U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 04:02 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,666 posts, read 4,912,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbcapital View Post
Maybe it’s different now during the pandemic, but here in SW FL buying a house with a pool will cost anywhere from $50,000-$120,000 more, depending on the size of the pool, whether there is a spa and/or an outdoor kitchen.
A standard 20' oval or kidney shaped 10,000 gallon in ground pool in the Tampa area will add maybe $10k-15k, possibly a little more depending on the amenities. If there are elaborate "goodies" like an outdoor kitchen and things like that it could be more, but that's not necessarily value tied to the pool itself.

RM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:54 PM

12,880 posts, read 3,975,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
^^^^^
This.

A pool will never add (significant) value, nor will you recoup the cost if you're building. Do it because you want it.

The nice thing about a pool, if you have a home set up with sliding doors and get a pool "cage", it adds to your living area for a portion of the year. Being able to open the sliders and move freely in and out while enjoying the lanai essentially makes your home larger.

RM
Meh, not true anymore. My neighbor built one in her yard about 4 years ago. Listed it last summer and got a HUGE premium for the pool. House was probably worth $1.25 tops and she sold for $1.6 because the wife saw the pool and said, I'll take it. Didn't even negotiate.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 PM

57,188 posts, read 45,649,885 times
If a pool is expected in a neighborhood, you best have one.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 PM

12,324 posts, read 12,185,880 times
You never get your money back with a pool installation, not with pools costing 100k and up these days. That’s why I’d never construct one but buy a home with one instead. In my Texas neighborhood many homes have pools and at the price point they are almost expected. Same with covered patios and outdoor living spaces. Despite the negative math pool homes do cost more, sell faster, and as a pool owner there’s a certain ambiance a pool has vs a devoid lot. Every morning I enjoy the pool waterfall trickling and birds chirping. If I can’t enjoy a natural stream, it’s a good substitute.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 490,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
^^^^^
This.

A pool will never add (significant) value, nor will you recoup the cost if you're building. Do it because you want it.

The nice thing about a pool, if you have a home set up with sliding doors and get a pool "cage", it adds to your living area for a portion of the year. Being able to open the sliders and move freely in and out while enjoying the lanai essentially makes your home larger.

RM
This is so true. We live in Southwest Florida and use the Pool/lanai area all year round. The pool is heated so we use that almost everyday year round. With the cage, the pool stays so clean and I'm beginning to wonder if we even need to have weekly pool service done. The pool and cage were already there when we bought the house.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:56 AM

92 posts, read 40,036 times
We have a pool right now. It’s a pain to take care of, and we only use it a few times in the summer. Not worth it. When i set up my search criteria on my new home, I checked off no private pool because I’m never having a pool again. It might be good for families with kids but they can also be a safety hazard so not every family with kids will want one either. If you see yourself using it often, sure get one installed. If you’re doing it to add value, probably not worth it

Old 04-11-2021, 08:49 AM

12,880 posts, read 3,975,661 times
I should also say that how much value a pool adds or detracts is completely dependent on WHERE the house is. For example, I doubt it would add value in Alaska. It used to be kind of a negative in the Illinois suburbs before Covid. Now it's a plus. The answer is not a simple one.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:29 AM

2,548 posts, read 1,104,083 times
I don't see anything desirable about a pool, and I would have to be insanely wild about the house to buy a property with one. However, that's just me. I'm sure it's a big selling point for some people. I wouldn't expect to recoup the costs of installing a pool, tho.

We had friends that bought a house with a pool and immediately filled it in because they had small children. It was a nice pool, not old or in disrepair. There are people that want pools for their children and others that worry they will drown.

If you want a pool for your own enjoyment, and plan on living there for a few years, that seems a reason for having a pool.

Personally I would rather have a water feature of some sort. I suspect I may be in the minority about not seeing desirability in a pool.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:35 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,341,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I should also say that how much value a pool adds or detracts is completely dependent on WHERE the house is. For example, I doubt it would add value in Alaska. It used to be kind of a negative in the Illinois suburbs before Covid. Now it's a plus. The answer is not a simple one.
True, and I think a pool is oftentimes something they want to show off, not necessarily take a swim in. Someone I know in Canada was showing off his pool and it looked beautiful. After asking him how much swimming weather there is up there, he admitted the pool season is 3-4 weeks.

Although pools look beautiful especially at night with the lights on the water, I'd not want one under any circumstances. Too much trouble, expense and a possible liability. My next door neighbors have one, and there's galvanized fencing around their yard which looks about 10 feet high.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:47 AM

36,144 posts, read 65,663,334 times
To people who like pools: a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate