Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times

Advertisements

In upscale neighborhood where 90% of homes have pools like min. It’s almost essential (florida). Even in gated neighborhood where homes average over 1 million. More than $250 a square foot. Most homes under contract in less than 21 days if priced appropriately. There was home without a pool. It just sat and sat. Absolutely nothing wrong with home. Some updating needing. But not a deterrent cause other homes need updating also that sold quickly.

Most homes selling in the $210-220 a square foot price range not updated. $250-270 a square foot if updated.

This home closed at $190/square foot.

It’s pandemic. And people want pools to use in florida. One of the very few instance where spending 60-75k on a pool would have returned a 100%.

New homeowners will spend that much on the pool. And that was factored into the final
Price. Again. Very rare instance where adding a poll would have resulted in a 100% return of investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 10:41 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
There are maintenance issues. Heated spas tend to have something wrong if older than 5 years (it’s Russian roulette once a spa heaters after 5 years).

Pool pumps can go bad after 7-10 years.

We pay $100 a month for pool service which is a good deal. Doing your own pools with your own chemicals will run you around $20-30 a month.

The pool pump will add around another $40-50 to the electric bill even the high efficiency variable speed modes.

But pools are fun especially with kids and their friends in the warm weather states like florida

It’s essential in my opinion if you buying a more upscale home in florida.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
There are maintenance issues. Heated spas tend to have something wrong if older than 5 years (it’s Russian roulette once a spa heaters after 5 years).

Pool pumps can go bad after 7-10 years.

We pay $100 a month for pool service which is a good deal. Doing your own pools with your own chemicals will run you around $20-30 a month.

The pool pump will add around another $40-50 to the electric bill even the high efficiency variable speed modes.

But pools are fun especially with kids and their friends in the warm weather states like florida

It’s essential in my opinion if you buying a more upscale home in florida.
It makes life more enjoyable if you live in FL year round with access to a pool. Even in neighborhoods that aren’t upscale, homes with pools are more desirable to buyers than those without.

Our pool pump added a negligible amount to our electric bill. Pool size determines how much energy and chemicals are being used and the amount of maintenance required. Our energy provider has an online energy audit that advised us that our turnover rate was too high and we cut back the speed and length we were running the pool pump at initially.

We maintain our salt water pool ourselves and the cost is around the $20-30/month range. More important than the savings is that we know exactly how clean our water is, what chemicals are in the water and if they are at the appropriate levels. Once I learned what truly clean pool water looks like, it’s rare when I see it in other pools. Clear and not green does not equal clean.

Most additions, remodels or added features don’t provide a dollar for dollar return, but they may help sell a house faster if they are appropriate for that particular region. In FL, a house with a pool will sell faster and with a higher price than one without. We chose our house over others because it had the design and setbacks to add a pool later, which is what we did.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-13-2021 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 05:47 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I have not read every post here, so I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I've read a homeowner who puts in a pool should expect to get only 40% of the pools original cost out of it at re-sale time.

So, if you put in a large pool w/ spa & large cage for $100k now, you'll get $40k added to the sale of an identical home that doesn't have any pool.

I'm sure the age of the pool comes into play too, & other features, but the article I read was generalizing.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:32 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,269 times
What's the avg price to build pools these days? Overall construction costs for houses have gone up but not sure if also for pools. There was a news interview with pool builders who indicated their sales have gone up 500% due to pandemic and homeowners who indicated wait list is a year out for pools to be built.

So I would tend to think pools add more value to homes now than ever before.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
I was told costs have nearly doubled, primarily due to the cost of concrete.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:53 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Pools have added at least $35k in value in my market. Handled a pool inspection a couple of days ago for someone my office with one of the larger pool companies in my area and the rep said to install the pool that was there, about 20,000 galloons, would be at least $50k.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:51 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
So, many have said that places like SoCal and Florida are prime candidates for having a pool? This baffles me. If you have beaches somewhat locally available, why a pool? That doesn’t seem logical. I’d crave one more where I am, landlocked and a solid 5, maybe 6 hours away from a beach...if I have a beach within an hour or so, it seems like the desire for a pool would be entirely erased? What’s the point?

Old 05-04-2021, 09:46 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I know many realtors/people say a pool adds little to no value to a house. Is there some type of "general"/average amount most people go by? Say for a 2500 sq. ft. single-story house in excellent condition, 2 years old with a 1 year old in-ground gunite pool in excellent condition. 20%/30%/40%/50%/60%/etc.. value of the pool? Thanks in advance.
About 1% is what it adds. And that's IF the buyer wants a pool...

Most see a pool as a liability.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:01 AM

144 posts, read 136,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
So, many have said that places like SoCal and Florida are prime candidates for having a pool? This baffles me. If you have beaches somewhat locally available, why a pool? That doesn’t seem logical. I’d crave one more where I am, landlocked and a solid 5, maybe 6 hours away from a beach...if I have a beach within an hour or so, it seems like the desire for a pool would be entirely erased? What’s the point?
Why drive an hour to the beach when you can walk outside to your pool at any time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate