Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 09:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,871 times

Advertisements

Some of you already know my story but now there's a new issue.

I live next to a vacant lot and there is an investor/builder who is building a house. He has been causing problems for me and another neighbour. He's been using a bobcat tele handler (I believe that's the name) to pull down trees that are roughly 15ft or more. I don't believe this is the correct way of doing this? I could be wrong and that's fine but the problem is he's doing this right next to my driveway and branches and debris is landing on my guests car, which could potentially cause damage. I confronted him and he said "I don't think I hit the car" followed by "I didn't see the cars" which is absolute nonsense and then followed by "I was looking at trees", which are right on the property line and only a couple feet away from the cars. I got the impression he was doing this because he doesn't want to pay someone to do it the right way. I find it inconsiderate/unneighbourly that he doesn’t give us a heads up AND he leaves a mess.

Is there anything I can do to stop this nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I think I would go out and move my car out of the driveway when I hear him crank up the Bobcat.

Are there a lot of trees left to pull down??

Old 02-08-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think I would go out and move my car out of the driveway when I hear him crank up the Bobcat.

Are there a lot of trees left to pull down??
Parking on our street is awful and what if my guests decided to take the train around town and leave the car at home? They'd come home to branches and debris all over their car.

There are a few trees left.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,390 times
Then they use their insurance who will sue him.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,594 times
If he had told you he was planning to bring the trees down and asked you to park your/guest's car on the street while he did so, would you still be upset?

Are the guests Air BnB?

Old 02-09-2020, 09:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Parking on our street is awful and what if my guests decided to take the train around town and leave the car at home? They'd come home to branches and debris all over their car.
What if ... what if ... what if ... ?

Almost no one enjoys construction work taking place near their home, much less next door. Yes, contractors could always handle it better, and some are more proactive with the neighbors.

But the best thing YOU can do is be proactive with your own property and that of your guests. The work will be temporary, and some day this all will be a distant memory. Until then, take care of your own stuff.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Other than checking with your municipality about if he has a permit for construction and ask them if there's any mitigation, I'm not sure what would work other than measures you take yourself.

For commercial construction areas, they will frequently erect a temporary fence to keep their construction debris contained, if it's a residential construction, that's usually not required. At least, in our area, yours is probably different.

A car cover may be useful, although if large branches are falling, then that won't help much.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Maybe I'm a tall-tree snob... but to me, 15 feet is a really big shrub, not a tree

I'm sure it's not fun to be next door to a construction project, but hopefully it will not last forever.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
If he had told you he was planning to bring the trees down and asked you to park your/guest's car on the street while he did so, would you still be upset?

Are the guests Air BnB?
Not at all. I would want our cars out of harms way. When I had my tree cut down, I told my neighbours ahead of time.

Yes.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
So the trees cane down and there was no damage done? Just a bit of a mess left behind?

This doesn’t sound like a problem to me. It might have been nice if the builder had notified you that trees were coming down, but it certainly isn’t a requirement. Without knowing exactly how close the trees were to your cars, it is difficult to say if your concern is reasonable.

Any construction job is going to leave some mess, but leaves, mud, dirt on the ground, and similar are not worth worrying about. It is possible that the job will result in broken curbing, which the contractor should replace at the end of the job. Noise is going to be a daily occurrence, occasional smells, a bit of trash. It is annoying, but there is nothing to be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate