U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 01:18 PM

61,304 posts, read 80,212,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
In the case of a pool, I would take the word over a realtor than a property manager. I mean we are talking about the "sale" of a house, not renting it out.
By law property managers have a real estate license here
A property in litigation is hard to sell
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 01:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,217,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
By law property managers have a real estate license here
OK, well I'm not looking into renting the house.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:21 PM

61,304 posts, read 80,212,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Who even thinks like this??

Let's rent a house with a pool so we can sue the landlord!!!

There are much easier and cheaper ways to sue a landlord. Pool homes are usually expensive to rent.
That is the best one I got this week “who thinks like that “
Sorry I misdialed this must be the Disney channel
Here in my world most effective tools for law suits are dogs, guns and swimming pools

Old 03-04-2020, 05:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,126,357 times
Sometimes some 'extras' help. One couple I know just sold their home in a day with lots of people looking at it. It had the pool but a nice touch was the very large window looking out at it...more of a glass wall...but the glass had some traditional touches in the wood on it.

Another house had a pool behind the house and behind that a big deck and beside the deck a little house with nice living room, bar/fridge/sink small area and saunas...yes, two.

The whole set up on each had people able to imagine a very relaxing time with family and friends.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:16 PM

15,444 posts, read 49,600,138 times
Yeah, this is highly dependent on the local area. I had a big above ground pool at a house in Iowa, near Cedar Rapids. The geniuses who put it in, put it in the shade of the 2-story house, on the north side of it. I worked on that pool a lot more than I "used" it. It was only usable say the 4 warmest months of the year. Fact is I did try to avoid running the filter pump continuously, maybe I should have done that, but I didn't want to pay that much for electric.

I would pay more for an identical house *without* a pool, myself. But that's just me. I would not say that but for the actual experience. Now if you are rich and a free spender, and want to pay for a pool service, and to run that pump 24/7, maybe it's a different experience.

For about $45 a month I am a member of a local gym that includes an indoor, heated pool, along with weights, sauna, etc. I consider this to be a much better deal than having my own pool. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:18 AM

774 posts, read 3,310,693 times
My pool at the beach is an in ground fiberglass pool that is 15 x 30. Costs me about $250/month to maintain in the summer and about $100/month in the winter. That is with a professional pool service handling the cleanings and maintenance. So its about $2,000-$2,500/year to maintain. Thats peanuts compared to the extra $700-$800/week I get for weekly rent from May-September by having a pool versus not. Thus, I can make an extra $15,000/year, after factoring in my expense, by having that pool. It cost $60,000, so it will pay for itself in 4 years.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:24 AM

4,517 posts, read 10,461,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I do understand that. Maybe I should've just asked "anyone in the San Antonio Texas area".
Are there many in-ground pools in San Antonio? I have family in Texas --outside of San Antonio....and they couldn't get an inground pool (or a house with a basement). I'm not sure exactly, but I thought it was something about the topography there?

My best friend wanted an in-ground pool. She's in the Mid-Atlantic region. Had to have it. Only looked at houses that had that feature. She got a deal on the house with the pool. The house had been sitting for months in a neighborhood where houses sold in days. The pool is ridiculously hard to maintain. Her latest issue was ducks and duck poo. Gross. Anyway, she'd love to sell, but is worried she's stuck with it.

I would consider the neighborhood I'm moving into. If everyone else has pools, I'd buy a house with a pool (if I was up for the maintenance). If not, then I'd skip the pool.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Are there many in-ground pools in San Antonio? I have family in Texas --outside of San Antonio....and they couldn't get an inground pool (or a house with a basement). I'm not sure exactly, but I thought it was something about the topography there?

My best friend wanted an in-ground pool. She's in the Mid-Atlantic region. Had to have it. Only looked at houses that had that feature. She got a deal on the house with the pool. The house had been sitting for months in a neighborhood where houses sold in days. The pool is ridiculously hard to maintain. Her latest issue was ducks and duck poo. Gross. Anyway, she'd love to sell, but is worried she's stuck with it.

I would consider the neighborhood I'm moving into. If everyone else has pools, I'd buy a house with a pool (if I was up for the maintenance). If not, then I'd skip the pool.
There are areas in certain parts of the city where the topography is solid rock (limestone), which in this case it would have to be blasted (more $$), but certain pool builders specialize in that. Maybe that was the case with your family. We were lucky in that we had very little limestone which just had to be jack hammered out. Yes, many people here in the outskirts as well as in the city have pools. I think there are over 30 pool building companies in the greater San Antonio area.

As far as maintenance, I am at a point in my life where I let my wallet pay for such labor rather than my back, so we have a pool company come every week (every other week in the off-season) for scheduled chemical maintenance. I also have a "robot" cleaner that I run for 2 hours every other day that scrubs the pool walls and bottom and keeps everything crystal clear and free of debris/leaves.

So all-in-all I would say the market is pretty good here for houses with pools. The blistering heat 7+ months out the year has a lot to do with it.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:12 AM

29,226 posts, read 69,882,573 times
It is subjective, but the answer is little or nothing.

We have an in-ground pool behind our house it is roughly 16 x 40. It is enclosed in a greenhouse like thing that is made of sections that fit one into another so you can open it up and make it an outdoor pool when desired. We have a fireplace int he pool room created by the greenhouse thing.

We have a salt chlorine generator and a robot to sweep the bottom, so there is not a lot of maintenance. We toss some salt in it about four times a season. Throw the robot in daily. That is about it. There are costs every few years to replace parts of the salt system. We hire a company to open and close the pool for the season sometimes . They charge $300 - $400 each. Usually i close it and have them open it so we only pay once. Closing it is easier. Also we power wash the concrete deck once a year, but that is pretty fun.

We have had a large number of appraisals. Most of them added either $0 or $15,000 for the pool. One added $55,000 due to the enclosure. One included it as living space but his appraisal was rejected by the lender. (Including the square footage inside the enclosure nearly doubled the appraised value).

Our pool area is set up for entertaining. There is a covered portico (sort of a giant porch or deck) attached to the carriage house alongside the pool. In warm weather with the cover open we have a very large area for entertaining centered around the pool. In cooler weather the the cover closed we can have very nice soirees in the pool enclosure with a roaring fire in the fireplace. Even in the winter when it got too cold to heat the pool at a reasonable cost, the kids loved having get together in the pool room sitting between the fireplace and the pool. For the right family it is probably a dream set up. For other families it would be a big negative. It will probably take us longer to sell our house when the time comes, but it will not likely impact the value one way or another.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is subjective, but the answer is little or nothing.

We have an in-ground pool behind our house it is roughly 16 x 40. It is enclosed in a greenhouse like thing that is made of sections that fit one into another so you can open it up and make it an outdoor pool when desired. We have a fireplace int he pool room created by the greenhouse thing.

We have a salt chlorine generator and a robot to sweep the bottom, so there is not a lot of maintenance. We toss some salt in it about four times a season. Throw the robot in daily. That is about it. There are costs every few years to replace parts of the salt system. We hire a company to open and close the pool for the season sometimes . They charge $300 - $400 each. Usually i close it and have them open it so we only pay once. Closing it is easier. Also we power wash the concrete deck once a year, but that is pretty fun.

We have had a large number of appraisals. Most of them added either $0 or $15,000 for the pool. One added $55,000 due to the enclosure. One included it as living space but his appraisal was rejected by the lender. (Including the square footage inside the enclosure nearly doubled the appraised value).

Our pool area is set up for entertaining. There is a covered portico (sort of a giant porch or deck) attached to the carriage house alongside the pool. In warm weather with the cover open we have a very large area for entertaining centered around the pool. In cooler weather the the cover closed we can have very nice soirees in the pool enclosure with a roaring fire in the fireplace. Even in the winter when it got too cold to heat the pool at a reasonable cost, the kids loved having get together in the pool room sitting between the fireplace and the pool. For the right family it is probably a dream set up. For other families it would be a big negative. It will probably take us longer to sell our house when the time comes, but it will not likely impact the value one way or another.
Did you put the pool in or you bought the house like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate