Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Way to generalize people.......there are good ones and bad ones, just like any other industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Way to generalize people.......there are good ones and bad ones, just like any other industry.
Very true. Some agents are trustworthy...others, not so much. I had one Broker--a REALTOR, no less--lie to my parents about the commission in order to get them to sign a sales agreement. When I talked to him about it, he lied to me (which I didn't find out it was a lie until a few months later). I could kick myself for not reporting him, but I make sure to never do business with him and I've steered a few people to more reputable agents. I've even managed to close a couple of deals on his expired listings. Sweet.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:05 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
There are good ones and bad ones I’m sure but can you honestly say that during a time like this an agent would say, you know now is probably not the best time to buy or sell even if it’s true?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There are good ones and bad ones I’m sure but can you honestly say that during a time like this an agent would say, you know now is probably not the best time to buy or sell even if it’s true?
Of course, there are plenty of honest agents. It's too bad the bad ones set the perception for everyone, but that's the way people are. I was a General Contractor for years, and everyone assumes that a) we take the down payment and run.....and/or b) make up change orders to get rich on.

Has that ever happened? Of course...Does it happen very often? Nope.....

Old 03-25-2020, 11:06 AM

501 posts, read 359,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Maybe where you live but in other states like. Ca real estate is def not a losing proposition
Got in before the chaos hit.

I just sold my house in Northern California - suburb of Sacramento.

Signed with realtor on February 26.

Open house February 29 & March 1.

14 offers.

3 week escrow.

Money hit my account this morning.

Leaving California tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I'm sure there are good real estate agents out there who truly care about their clients and want only what's best, however the majority of the ones I've worked with are only worried about their own commission.

Many RE agents are even more worried about their relationships with other agents more so then they are with their clients. I've learned a lot about the RE business over the last 30 days while I search for a home. Thank God I haven't placed an official offer on a home as the RE market is going to tank. Get ready for a challenging time if your a RE agent, but an excellent time if your holding cash and looking to buy.
Correct. They don’t want to offend the builder or the other agent. They don’t work for you they work for themselves. Always remember that

*edit

I’ve been overly harsh. I’m sure some agents do care about their clients. But the majority seem to want to just get a deal done as fast and as big as possible. It’s always the right time to buy, you should never ask for a discount as the other side may get mad. How about you act as your clients advocate?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Correct. They don’t want to offend the builder or the other agent. They don’t work for you they work for themselves. Always remember that

*edit

I’ve been overly harsh. I’m sure some agents do care about their clients. But the majority seem to want to just get a deal done as fast and as big as possible. It’s always the right time to buy, you should never ask for a discount as the other side may get mad. How about you act as your clients advocate?
I can't agree with you more. I even had an agent who wouldn't submit my bid on a house for sale (She wouldn't admit it however) because the bid she felt was too low. I believe she didn't want to offend the other agent as she had a good relationship with her. Instead of representing your client and the clients interest, she was more interested in maintaining a good relationship with the other agent. This isn't the first time I've experienced this with a RE agent.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM

172 posts, read 145,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post

14 offers.

3 week escrow.

Wow! Congratulations and safe travels!

Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post

14 offers.

3 week escrow.

I feel sorry for the buyer but congratulations to you.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Wow 14 offers. Nice for you, not so great for buyer. You must have a great house or there is low inventory. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate