U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:04 AM

3,264 posts, read 1,016,576 times

Advertisements

It depends on the market ie Florida or southern California for example. But people who had experience with them probably could buy in a home without them because of maintenance, insurance and/or safety issues with children.

Would the home be targeted towards a younger buyer because that's who I'd say would be the mostly likely candidate to pay a little extra for a pool. The wow factor would probably play better to them not the experienced home owner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:07 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,218,483 times
Just an update to this thread. We recently got our 2021 county property appraisal and it listed our pool (improvement) as an additional $25,680 added value.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:29 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,606,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Just an update to this thread. We recently got our 2021 county property appraisal and it listed our pool (improvement) as an additional $25,680 added value.
That just means you'll probably now pay more real estate taxes. It doesn't necessarily translate to a larger selling price when/if you sell the house.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:21 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,218,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That just means you'll probably now pay more real estate taxes. It doesn't necessarily translate to a larger selling price when/if you sell the house.
We are exempt from paying property taxes.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:09 AM

339 posts, read 328,178 times
As others have said it’s location dependent, but I also think season dependent. There is a house in the small town I am moving to that received the biggest bidding frenzy my realtor had ever seen. I saw the house last week, and the house was lovely, good floor plan, nicely decorated, but had a 20+ roof and mechanicals. But, the standout feature was the screened in porch, deck, and above ground pool. I suspect if had been out on the market in the fall it wouldn’t have gotten nearly the feeding frenzy that it did.

It wasn’t for me, because a pool wasn’t fenced (the yard was but not the pool), and an untended pool with a toddler sounds like a nightmare. It was gorgeous though.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:14 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,666 posts, read 4,902,951 times
In Florida, pools are common. Adding a pool to new construction, depending on the complexity and size, will typically add about $30k to the price, maybe more depending on the builder and amenities. This typically includes a screened enclosure.

Do it after the fact and it will cost easily twice that if not more.

I would say, based on the homes I've owned with pools, that it adds maybe $20k to the value and that's probably the top end. Tax wise it's about the same - you'll pay taxes on $20k of improvements.

For the most part a pool doesn't add a lot of value here. They're fairly common, so in a direct comparison the property with a pool will cost more, but not significantly.

RM

Old 04-10-2021, 11:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,329,404 times
I live in Texas. At best you may get 50% of you costs back when you sell it. Get pool because you want to have one and use it. Not for resale. I put my first one in 2 years ago and love it, but I didnt do it for resale.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:01 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,666 posts, read 4,902,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I live in Texas. At best you may get 50% of you costs back when you sell it. Get pool because you want to have one and use it. Not for resale. I put my first one in 2 years ago and love it, but I didnt do it for resale.
^^^^^
This.

A pool will never add (significant) value, nor will you recoup the cost if you're building. Do it because you want it.

The nice thing about a pool, if you have a home set up with sliding doors and get a pool "cage", it adds to your living area for a portion of the year. Being able to open the sliders and move freely in and out while enjoying the lanai essentially makes your home larger.

RM

Old 04-10-2021, 02:42 PM

47 posts, read 32,118 times
Maybe it’s different now during the pandemic, but here in SW FL buying a house with a pool will cost anywhere from $50,000-$120,000 more, depending on the size of the pool, whether there is a spa and/or an outdoor kitchen.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM

26,737 posts, read 35,812,176 times
Its a big negative where I am located and a house with a pool would be hard to sell, but I think a pool would help to sell a house in an area where the weather is warm enough to use a pool year-round. Probably not get all of your costs back, but it would be a plus in selling.

I suspect that those $250,000 pools with grottoes and waterfalls probably increase the sales price. I've seen some that are super attractive. But I don't know how much of your investment you would get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate