Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:52 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Its not uncommon to do this in Texas in my experience. We gave ur info to the buyers of our Houston home when we moved to DFW metro. The seller of our new home here provide same to us. We used it a few times to ask where is the controls for the spa tub in the MBR and to ask about where the pre wired connections to Cable etc were located. It was helpful and they were nice people from NYC but had been in the home we now own for 5 or 6 years.

When I buy a home any issues I do not raise upon inspection are mine in my view so not things I would discuss the seller after we closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:36 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
The 1949 house we bought had been owned and partially renovated over 12 years by the current owners. We both work in Architecture and obviously have a passion for similar styles. Also, it's a 70 year old house. Between that and renovations, there are always nice things to know about an old house. Additionally, we had planned to finish out the renovation on areas of the house that had not been done for various reasons.

The husband was kind enough to leave his email and phone number. We do not talk regularly but we have had a few exchanges as we have update things or had a question about how something was in the house before they renovated. We've even run into him and his kids at a furniture and decor store once and got to show him pictures of the rest of our renovation.

Needless to say, there is no reason you HAVE to provide this - for some it may prove to be an annoyance with the wrong buyer. But we have had a very pleasant experience.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
First house I sold I left notes, manuals, and a list of the usual "proclivities" associated with any house. I also left info on how to contact me.

The buyer called once in the middle of an ice/snow storm and wanted to know why he had water in the basement. "Did you clean out the gutters like I told you to do each autumn?"

"No, it was too cold."

After that I left info once more and the buyers thought I was being silly and ridiculous. They knew everything about owning a house.

Saves me a LOT of time and aggravation. They own it. Good luck. I threw out everything having to do with the house.

Oh the arrogance of some people. Hope they spent a bundle on plumbers/electricians/carpenters/repair services just for being stooopid.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:07 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
House before last, we left all the paperwork for all appliances, the alarm and the electric lawn mower we left behind. We were in direct contact with the buyer because a window had to be replaced and the company had to order it. They would not speak to anyone but us, until they finished transferring the warranty to the new buyer. It was just easier to communicate directly with the buyer. Sadly the buyer was a younger man who has no idea about home maintenance and the house has fallen into disrepair and neglect. It was a great house, too.

The last house we sold, we once again left all the paperwork for everything. Our neighbor was our agent, so now the agent is neighbors with the new owners. I told the agent to pass our number onto them if he wanted to, but he preferred to handle everything himself (he's a great guy!). The new owners LOVE the house and the view of the mountains. They seem to be really nice people, they made for a very easy closing. Their (VA) appraiser, not so much. We had to make an emergency trip back up there, as we had already moved, to paint the floor of the deck because the paint was chipping. I am glad the new owners love the house.

The house we live in now is a blank slate, it was a foreclosure and flip. It had been in a fire at the end of 2015 and was rebuilt in 2017 (there's a whole sordid story on why the house took so long to rebuild, but it had to do with the illegal activities taking place in the house causing the fire), so fortunately it's almost a brand new house. The inspector said it was in great shape. I know we love it.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:11 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Usually not in CT. One time the seller and buyer ended up meeting while in the process, and now they are really good friends

Old 04-21-2020, 09:20 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My parents neighbors did that, gave new owners their phone number, when they sold their home. This was a very well cared for well updated home that was 50+years old. They were constantly calling them complaining about this or that...hint of kitchen cabinet, a tile loose somewhere, dent on gutter, really ridiculous. They even threatened to sue for some stupid stuff. New owners were acting as if old owners were their landlord and wanted them to send someone out to fix this or that. Their daughter contact a attorney to send them a do not contact letter.

I would advise against it. If it feel the need to do something maybe a contact between the realtors so their is a buffer.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:23 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Are there any circumstances in which you would give your contact info to the buyer of your house (email, new forwarding address, etc)?

I'd originally thought about sharing my email address as a courtesy, in case the buyer has any questions about the house (smart home tech, speaker pre-wiring, etc). But I also don't want to be pestered about any future complaints, issues, etc. So I'll probably just give a bunch of instructions in a Word doc.

But there is any reason to share contact info?
It depends. Is she hot?

Old 04-21-2020, 12:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Under no circumstances. When they bought the assets, they bought the problems too. It's up to them to deal with it now.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I've closed on two houses in two states and both times the seller and buyer contact info was noted by the title closer.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
In NY with the $500 “get out of jail free” fee I’m sure there are many sellers who don’t want to be found again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate