U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:56 AM

11,250 posts, read 6,332,725 times

Advertisements

It doesn't only depend on the general location, it also depends on the neighborhood. Here in Dallas there are neighborhoods where almost every house has a pool and neighborhoods where almost no houses have pools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM

19,009 posts, read 24,588,331 times
Where are you? In Florida and Texas I would say yes for sure. I come from Miami and we used the shyt out of our family pool.

I'd love to put one in my backyard here in Denver. We have the space for it...

Old 04-28-2020, 11:50 AM

15,161 posts, read 4,771,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Unless the pool is not being treated with chlorine to keep it balanced, that [mosquitos hatching in the pool] is not going to happen.
You don't even need chlorine. All you have to do is run the pump to prevent any issue with mosquitos.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:07 PM

5,141 posts, read 8,004,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You don't even need chlorine. All you have to do is run the pump to prevent any issue with mosquitos.
That is true, no argument here. Standing/stagnent water is the biggest attractor for mosquitos.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM

5,143 posts, read 1,757,087 times
I'm sort of torn on this.

You don't get your money back necessarily when selling. Pools can be viewed as a liability.

My husband wants one but I don't really, I don't think. Our house and yard are perfect for a pool I will admit.

I just see more of the cons than pros like:

1. Utilities will soar, insurance will be more expensive. My friend with a pool (that we love to go to, lol) has utility bills that made my jaw drop.

2. Nobody will ever leave you alone, lol.

3. People pee in pools.

4. We have a boat.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:37 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,959,394 times
A pool is an absolute "must" for us but, it is purely personal preference. It's not going to raise the value of your home and I think most folks would prefer to not have a house with a pool. For us, we would never buy a home without a pool unless we are building a new home and having the pool put in at the same time. There will always be buyers who want a pool but, they will likely not be the majority.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:55 PM

11,250 posts, read 6,332,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

You don't get your money back necessarily when selling. Pools can be viewed as a liability.

My husband wants one but I don't really, I don't think. Our house and yard are perfect for a pool I will admit.

1. Utilities will soar, insurance will be more expensive. My friend with a pool (that we love to go to, lol) has utility bills that made my jaw drop.

3. People pee in pools.

4. We have a boat.
Well, put the boat in the pool! Problem solved!

Old 04-28-2020, 02:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 930,768 times
Our new pool is fiberglass, and it is very long lasting and troublefree. It also comes with a saltwater generator that produces just enough chlorine automatically to keep it clean. You never even have to drain the pool. Maintenance is minimal.

The contractors in our market are blown away this Spring with record YTD rains. One of them has 40 pools facing him, and his schedule is swamped. Our fiberglass pool was installed in 1 1/2 days after being lifted over the house with a crane. We could be swimming in it by 5/1 if the water was warmer.

We're now retired but have two grandchildren to entertain. And we're 10 miles from town so the pool will give them something to do. And the cost isn't even an issue to us.

At our other house an hour away, we too have a pool. It's 16,000 acres in size and is called the Tennessee River. And thankfully I don't have to clean it.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:20 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,338,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

3. People pee in pools.

4. We have a boat.
Um... In a personal, private pool? Those people would be you two.

My utilities have not soared. My insurance didn't take a big hit. No one comes to my door looking for a free swim.

I wonder where you live if you think any of that is normal?

Old 04-28-2020, 03:44 PM

5,143 posts, read 1,757,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Um... In a personal, private pool? Those people would be you two.

My utilities have not soared. My insurance didn't take a big hit. No one comes to my door looking for a free swim.

I wonder where you live if you think any of that is normal?
Cool, let's get defensive. If you think kids don't pee in pools you're delusional.

My friend's water bill is $180-200. Mine is $30. I can't recall her power bill but it was at least, at least $150 more than mine. Plus if I spent $50k on a pool (to truly do it right, I would spare no expense and it would cost a lot) I wouldn't get the money back necessarily. It's smarter financially to buy another house that already has one.

I live in Knoxville, TN.

And all I meant was I don't want to be the default go-to every Saturday. I love my friends dearly, but yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate