Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times

Advertisements

I found a listing agent I like and I think i can work with him. The thing is he asked for my mortgage payoff, mortgage account number, social security number. I don't think he needs that information. I should add he's been in the area for 35 years, is well-regarded. I just don't want to share all of that information.

I can afford to sell and pay all associated costs, but I don't want to share the rest of that information with him. No way. I just want him to sell my house.

So far, I simply told him that I can afford to sell the house. I'm thinking about getting a letter from my bank or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:57 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
We don't need SS number for anything, but title and escrow will, and these details vary by locale, so the only thing that really matters is how it's done where you are. Did you ask him why he needs the info? I think it's fair for you to ask.

On the loan payoff amount, it could be he just wants to be able to work up a net sheet for you, and if it was close, to be sure it's not a short sale.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:24 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
He's going to need the mortgage information to work up your net sheet. I assume he wants exact info from the bank.

He may need your SSN to issue a 1099 form when the sale goes through.

If you don't want him to have the SSN then just say that you will supply it when (if) needed.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
NEVER a Social Security number. I don’t want any responsibility for it.
And I can guesstimate your loan balance within $10,000 off your recorded deed of trust and you can tweak your net.

All I want to know is that you can afford to sell.
That’s from short sales, ten years ago.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 749,869 times
Until the location is known, there’s no answer for this.

You’re going to have to provide this information at some time, perhaps this guy just ringleads it all.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Could be normal for your location, but I don't want a SSN or account number if I don't have to get it. Sometimes I'll help the closing attorney get it from a client but that's only after we go under contract and the attorney is ordering the payoff. When I do the sellers net sheet I do need the estimated payoff for accurate calculations.

If you're doing a short sale, then those requests would be understandable, if not I stand by my above comments.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:48 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I've provided that information to the company that was doing the closing on my house sale, but never to my real estate agent. S/he (they're a couple) never asked for that information either. I did tell them that my previous house was paid off, but that was all.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I found a listing agent I like and I think i can work with him. The thing is he asked for my mortgage payoff, mortgage account number, social security number. I don't think he needs that information. I should add he's been in the area for 35 years, is well-regarded. I just don't want to share all of that information.

I can afford to sell and pay all associated costs, but I don't want to share the rest of that information with him. No way. I just want him to sell my house.

So far, I simply told him that I can afford to sell the house. I'm thinking about getting a letter from my bank or something?
Absolutely not. A real estate agent doesn't need, and should not request, a social security number. Why he thinks he needs it is irrelevant. Don't supply it.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

when you are under contract to close the sale, some closing agent will require this info. Until then - unless you are giving off a vibe of "can't pay off the mortgage when I sell", then I'd start by asking why and politely declining

Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
To update:

I ended up telling him that I didn't know the payoff amount of the top of my head. I then told him that I could afford to sell, wasn't underwater, and could provide a letter from my bank if he needed one. He then said that was fine and that he would do the write-up (that shows our net after selling costs) and leave the pay-off amount blank.

He then said the escrow company would need our social security numbers/mortgage info when we close. I'm still not giving him my social.

What I found most troubling is that he requested our social security numbers via email, which obviously is not secure at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate