Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 02:51 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
heres a link to NJ laws for underground tanks.........

https://americangeophysics.com/nj-oi...hange-in-2018/
Those are proposed new rules addressing how to deal with a known oil leak. Were the rules actually implemented? Also, we don't have a known leak here, just a known oil tank. Also, that info was posted by a tank scan company that's motivated to scare readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:06 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
the seller is not going to remove the tank, they'd be subject to a soil test and that would be a no go. Ask them to legally abandon it, there are companies who do this and file the paperwork with the board of health. If they won't ask for a credit to get it done.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
the seller is not going to remove the tank, they'd be subject to a soil test and that would be a no go. Ask them to legally abandon it, there are companies who do this and file the paperwork with the board of health. If they won't ask for a credit to get it done.
Although a credit or an escrowed amount might be okay to cover a number of situations, I wouldn't recommend that it be done in the case of an underground storage tank. Until they unearth the tank, they will never be fully sure of the conditions under the ground. If leakage had occurred, yet was undetected, the expense of removing the tank could increase significantly. In this instance, the Seller should be held to the responsibility of removing the tank prior to closing.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nope. The OP should not buy the condo with the oil tank in place under any circumstances unless there is tank and HOA insurance that will cover any leakage.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Get the EPA involved...........underground oil/fuel tanks that may have or have leaked are a death knell for the owner...........As far as I know they were all suppossed to be dug up and eradicated back in the 80's.......
Not even close. I have one in use today. Millions are.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
But the owner (the seller) of the condo is not responsible for dealing with the tank and should NOT be involved in the issue. The HOA is responsible for dealing with the tank.

To look at this from a different perspective, what if you have a buyer for your house but a giant sinkhole materializes in the street in front of your house? Your buyer reasonably wants the sinkhole fixed before closing. But it's the town's problem. You can't fix it, you can't be held responsible for it, and the buyer can't expect you to put money in escrow to fix it.

Also, there is no possible way to know how much the cost of remediation could be. Say it's $200,000 - not an unreasonable estimate. The seller would be responsible for 1/3 of that. Will the seller even have enough money from the proceeds of the sale to put that much in escrow?

If the OP can't work out a rental agreement with the seller, I think he should run far, far away.
That would be IF, the tank is used for the heating of others in the units. I did not read that, nor did I read that the tank is leaking as others have suggested might be the case. So, unless there are other facts that the OP has not mentioned yet, my advice still stands. I would have the owners plan to abandon the tank and I would get some estimates for my own information and secure enough in escrow to have it removed. They MUST begin the effort as part of the sales contract or no dice.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That would be IF, the tank is used for the heating of others in the units. I did not read that, nor did I read that the tank is leaking as others have suggested might be the case. So, unless there are other facts that the OP has not mentioned yet, my advice still stands. I would have the owners plan to abandon the tank and I would get some estimates for my own information and secure enough in escrow to have it removed. They MUST begin the effort as part of the sales contract or no dice.
True, it's not 100% clear that it's a common tank, but the OP did say this:

Quote:
It is a 3 unit condo not really a complex. Once my inspector found out oil tank the seller worked with the HOA to plan to remove it since it is in everyone's best interest.
Also, the failure to remove the oil tank would definitely be grounds for cancelling the contract if the owner were the responsible party, so I made the assumption that the HOA is responsible and that's why the contract can't be cancelled. I would feel even more strongly that the OP should bail if the seller is responsible.

Nobody said the tank is leaking, but there's no way to know until you pull the tank. Soil tests around the perimeter of the tank will not detect leaks from the bottom of the tank going straight down into the soil.

This is my neighbor's house during the remediation of an oil tank that had leaked before being legally abandoned. It cost $170,000, thankfully mostly covered by insurance. I know of several similar cases in my town. (It's a hot topic on the local message board.) Most (all?) homeowner's policies specifically exclude oil tank coverage these days. Even though these cases are extreme, why would anyone buy a property that could leave them liable for something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
[Buyer here]House buying contract expired due to oil tank found and now coronavirus, need a way out-53a736adcce39c66fcd9c4f03691f6c5.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate