Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 08:58 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Which is ridiculous. That is simply government overreach. If someone owns property, no government should have the power to tell them they can't visit it.
What is ridiculous is the number of people in this country who are so uncaring, so unthinking, that they are willing to spread a highly contagious, deadly virus to hundreds of people without remorse. We shouldn't need a government edict for people to do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What is ridiculous is the number of people in this country who are so uncaring, so unthinking, that they are willing to spread a highly contagious, deadly virus to hundreds of people without remorse. We shouldn't need a government edict for people to do the right thing.
I agree, but you can’t paint everyone with such a wide stroke in regards to accessing secondary residences? Many of them, myself included, are easily within a driving distance that doesn’t require any stopping, both ways. How is someone endangering others when they go to their property without contact with any others?

Old 04-14-2020, 01:34 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have not seen that in the hamptons at all and they already got assaulted by our new rental laws in ny in june ..

the new laws stop landlords from getting more than 1st months rent and security ... typically summer rentals are for 3 months only .

they were payable up front .... now with only a month security and first month rent they know renters will not pay the rent and just leave .

but so far it has not effected values , even as many said they will not rent them out this year
You're living in the past, Jak. As a rule the once traditional Memorial Day to Labor Day rental has been a thing of the past for decades. First it was reduced to July and August and many now are for just one of those months. Very few rental properties can be supported with only a one month rental which has led some landlords to attempt to cash in on Airbnb and other short term rental opportunities. The problem there is that such short term rentals are mostly illegal in the Towns of Southampton and East Hampton.

A few landlords have been fortunate to have tenants in place as people fled the city much as they did after 9/11 but it appears that most who have gone that route are living in their own second homes rather than renting. I agree completely that there is no indication values of these houses have decreased at all and may even be in a position to rise as the current situation of being forced to work from home proves to be viable enough for people to relocate primarily if not permanently as many did in 2001.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaquish View Post

My family has 5 cottages reserved on hatteras island, nc.
For a total of over 30 visitors.

We are supposed to arrive on may 2 or may 3 for a week.
But, the county has a roadblock in place, and no non-residents are allowed on the island. Actually, smart on their part.
Roadblock is scheduled through april 30.
If the roadblock is extended through the vacation week, we get our money back.
If they open the island on may 1, several of us will lose our rent money if we don't go. And, some are coming from 500--700 miles away, which means they wouldn't have good notice.

At this point, i don't really care to be in the first wave of visitors onto a remote island with limited services, limited medical care, and limited access and egress via a 2 lane road for 40-50 miles as they try to gear up.
byotp!

Old 04-14-2020, 06:18 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's not just in the U.S. its in every country. I think its human nature for people to put themselves then their families first in a situation like this, not that I agree with their actions.

Look at the millions of people who fled Wuhan in January and early February before the lock down went into effect. Why do you think Italy got hit so hard, because so many Chinese fled the country and went back to study/work/live in Italy and other places in Europe. I'm sure some Europeans left for their vacations homes just like many American's did.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:29 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I agree, but you can’t paint everyone with such a wide stroke in regards to accessing secondary residences? Many of them, myself included, are easily within a driving distance that doesn’t require any stopping, both ways. How is someone endangering others when they go to their property without contact with any others?
You and I could be very careful in short-distance travel, but we all know very well that many would not be. The simple act of touching a gas pump handle could spread the virus to an unsuspecting person, who could then become contagious and spread it through a variety of means. This virus, of course, isn't spreading by itself. The extent of human travel is the reason it has resulted in deaths in every single state in the country. The only way to curtail its spread--to flatten what would otherwise be an exponential curve upwards--is by hunkering down for a while. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's necessary. It's just a shame that so many people were completely dismissive of the grave threats posed by COVID-19. I guess that's the problem when far too many people, our President included, rely on a Faux news channel for information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

Last edited by jackmichigan; 04-14-2020 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: link

Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
We own a vacation rental in a tourist area an hour from our home, most renters are there for a week or less. All of our spring break rentals were canceled and we currently have only one summer rental on the calendar. Normally by now, we would be fully booked through the summer. For us, our stimulus checks are a bit of a help, but they will be a drop in the bucket compared to the $25K+ in gross that we will be missing out on. Fortunately we own it outright, so we don't have to make mortgage payments and, we had a healthy reserve fund to pay our utilities, insurance, and taxes for the period. We can't do anything about it, so we will use the cabin ourselves when we want to during this time, but there are no tourist attractions open, so it's just lockdown in a different house for us. Infection rate is very low here, but one day of the tourist attractions opening could change all that.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:43 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We own a vacation rental in a tourist area an hour from our home, most renters are there for a week or less. All of our spring break rentals were canceled and we currently have only one summer rental on the calendar. Normally by now, we would be fully booked through the summer. For us, our stimulus checks are a bit of a help, but they will be a drop in the bucket compared to the $25K+ in gross that we will be missing out on. Fortunately we own it outright, so we don't have to make mortgage payments and, we had a healthy reserve fund to pay our utilities, insurance, and taxes for the period. We can't do anything about it, so we will use the cabin ourselves when we want to during this time, but there are no tourist attractions open, so it's just lockdown in a different house for us. Infection rate is very low here, but one day of the tourist attractions opening could change all that.

I'm really sorry to hear that, I've been hearing the same thing in many of the real estate forums I'm a member of. The other issue is seasonal business ramp up. If tomorrow the government said "Okay, everything's good, go about your business" A seasonal business can't just open the door and they're up and running, it takes weeks before the season starts getting everything prepped and hiring workers. If doors do open mid May we'll be lucky if businesses are ready to go by June. With no local businesses open why even bother going on the vacation... that's not even taking into consideration the virus' psychological impact of renting a stranger's home for a week.

In Ocean City Nj for example the biggest attraction the boardwalk is typically seeing all its little store fronts opening back up in March, so we're already a month behind on that...

Old 04-20-2020, 07:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Just checked zillow for NW Michigan, Traverse City area and didn't see any bunch of new listings (under 400k tho with a waterfront filter which is quite low for waterfront).
Did see some listings with price cuts which is certainly unusual for this time of year.
Cherry Festival, biggest attraction of the year has been cancelled along with many smaller ones.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:51 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
It's not just in the U.S. its in every country. I think its human nature for people to put themselves then their families first in a situation like this, not that I agree with their actions.

Look at the millions of people who fled Wuhan in January and early February before the lock down went into effect. Why do you think Italy got hit so hard, because so many Chinese fled the country and went back to study/work/live in Italy and other places in Europe. I'm sure some Europeans left for their vacations homes just like many American's did.
Yeah, some Chinese people allegedly cooled their temperature down to get past airport screenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate