U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 04:16 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,306,861 times

Advertisements

I’d say no. It won’t lower the price of your house, but it’ll take longer to sell since there’s only so many people who want to assume the maintenance. I’m one of them, a pool is an instant pass all other things being equal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 04:57 PM

272 posts, read 250,367 times
I would NOT install a pool unless the whole family are avid swimmers.
A pool requires huge amounts of maintenance and at least as many buyers view it as a liability instead of a benefit (maintenance, utility costs, insects, risk of their own child or neighborhood children drowning in it).

Here on Long Island installing a pool is very complicated because of groundwater/soil issues as well as the need to be a certain distance from fences and neighbors, and most lots being relatively small. A pool (especially a nice, large, in-ground pool) simply won't be permitted or fit in many backyards. Some villages prohibit pools as a matter of course - they offer the town pool as your option.

We had an above ground pool for years and it was a real PITA.
I'm glad we finally got rid of it and the grass grew back where it was.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:30 PM

14,700 posts, read 4,698,530 times
It also depends on where you live. If you live in Michigan, you probably won't get your $$ out of putting a pool in. If you live in Florida or the desert, you almost have to have one.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:55 PM

676 posts, read 412,616 times
I swam competitively in HS and college, and swimming is still my preferred form of exercise, so a pool means lap swimming to me and always will. :-)

That being said, before I would ever install an inground pool or a large above-ground pool (regardless of climate), I would invest in a nice, compact swim spa: https://www.endlesspools.com/swim-spa.php

All of the pleasure and health benefits in a fraction of the space and at a fraction of the cost!

Old 04-26-2020, 09:03 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,306,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It also depends on where you live. If you live in Michigan, you probably won't get your $$ out of putting a pool in. If you live in Florida or the desert, you almost have to have one.
I’d almost put it the other way. Close to a beach? Why bother? Get the real thing. Up north, why bother? Too much work and cost.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 PM

1,951 posts, read 901,136 times
We bought another house in October, and we're raising an 8 year old granddaughter. Her brother is here every other weekend. This is the last house we're ever going to own since we're retired, and we decided to go with a pool..

Installing a pool for us is not expected to have a ROE. We'd probably get 50% on the dollar.

We had a fiberglass pool lifted over the house last week with a crane. They had it installed, including plumbing, in 1 1/2 days. The electrician is coming tomorrow to put a ground to the pool and around the pool--called a bonded ground. The electrics are not very complicated on pools, thankfully. We hope to have 20' x 36' concrete poured between the house and the pool by the end of the week. And then I'll start digging--installing 20 trees along the fence.

We don't have big trees in the back yard to mess up the pool. And we're going with a salt water pool to do away with chlorine and minimize care. We sold our last house and closed 3/6/2020, and are flush with cash so the cost is not an issue. I just want that pile of dirt to disappear so our lives can get down to landscaping.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:45 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,362,317 times
I owned two houses with in-ground pools- one in NJ and the other when I moved to KS. Both were there when I bought the house. Overall, I really liked them- I do swim and I used it during the warm months. It was even better when DS was at home- he enjoyed it, too. No mosquito issues at all. You do have to keep on top of the chemicals or you end up with an algae bloom and then it takes more, and more expensive, chemicals to get rid of it. You should also count on at least one thing going wrong every year- the filter, the pump, the heater if you have one, etc. Do NOT get a vinyl liner (leaks are an issue) and DO get one of the covers made with slats for cold weather- the large plastic tarps are another PITA- rain and snow build up on it and then part of it falls into the water and it's a mess.

As others have noted, it's not an investment on which you're likely to get a return. Consider it money out the door and make sure it's something you'll enjoy for years. The people who bought both houses were thrilled to have a pool but for some prospective buyers it was an immediate deal-breaker.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM

8,832 posts, read 5,500,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Is having a swimming pool an added ''benefit'' to a home?

Does it increase the value of a home since it might be considered an added 'luxury' upgrade? An additional cleansing, spa option?

I hear the pros about them but also there are plenty of cons about them as well. The increase in utility water bill poses a large overhead expense cost/problem. Swimming pools without a cover can attract enormous amount of mosquitoes which can cause mosquito bites to my possible baby girl that is two years ago.

Install a swimming pool or skip this remodeling project.

What are your thoughts about this ?
Most buyers don't want a pool, I've read & heard agents tell me. I know I didn't. A pool is expensive to maintain and adds to the cost of HO ins, so it's not an inocuous thing for someone who doesn't want a pool; it'd require either pricey maintenance & add to HO insurance cost, or expensive demolition in accordance with local laws. .

Old 04-27-2020, 06:59 AM

22,171 posts, read 19,968,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Install a swimming pool or skip this remodeling project.

What are your thoughts about this ?
Remember that once the novelty of the pool wears off and the kids are grown and gone, you still have that pool to maintain. (Not sure we realized that when we put ours in...)

Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 AM

8,832 posts, read 5,500,140 times
Some posters have commented that pools are worthwhile in the south/hot areas. I'm sure some (many?) want a pool in hot areas, esp if there are no beaches around. But what I found when house hunting was something people don't consider: all that hot sun gets reflected back onto the house, when the pool is not far from the house in back. When walking out the back doors onto a pool area, instead of plants absorbing all the heat, what you have is a giant area of water and concrete acting as one huge piece of tin foil, reflecting all that heat onto the house. So the increase in utility bills won't be just for the pool, but also because of the reflection factor. Born & raised in the deep south, I spend most of my time in the summer months trying to keep cool, and to control the high cost of air conditioning and lowering humidity in the house.

(Tip: Also, don't buy a house where the back faces west, esp if you have a pool, or you will see what hell on earth is, when you walk out that back door in July.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate