Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Crossed out my right to do certain home inspections and sale being contingent on that. Lights out.
I'm not looking to just throw out $600 on inspections of every house out there, may be they're looking for someone to do free inspections for them? (buyer is required to provide inspections to seller if they're walking out, in that jurisdiction)
I would not deal with anything as-is, just not interested. They can sell it with big discount from market as -is, to some investor, good luck. As-is is a very bad language one shouldn't use unless it's a total fixer, that's my opinion. I'm not a sucker to pay for inspections of anything they want to sell as-is out there. The offer pricing is based on move-in condition house without major issues. If the house had been sitting for 2 years in this market, it's either something is seriously wrong with it or sellers just do the same game with every potential buyer making them run.
I'm not an agent, I've bought and sold homes before. It's very shady that the house was not originally listed for sale "as is" but that's what they want to do now that they have you interested.

The fact that they crossed out home inspections would really do it for me that it was time to move on. Being late with signing is another. Find another interested buyer to play games with. Then walk.

Quote:
I thought about it and decided I'd give it another chance - but just one more. I hope Listing agent can explain the importance of some things to the seller, and I requested exactly that. It's a rural area and some things aren't done exactly like in more populated locations, can't expect them to move at the same speed, for example.
I think it really helps to meet the seller in person when viewing the home, for things to be less formal and more human, so to speak, and build some trust.
Hopefully it will go ok. I'd be done with them. Let us know how it works out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Walk away. Dealings with these people will give you nothing but headaches. They don’t sound honest.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:19 AM

228 posts, read 161,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'd be done with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Walk away. Dealings with these people will give you nothing but headaches. They don’t sound honest.
Yes!

I already came to regret I'd wasted my time on giving them another chance...
they just made me meet the mother of all red flags.

Let's just say I was lied to when I asked if there're CC&R/restrictions regarding specific matters (before I even viewed that house, as I wasn't considering ones with CC&R) and told there were none....I pulled restrictive covenants (restricting exactly the stuff I was concerned about) today after discovering wrong deed book number in the contract and digging in clerk's records online to find the correct one. Apparently "seller didn't know" there were CC&R and told their listing agent there were none, and listing agent told that to my buyer's agent, who told me there're none. Not sure how they "thought" there were none while they signed a deed full of restrictive covenants written directly into it.

Next thing, seeing that crap, I'm digging more and finding huge pipeline easement recorded as permanent right of way...that was not disclosed upfront - not some standard utility easement but large transmission pipeline easement, which seller recently agreed to enhance to become larger and unrestrictive to the point they can now pipe anything there that can be piped, basically, without seeking further permissions, put additional pipelines (3 being in already) and build anything else to support the pipeline, and all of that right by the house. I'm sure they also "didn't know" they'd signed the right of way.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 03-04-2020 at 01:17 AM..

Old 03-04-2020, 03:37 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Yes!

I already came to regret I'd wasted my time on giving them another chance...
they just made me meet the mother of all red flags.

Let's just say I was lied to when I asked if there're CC&R/restrictions regarding specific matters (before I even viewed that house, as I wasn't considering ones with CC&R) and told there were none....I pulled restrictive covenants (restricting exactly the stuff I was concerned about) today after discovering wrong deed book number in the contract and digging in clerk's records online to find the correct one. Apparently "seller didn't know" there were CC&R and told their listing agent there were none, and listing agent told that to my buyer's agent, who told me there're none. Not sure how they "thought" there were none while they signed a deed full of restrictive covenants written directly into it.

Next thing, seeing that crap, I'm digging more and finding huge pipeline easement recorded as permanent right of way...that was not disclosed upfront - not some standard utility easement but large transmission pipeline easement, which seller recently agreed to enhance to become larger and unrestrictive to the point they can now pipe anything there that can be piped, basically, without seeking further permissions, put additional pipelines (3 being in already) and build anything else to support the pipeline, and all of that right by the house. I'm sure they also "didn't know" they'd signed the right of way.
Are you saying enough?

Old 03-04-2020, 07:32 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Negativity" itself is a negotiation tactic, as the seller generally treats you like an idiot enemy coming to steal their house - at least until the deal is done.

Why the missed deadline and crossed-out discrepancies? Are you two not using agents?

Yup. Seen it the opposite way as well with buyers coming in pointing out all that has to be done.

And yes many as-is sellers in particular treat a potential buyer as a vulture. Tells me they want to much. Some treat their asking price as gold, if you don't meet it you're a thief taking away from their pile. Not many would purposely over pay. Some can't handle an actual comment, not ploy. Sometimes there are blatantly obvious things that should be acknowledged-doesn't even have to become a contingency.

I'd have a real estate lawyer look over any documents if you are close to closing.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Are you saying enough?

I say run like 5 pitbulls are chasing.
I think I know why this house didn't sell in 2 years.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:09 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,897 times
Quote:
I say run like 5 pitbulls are chasing.
I think I know why this house didn't sell in 2 years.
Ok. Move on. I don’t understand the pearl-clutching going on here.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
Ok. Move on. I don’t understand the pearl-clutching going on here.
Yeah no kidding.

There are lots of houses for sale. Just. Move. On.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Yeah no kidding.

There are lots of houses for sale. Just. Move. On.

Actually, not a lot of this property type on the market, extremely low inventory. Weird situation in that rural area with low inventory and few buyers', also. Decent home, decently priced, without deceptive seller and listing agent sells in several months, though....sitting for 2 years is a huge red flag in itself.
But I had left that deal yesterday, already.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:23 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
OP: Take heed of your instincts.

In large transactions it is very important to understand and limit your downside risk.
It is foolish to believe that the only thing that matters is what is 'on paper'.
So I won't do a deal with someone I don’t trust!

As Warren Buffet has said:
“You cannot make a good deal with a bad person.”
— Interview with CNBC, 2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate