Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,404,673 times

Advertisements

Looking at a house with nail ends protruding through the original floors and roof. Would they be considered a safety gig in the attic especially since one can walk in it? House and roof are old but does not leak. Some nails are sticking out an inch or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Looking at a house with nail ends protruding through the original floors and roof.
Have you really not been in a basement or attic before?

Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Looking at a house with nail ends protruding through the original floors and roof. Would they be considered a safety gig in the attic especially since one can walk in it? House and roof are old but does not leak. Some nails are sticking out an inch or two.
Don't walk into them. Hurts like the dickens.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,142,028 times
Do you know what the word “gig” means? Were you looking for the word “risk”?

They’re also in every attic, unless you choose to drywall that space - which has its own set of issues.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 AM

2,329 posts, read 2,513,514 times
Quote:
As they should be.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,290,285 times
I assume you're talking about nail pops. They're pretty common and not really a safety issue.

Here's a video that explains why nail pops happen and how to fix them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGL0pU9SCE

Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,153,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I assume you're talking about nail pops. They're pretty common and not really a safety issue.

Nope, it's about the sharp ends that protrude from the underside of roof decking or subfloor.

They hurt if you run your head into them.

Every attic and basement has this.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGL0pU9SCE

I wish. The tips or points of the nails are exposed on the underside of the attic roof. Same for an unfinished basement ceiling. I've heard them called shiners.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Do you know what the word “gig” means? Were you looking for the word “risk”?

They’re also in every attic, unless you choose to drywall that space - which has its own set of issues.

Risk is better. Insurance company not liking the age of 20 plus year old roofs to begin with. I've see them a lot in the old neighborhoods. Several houses in the area have the original wood shingle roof with new asphalt on top.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
I wish. The tips or points of the nails are exposed on the underside of the attic roof. Same for an unfinished basement ceiling. I've heard them called shiners.
A "shiner" is a term for a nail that does not hit its intended target.
Most times, they are not removed or clinched, but just another fastener is placed properly.
For example, if a sheathing nail misses or splits out of a rafter or joist.

Asphalt shingle nails commonly penetrate the roof deck, and MUST do so if they are the proper length.
In the basement you may see nails for various reasons. As long as the subfloor is properly secured, those nails generally are acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate