Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,487 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a new real estate agent and recently got my first listing, which is for a condo rental. I put a lockbox on the unit since it is vacant and other realtors have been showing it using ShowingTime instructions that I posted on the MLS.

It has been a few weeks and I haven't had many issues, but today when I arrived at the condo just prior to a showing I had scheduled, I noticed that there was a sign on the door about a missed delivery for a name I did not recognize. Next to it was a handwritten note from the person the delivery named asking the delivery company to leave the package there. As if that wasn't strange enough, the door was completely unlocked. I was just there two days ago and I am 100% certain that I locked the door properly. No other showings had been scheduled since then. I searched up the name on the delivery slip and it belongs to a broker from a different county.

I am assuming this guy left the door unlocked on purpose in the hopes that the next delivery driver would open the door and leave this package. Nothing was stolen or damaged, but it was just weird. Is this a common thing for real estate professionals to do without permission on listings that don't belong to them? This particular guy never showed up as having even requested a showing either. I'm just wondering if this is some freak thing or if this is something I can expect to see more of in the future.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:52 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Nope it isn't normal and here that agent would get suspended by the Real Estate Agency.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,064,335 times
No, that is odd. I would call his managing broker and ask what's going on.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Let us know what happens

Old 04-01-2020, 04:07 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Still using a combo lockbox?
Either change the code, or change the lockbox, or install an electronic box immediately.

And, your questions tell us you definitely need to talk with your broker about this.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,751,901 times
Yeah, something is definitely wrong with this picture. A Supra type electronic lockbox would tell you who accessed the box last and when. Now, just in case it is not what it seems, you might want to ask the landlord if s/he or someone s/he authorized might have been in the unit since the last showing. If the answer is no, talk to your broker. Document everything and ask your broker about filing an ethics grievance with your board.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,487 times
Thank you all for your responses. I did change the code immediately and changed showing instructions to have agents text or call me with their name and license number to get the new code. I will look into getting a supra box but I’m not sure I can afford it right now.

I did speak to the landlords and they had no idea who the guy was and were just as weirded out as I was. I will contact my broker today for guidance on this. Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply. I will update you with any new developments.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfusion7 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I did change the code immediately and changed showing instructions to have agents text or call me with their name and license number to get the new code. I will look into getting a supra box but I’m not sure I can afford it right now.

I did speak to the landlords and they had no idea who the guy was and were just as weirded out as I was. I will contact my broker today for guidance on this. Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply. I will update you with any new developments.

Congrats on your first listing! Good stuff

Keep us posted on the outcome. This is interesting

Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Any of you agents ever hook up with some strange in a vacant listing? yes, yes you have.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfusion7 View Post

Good job.
Problem with combo boxes is that an agent can pass the code to their clients and on to "Who Knows Who."
If you put a combo box on a property, best to change the code frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate