U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 03:11 PM

567 posts, read 620,913 times

Advertisements

One of my top priorities was to buy a house that had a pool already built. They are very expensive to build (at least $35g was one quote I received here in AZ). I almost wish we would have built one at our other house when my daughter was small so she could've enjoyed it. Now it's just the 2 of us. I don't mind the upkeep at all. It's really not that big a deal to maintain one, but you do have to maintain it unless you hire a pool service. I just maintain it myself.

Like others have written, you need to build one if you are going to use it, not as an investment. You really won't see a great ROI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:45 PM

2,849 posts, read 1,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
One of my top priorities was to buy a house that had a pool already built. They are very expensive to build (at least $35g was one quote I received here in AZ). I almost wish we would have built one at our other house when my daughter was small so she could've enjoyed it. Now it's just the 2 of us. I don't mind the upkeep at all. It's really not that big a deal to maintain one, but you do have to maintain it unless you hire a pool service. I just maintain it myself.

Like others have written, you need to build one if you are going to use it, not as an investment. You really won't see a great ROI.
Around here pool with spa start at $55K.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 PM

11,785 posts, read 11,063,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Swimming pools without a cover can attract enormous amount of mosquitoes which can cause mosquito bites to my possible baby girl that is two years ago.

?
What?!?

Seriously, what????

Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 PM

11,785 posts, read 11,063,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I live in Texas,

Diving pools with a board will increase your homeowner's insurance, and the electric usage cost should also be considered..
Here in Florida, you cannot have a diving board on your pool. I had a client at closing that had to send someone to the house to remove the board so we could close. Insurance companies will not insure you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Some posters have commented that pools are worthwhile in the south/hot areas. I'm sure some (many?) want a pool in hot areas, esp if there are no beaches around. But what I found when house hunting was something people don't consider: all that hot sun gets reflected back onto the house, when the pool is not far from the house in back. When walking out the back doors onto a pool area, instead of plants absorbing all the heat, what you have is a giant area of water and concrete acting as one huge piece of tin foil, reflecting all that heat onto the house. So the increase in utility bills won't be just for the pool, but also because of the reflection factor. Born & raised in the deep south, I spend most of my time in the summer months trying to keep cool, and to control the high cost of air conditioning and lowering humidity in the house.

(Tip: Also, don't buy a house where the back faces west, esp if you have a pool, or you will see what hell on earth is, when you walk out that back door in July.)
Um, just no.

I've had pools in my backyard in South Carolina and Florida and if anything, the pool lowers the temps.

Pools don't reflect heat, they absorb heat and sunlight.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:51 PM

496 posts, read 375,871 times
I'm going to agree with others that said depends on where you live. In the desert it's almost a must have. But it still depends on how much use it will see. As a former pool service and repair guy I can tell you that the majority of pools I serviced were not used all that often. Many people are sure they will be in that pool every day, all summer long. That lasts about one summer and use decreases as time goes on.

Things to think about:

Pools require weekly maintenance. Brushing, skimming (pool net), vacuuming, and chemicals. It's best to learn how to do it yourself and save $100+ dollars a month (It's pretty easy to learn).

Consider your landscaping and the landscaping of your neighbors. The more things that fall into the pool when the wind blows, the more of a pita it will be to keep it clean. Minimal landscaping is best.

An automatic pool cover is only worth the investment if you don't mind a rectangular pool. The stretch covers are better and have anchors in the deck. The biggest plus is your child or pet won't fall in while it's on. The blue floating ones can be dangerous.

The type of inner pool surface is important as well. Nice white plaster is more difficult to take care of and can be damaged and stained by unbalanced chemical levels. I prefer Pebble Tec 100% of the time. It also looks much nicer in my opinion. (Google it)

Get a pool with a vacuum line. Pop up cleaning heads are crap and never clean the pool the way a builder will claim.

Salt water pools are a pretty nice option. They include a chlorine generator and while a bit more expensive, will be easier on your skin.

If you are considering any type of water feature (waterfall, spa that spills into the pool, etc) it will cause calcium buildup on your tile, and it's a pain to remove. No tile is a better option.

When it comes to pool equipment a larger filter and more powerful pump are better in the long run. As well as a larger heater. A powerful pump will provide great suction for vacuuming and an in pool cleaner. A larger filter will handle more dirt and debris before needing to be cleaned. And of course a larger heater won't have to work as hard to heat the pool.

If you live somewhere it gets very cold, and/or snows you will have to winterize it every year. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to deal with it.

I know that was a bit long winded, but the more you know going in the better off you'll be.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:07 PM

4,930 posts, read 4,317,620 times
I had a pool put in back in November. My first ever pool. I dont plan on moving until they carry me out in a body bag, and I dont travel, so I figured a pool would be like vacationing in place. Im rather surprised at the ease of taking care of it, and how little the cost is. I would have thought it would be a whole lot more than it is. It has added about $15 to my electric bill.

When I decided that I wanted to put in a pool, I started asking around the area about their pool builders, and was astonished at the amount of pools here. Im in a very spread out neighborhood, so its easy not to see back yards. Theres way more homes with pools than without. In talking with people, I cant recall anyone saying that they thought they would get their investment back when they sold. All I heard was how much everyone loved their pools, and how often they used them. I admit Ive really enjoyed it so far, and it isnt even summer yet. I far prefer having my own pool over using a public pool or going to the beach.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:01 AM

2,849 posts, read 1,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I'm going to agree with others that said depends on where you live. In the desert it's almost a must have. But it still depends on how much use it will see. As a former pool service and repair guy I can tell you that the majority of pools I serviced were not used all that often. Many people are sure they will be in that pool every day, all summer long. That lasts about one summer and use decreases as time goes on.

Things to think about:

Pools require weekly maintenance. Brushing, skimming (pool net), vacuuming, and chemicals. It's best to learn how to do it yourself and save $100+ dollars a month (It's pretty easy to learn).

Consider your landscaping and the landscaping of your neighbors. The more things that fall into the pool when the wind blows, the more of a pita it will be to keep it clean. Minimal landscaping is best.

An automatic pool cover is only worth the investment if you don't mind a rectangular pool. The stretch covers are better and have anchors in the deck. The biggest plus is your child or pet won't fall in while it's on. The blue floating ones can be dangerous.

The type of inner pool surface is important as well. Nice white plaster is more difficult to take care of and can be damaged and stained by unbalanced chemical levels. I prefer Pebble Tec 100% of the time. It also looks much nicer in my opinion. (Google it)

Get a pool with a vacuum line. Pop up cleaning heads are crap and never clean the pool the way a builder will claim.

Salt water pools are a pretty nice option. They include a chlorine generator and while a bit more expensive, will be easier on your skin.

If you are considering any type of water feature (waterfall, spa that spills into the pool, etc) it will cause calcium buildup on your tile, and it's a pain to remove. No tile is a better option.

When it comes to pool equipment a larger filter and more powerful pump are better in the long run. As well as a larger heater. A powerful pump will provide great suction for vacuuming and an in pool cleaner. A larger filter will handle more dirt and debris before needing to be cleaned. And of course a larger heater won't have to work as hard to heat the pool.

If you live somewhere it gets very cold, and/or snows you will have to winterize it every year. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to deal with it.

I know that was a bit long winded, but the more you know going in the better off you'll be.
You are correct on every point and add that my service costs $140 per month. I use a 60 sq ft DE filter with a full rated 2 hp pump and a ¾ hp pump for the sweep.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:11 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,245,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Ok sure, maybe palatial estates without pools don’t sell for the same, but I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to those buying in a regular neighborhood where maintenance costs vs usage is a real factor for many. Apples to oranges comparison.

I did look at that listing and it’s way overpriced compared to what others are currently going for. It doesn’t matter if it had the Playboy mansion pool on it, it’s not selling for $20M. The reason it’s been on the market for eight years isn’t because it doesn’t have a pool. Someone with that much money will put in a custom pool of their own without blinking an eye, and I’m sure many probably rip out the existing one to do just this.

Like others have said, it’s much easier to sell a house without a pool regardless of the location vs one with one............this was your quote! It is not true even if you are buying a 250K house in S Florida. Offer 2 identical homes in the same community one with and one without a pool and the pool house will sell quicker.

You should zillow that address then click on map view, you will note several homes within view of that 20mm offering are asking more. Heck an empty lot to the east is 12.5mm. Its a nice house, I think the design/interior is too Georgia plantation and not enough coastal vibe. No pool is definitely a drawback but at that price point 100-200K for a pool/decking isn't a deal breaker but it certainly makes the buyers think more about what it would look like.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:19 AM

6,492 posts, read 4,822,678 times
I'm a pool girl, I wouldn't buy a home without a pool. I grew up with a pool in Ohio, 9-10 months of gray dreary cold weather and we lived for 2-3 months of pool time.

We're in a house in the south now with a very big 35 year old in ground pool. I still love it and use it every day I can. We do all the maintenance, it's really not too much.

And no mosquitoes, no reflecting on the house. No extra cost for insurance, or if there is, it's extremely small. All my grandkids have learned to swim in our pool.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:43 AM

16,024 posts, read 24,626,218 times
It depends where you live. In Texas, houses sell quicker that have pools.

That said, they are expensive to maintain and hardly get used. I grew up with a pool in AZ and we barely used it. When we moved to TX my husband insisted on a pool. No one uses it and we have spent thousands in upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate