U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 AM

2,744 posts, read 1,393,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I swam competitively in HS and college, and swimming is still my preferred form of exercise, so a pool means lap swimming to me and always will. :-)

That being said, before I would ever install an inground pool or a large above-ground pool (regardless of climate), I would invest in a nice, compact swim spa: https://www.endlesspools.com/swim-spa.php

All of the pleasure and health benefits in a fraction of the space and at a fraction of the cost!
A fraction of the cost of a nice custom pool maybe? I thought about going this route until I saw they were $20K for a basic model and $30K+ for the nicer ones. You could get a no frills inground pool for that. I would only recommend one for the most avid of swimmers that don’t also have kids that want to play and/or a spouse that likes to float around on a chair. At least in a regular pool you can still do laps while others enjoy it, in one of these forget it.

I’ve been tracking our neighborhood for the last couple of years since we bought and houses with/without pools sell for near identical amounts when similar in size and condition. This is in an area where they can be used year round too. For as much as we’d like one, I know we won’t get back that $30K-$50K if we sell. I think I’ll hold off until we’re in our forever home, or know this one will be?

Like others have said, it’s much easier to sell a house without a pool regardless of the location vs one with one. People that would like a pool will still buy one without (like us), but someone who doesn’t want a pool will rarely, if ever, buy one with one. My mom was a realtor in San Diego for over 30 years and this is what she heard from all of her clients over the years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 11:33 AM

13,313 posts, read 15,908,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Some posters have commented that pools are worthwhile in the south/hot areas. I'm sure some (many?) want a pool in hot areas, esp if there are no beaches around. But what I found when house hunting was something people don't consider: all that hot sun gets reflected back onto the house, when the pool is not far from the house in back. When walking out the back doors onto a pool area, instead of plants absorbing all the heat, what you have is a giant area of water and concrete acting as one huge piece of tin foil, reflecting all that heat onto the house. So the increase in utility bills won't be just for the pool, but also because of the reflection factor. Born & raised in the deep south, I spend most of my time in the summer months trying to keep cool, and to control the high cost of air conditioning and lowering humidity in the house.
Whew.............this is just about the craziest post I have ever read on C/D....

Reflecting heat into the house? Ummmmm no. Do you realize that if you had a huge mirror in the back yard that the angle of reflection would only last minutes if it lasted that long. Please try it and report back.....lay a door mirror flat on the ground and tell us how many minutes the sun glared into your house and of course the temperature rise inside the house.

AC bills are usually best combated with upgraded units (more efficient) and better insulation for the house. If you wanted to go a step further, tint the house windows that get too much sun.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 AM

13,313 posts, read 15,908,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

Like others have said, it’s much easier to sell a house without a pool regardless of the location vs one with one. People that would like a pool will still buy one without (like us), but someone who doesn’t want a pool will rarely, if ever, buy one with one. My mom was a realtor in San Diego for over 30 years and this is what she heard from all of her clients over the years.
Probably not true at all price points..............

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-29442?view=qv

This house has been for sale for 8 years, they are currently asking 19mm and it has no pool. I'd think buyers at that price point will require a pool. As a comp, the house directly next door was Wayne Huizenga's mansion (Billionaire, Blockbuster Video/Waste Management/AutoNation)........it sold for 16mm with a pool and was kind of a dump (faded elegance).

At 1mm+ price point, it needs to have a pool in Florida.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 AM

2,667 posts, read 1,538,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Is having a swimming pool an added ''benefit'' to a home?

Does it increase the value of a home since it might be considered an added 'luxury' upgrade? An additional cleansing, spa option?

I hear the pros about them but also there are plenty of cons about them as well. The increase in utility water bill poses a large overhead expense cost/problem. Swimming pools without a cover can attract enormous amount of mosquitoes which can cause mosquito bites to my possible baby girl that is two years ago.

Install a swimming pool or skip this remodeling project.

What are your thoughts about this ?
As others have indicated, it depends. Have a pool in New England and it may not be a benefit and might be a deterrent to selling. Have a pool in Florida...yeah, it's a benefit and better if it is inside a lanai. Solar panels for heating better still for cooler temps. Only you though can decide if the cost is worth it to you. As to cost to fill and maintain see this for Texas http://www.texasthestateofwater.org/...cts/facts3.pdf

Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 5,252,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’d almost put it the other way. Close to a beach? Why bother? Get the real thing. Up north, why bother? Too much work and cost.
I live in Florida and never go to the beach. Why not? Crowds. Sand. Parking cost. Annoying people. Trash. Unclean water. Noise. Lack of privacy. Lack of facilities. Lugging all your stuff. Tourists.

A pool is just a step out my door. Private, always available, clean, and all my stuff just a step away.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:52 PM

2,798 posts, read 1,920,101 times
I live in Texas, and every house this part of the city has a pool. A pool with not increase the value of the property but what is expected at our price range. A maintained pool will not attract mosquitoes, and the filtered water is cleaner than what comes from your faucet. Diving pools with a board will increase your homeowner's insurance, and the electric usage cost should also be considered. I have been a pool owner for almost 40 years. In very hot climates such as Texas, the water can get very warm, and it feels like a bathtub even with a 30K gal pool. Maintenance is very important in hot climates due to algae. At this moment I’m cursing my neighbor and his Pecan trees for all the catkins blowing into my pool.

Last edited by txfriend; 04-27-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 01:27 PM

2,744 posts, read 1,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Probably not true at all price points..............

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-29442?view=qv

This house has been for sale for 8 years, they are currently asking 19mm and it has no pool. I'd think buyers at that price point will require a pool. As a comp, the house directly next door was Wayne Huizenga's mansion (Billionaire, Blockbuster Video/Waste Management/AutoNation)........it sold for 16mm with a pool and was kind of a dump (faded elegance).

At 1mm+ price point, it needs to have a pool in Florida.
Ok sure, maybe palatial estates without pools don’t sell for the same, but I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to those buying in a regular neighborhood where maintenance costs vs usage is a real factor for many. Apples to oranges comparison.

I did look at that listing and it’s way overpriced compared to what others are currently going for. It doesn’t matter if it had the Playboy mansion pool on it, it’s not selling for $20M. The reason it’s been on the market for eight years isn’t because it doesn’t have a pool. Someone with that much money will put in a custom pool of their own without blinking an eye, and I’m sure many probably rip out the existing one to do just this.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:40 PM

7,772 posts, read 9,913,907 times
We put in an inground pool when we moved into our current house almost 20 years ago. When our children were growing up they used it pretty often in the summer. During their teens they used it less. They both were swimmers and had enough pool time during practices

Since they've moved out, my husband and I use it every nice weekend in the summer. We don't usually take trips in the summer for a number of reasons so this is our summer vacation time. The cost is actually less than one of our typical trips so it's great. We don't use it much during the week unless we have a day off of work.

BTW--in addition to the chemicals used in the pool keeping mosquitoes away, the water in a pool moves. Mosquitoes breed in still water. And the pool water and reflection doesn't make our house warmer.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:48 PM

15,013 posts, read 8,595,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Whew.............this is just about the craziest post I have ever read on C/D....

Reflecting heat into the house? Ummmmm no. Do you realize that if you had a huge mirror in the back yard that the angle of reflection would only last minutes if it lasted that long. Please try it and report back.....lay a door mirror flat on the ground and tell us how many minutes the sun glared into your house and of course the temperature rise inside the house.
If not the craziest, a close second. Water absorbs a lot of heat, doesn't reflect much of it. Suspect that poster is confusing visual glare with heat...a brightly glaring patio or concrete pool area is going to "feel" hotter but it isn't. If the paved surfaces are dark colored they will absorb more heat than pale colored ones will. Ever heard of albedo?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:49 PM

5,326 posts, read 2,327,807 times
When the kids were young we all enjoyed the 4ft. x 18ft. oval above ground pool. It was next to the screened in, covered back porch with a small connecting deck that let us get into the pool from the porch. As they became teenagers they were no longer interested in using it. The last year we had the pool the only exercise I got was cleaning it. A plus is that after a dozen years, a giant piece of ice in the pool broke through the side, the pool emptied into the yard without causing any damage, and it only took a few hours to disassemble it, roll up the liner and aluminum sides and supports, and leave it, the ladder and net and filter out for the trash. I replaced the deck with a little larger one, planted some grass and it was like the pool had never been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Is having a swimming pool an added ''benefit'' to a home?

Does it increase the value of a home since it might be considered an added 'luxury' upgrade? An additional cleansing, spa option?

I hear the pros about them but also there are plenty of cons about them as well. The increase in utility water bill poses a large overhead expense cost/problem. Swimming pools without a cover can attract enormous amount of mosquitoes which can cause mosquito bites to my possible baby girl that is two years ago.

Install a swimming pool or skip this remodeling project.

What are your thoughts about this ?

Last edited by bobspez; 04-27-2020 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate