Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:17 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times

Advertisements

My daughter went to her final walkthrough in Seattle and found her seller had removed the Ring doorbell and left the wires hanging. They don't close until Friday, so maybe the owners were going to put something there, but they knew the final walkthrough was happening....so hard to explain Is the Ring considered a fixture? If it wasn't called out in the sales documents as an exclusion, can the sellers just put in a standard doorbell or do they owe the buyers a Ring? This is on the sale of a very expensive house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:10 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I would consider it a fixture that should have been excluded in the contract documents if the sellers want to keep it.
And, if this is the only issue on walkthrough, I would say, "They sell them every day. You can get one for <$200."
I.e., while it is a minor irritant, I wouldn't make an issue of it.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
If the ring doorbell wasn’t explicitly excluded in the purchase agreement then it should be included. Read the purchase agreement.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
No it's not a fixture, it belongs to whoever bought it. It is associated with an account and it has to be paid for monthly. I don't even know that it's transferable, but if it is the person would have to give up their account and then you would have to set up the account as the new owner. I think it's part of your Amazon account, you don't need Prime for it.

Just like if you have Simplisafe,. if belongs to the owner not the house. The owner can remove the sensors and keypad and base and take it with them. It's useless to you unless you change the account. At most it will just sound an alarm but will never send a signal out for the police if you don't subscribe to it.

I wouldn't even leave my ring if it was requested, buy your own.

But they should have bought a cheap doorbell to put there and not leave wires.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No it's not a fixture, it belongs to whoever bought it. It is associated with an account and it has to be paid for monthly. I don't even know that it's transferable, but if it is the person would have to give up their account and then you would have to set up the account as the new owner. I think it's part of your Amazon account, you don't need Prime for it.

Just like if you have Simplisafe,. if belongs to the owner not the house. The owner can remove the sensors and keypad and base and take it with them. It's useless to you unless you change the account. At most it will just sound an alarm but will never send a signal out for the police if you don't subscribe to it.

Video doorbells can be purchased without associating them with an account. I think they are between $100 and $200. The owners would just have had to disconnect themselves from the account before they moved. I think my sister has the Google system- it is easy enough to reset the system. There is no requirement that you have an alarm with the doorbell. Many people just use them to see who is at the door or to see when their packages have been delivered since sometimes they are dropped with no notification whatsoever.

That said, they should have put in a plain doorbell regardless.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

This is likely the same flawed assumption that the Seller is working from.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I would consider it to be a fixture. Although it's a relatively minor expense, I would insist that the Seller either replace it or give a credit at closing.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Classic listing agent advice "rings" true:
"Only show them what you are selling. If you are taking it, take it before going on the market."

And, actually, doorbells and cameras are covered as "fixtures" in our NCAR standard listing agreements and contracts.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I wouldn't want someone else's, especially if it has a capability of master password that someone else could take over.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
They are typically a subscriber service and it would be most secure to buy a new one and set it up. Sounds like a good housewarming present for your daughter to me! They are only a couple hundred dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate