOLA are sinking!! and can't do the job in a flood; the hurricanes are increasing in intensity and frequency due to the climate change. I wouldn't mind renting, but to put my money in a piece of land and a building that is going to suffer flooding is unwise.
This is so much false information that I don't even know where to begin. The levees do hold. Soil doesn't deteriorate. The levees are inspecting annually and repairs are constantly being made. The pumps are not sinking. I wish I had a few hours to educate you on the flood protection of the New Orleans area but that would take too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate