Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 12:25 AM

346 posts, read 237,908 times

Advertisements

Seems as if everyone just complains about how horrid and awful the HOA is, and the people that run it. Do you think the HOA should be completely abolished? And if it was, what do you think would be the consequences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 01:19 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Seems as if everyone just complains about how horrid and awful the HOA is, and the people that run it. Do you think the HOA should be completely abolished? And if it was, what do you think would be the consequences?

Abolish yours. Many people want HOAs, and it would be unfair to abolish theirs.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:31 AM

346 posts, read 237,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Abolish yours. Many people want HOAs, and it would be unfair to abolish theirs.
If you own your own home you should be allowed to do whatever you want with it, no one should be able to say what you do with it.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
If you own your own home you should be allowed to do whatever you want with it, no one should be able to say what you do with it.
There are probably 15 multi-page threads on this very topic. Why are you starting another one?? There isn't going to be "new" information or ideas.

People either have your viewpoint (which is valid) or people see the value in HOAs (which is also valid). The important thing is that no one has to buy a house with a HOA attached if they don't want to. It is all a matter of choice. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:02 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
i would disagree .... that is just why many do like hoa's ... you can have say and recourse when it comes to those around you who do things not in everyone's best interest

Old 01-21-2020, 04:21 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
They need oversight of a strong nature. While the idea has merit, when a rogue group gets in charge such that a residents only recourse is to sue, the entire concept represents a power grab. Sounds impossible but some are like that, particularly older ones where voting is hidden, and there are quiet agendas to determine who can happily live there.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:33 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i think most people in hoa's tend to find the hoa transparent to their lives ..

people say the same thing about co-op boards ... sure there are some that can be awful but i have to say i have owned more than a dozen co-ops in my life both as my residence and as an investor and pretty much found them to be transparent to our lives ..we found the same thing when we had a 2nd home in an hoa in the poconos ...

usually the ones with issues are the ones trying to do something they shouldn't because of the effect on others .

we were recently down in florida and looked in to a huge hoa ... 130,000 residents , 40 square miles of development and they still are selling 2400 homes a year ... so you likely have a lot of people who like an hoa structure .

Old 01-21-2020, 05:24 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:

Have you heard of zoning, environmental regulations, eminent domain, appearance standards, health department standards, construction permitting, etc?

There are tons of restrictions on what one can do with their home in most jurisdictions.
At least owning in an HOA community is a voluntary choice.
Don't want yours? Go to work and have it abolished, instead of suggesting an across the board termination of mutual agreements between multiple willing parties.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:30 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
HOAs are meritless, IMHO, and I don’t see the appeal of paying additional money for the “privilege” of letting someone dictate even more about what you can/can’t do with your house.

Would I want them abolished? Nope. All I have to do is say that a house in an HOA is a non-starter for me, and I’ll never have to deal with it.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Another thing to keep in mind is that HOA's are established by builders before a community is built along with the rules and covenants, they don't just show up after the fact. They are highly regulated by the states that they exist in, but those regulations vary state to state and sometimes county by county or city by city. When one buys into an HOA or COA it would be known that it exists before closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate