Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 08:35 AM

81 posts, read 71,648 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Memphis TN and moving to west coast this summer due to new job. Have a beautiful 5 bedroom house which we bought in 2016. It is in a prime location, close to multiple good private schools, a hospital and trail. The house has been on the market for 10 days now and we have had 6 showings and 1 offer. But the buyer who offered retracted because her kid thinks the house needs updating. 2 feedbacks from the other showings also said the house needs some upgrades. We have older style bathroom and light fixtures but to account for this, we kept our home price low. Due to Covid, we do not want to allow workers in the house to remodel since we have kids. We did lower down the listing price little more again to make the buyers feel comfortable handling the upgrade themselves once the Covid situation resolves. But this whole situation is worrying me now. The house is gorgeous but I guess non-upgraded bathroom will disappoint buyers even with lowered down price. I am really worried since we are moving in about 1.5 months and wish the house sells before we move. Any suggestions on what is the best way to handle this? We are first time home sellers and the stress around this is consuming me a lot :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
NO suggestions from me, just wishing you good luck. I think you're likely doing the right thing(s) right now.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:56 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I just sold (settled a week ago) and was also a first-time seller, so I get how stressful it is.

Are you working with a realtor? If so, talk to him and ask him about days on market at your price point and for the condition of your house. Overall, 6 showings and 1 offer in 10 days, during a pandemic, seems pretty good to me, but I don't know your market.

Also, there is a shrinking pool of buyers who will buy a house that needs ANY upgrades. They probably aren't going to want strangers in the house, either. The right buyers are out there so your realtor needs to know how to reach them. My house was marketed as the best value in my town. I was afraid of that phrase, thinking I'd get investors and lowball offers, but that didn't happen.

If the feed back so far is that the house needs upgrades, that may be an issue with price or it could be marketing strategy issue, too. Is the house marketed as turn-key? Some buyers may say because a house needs a bath reno, it isn't turn-key.

Sell the location in addition to the house. My house was also in need of upgrades and was priced accordingly. My house did not sell until I sold the neighborhood. My realtor asked me why I bought the house and why I stayed. So I wrote al of that down. He basically worked that into the listing.

What are the neighborhood amenities? You mentioned a walking/biking trail. Do you have a pool? Tennis? Playgrounds? Already, I'm thinking you have "dedicated green space" in your neighborhood.

I'm not sure private schools are a selling point. Are the public schools bad? Again, I do not know your area.

I'm not sure nearness to a hospital is a selling point unless you work at the hospital. Along those lines, do you have a plan to make sure hospital workers know about your house?

Old 04-21-2020, 09:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
We currently live in Memphis TN and (planning on) moving to west coast this summer due to new job.
Don't plan on actually moving until you have a solid contract.

Quote:
The house has been on the market for 10 days now and we have had 6 showings and 1 offer.
We are first time home sellers and the stress around this is consuming me a lot :-(
Keep plugging and waiting for the NEXT buyer but you can probably expect to take a price hit.

Quote:
But the buyer who offered retracted because ....
Any suggestions on what is the best way to handle this?
Counter them. Offer a fixed $$ amount discount in lieu of repairs/updates.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:55 AM

The house is not marketed as a turn-key. Neighborhood information is already in the listing.

Yes, there is a walking/biking trail just 1 block from the house. And yes, we have a pool.

Public schools here are not that great. Many middle class and up kind of families send their kids to private schools.

Hospital near the house is probably good for people in certain age groups (e.g. seniors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I just sold (settled a week ago) and was also a first-time seller, so I get how stressful it is.

Are you working with a realtor? If so, talk to him and ask him about days on market at your price point and for the condition of your house. Overall, 6 showings and 1 offer in 10 days, during a pandemic, seems pretty good to me, but I don't know your market.

Also, there is a shrinking pool of buyers who will buy a house that needs ANY upgrades. They probably aren't going to want strangers in the house, either. The right buyers are out there so your realtor needs to know how to reach them. My house was marketed as the best value in my town. I was afraid of that phrase, thinking I'd get investors and lowball offers, but that didn't happen.

If the feed back so far is that the house needs upgrades, that may be an issue with price or it could be marketing strategy issue, too. Is the house marketed as turn-key? Some buyers may say because a house needs a bath reno, it isn't turn-key.

Sell the location in addition to the house. My house was also in need of upgrades and was priced accordingly. My house did not sell until I sold the neighborhood. My realtor asked me why I bought the house and why I stayed. So I wrote al of that down. He basically worked that into the listing.

What are the neighborhood amenities? You mentioned a walking/biking trail. Do you have a pool? Tennis? Playgrounds? Already, I'm thinking you have "dedicated green space" in your neighborhood.

I'm not sure private schools are a selling point. Are the public schools bad? Again, I do not know your area.

I'm not sure nearness to a hospital is a selling point unless you work at the hospital. Along those lines, do you have a plan to make sure hospital workers know about your house?

Old 04-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately, we cant delay on the move since we already committed to a joining date.

Yes, we did offer a price-cut for the repairs etc but apparently the buyer was talked down by her kid who was not comfortable getting the upgrade done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't plan on actually moving until you have a solid contract.

Keep plugging and waiting for the NEXT buyer but you can probably expect to take a price hit.

Counter them. Offer a fixed $$ amount discount in lieu of repairs/updates.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
I'm sort of confused as to why you are worried about workers coming into your home, but are not worried about potential buyers coming into your home?

Old 04-21-2020, 10:42 AM

Good question. When buyers come, we don’t stay at home. I take the kids out. Workers will be here for hours a day and handling kids plus my job will be difficult plus higher chance of getting us exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm sort of confused as to why you are worried about workers coming into your home, but are not worried about potential buyers coming into your home?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Good question. When buyers come, we don’t stay at home. I take the kids out. Workers will be here for hours a day and handling kids plus my job will be difficult plus higher chance of getting us exposed
So you let people into your home and you don't monitor where they are going or what they could be touching? You had six showings, so probably 2 to 3 people at each showing.

I get that workers would be there longer, but you're still having many people into your home.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:

Hospital near the house is probably good for people in certain age groups (e.g. seniors)
Perhaps, but very, very few seniors are in the market for a 5 bedroom home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate