U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 07:59 AM

14,365 posts, read 7,641,641 times

Advertisements

In SW Florida having a pool is a plus for most people. I always wanted a pool and for awhile we rented a house that had one. I used it every day for a few weeks, then less frequently because it was so drying for my hair & skin. My son was at the age where he didn't think the pool was fun.

The best is to have a nice townhome with a beautiful community pool. You have the enjoyment but not the aggravation of upkeep. My niece has a place where the pool area looks like a resort, not just a rectangular pool with a cement deck. The community even has a tiki hut where they serve food. Great place. Of course the HOA fees are over $500 a month....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,288,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Well what do you want a medal for having a pool then?

Go you.

Pools in my experience cost a lot more than what you're claiming.
You just can't stand to be wrong.

Sad.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 AM

11,760 posts, read 10,943,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The fact that your friend has a pool accounts for only a small part of the differences. Running the pump is about $30 per month, and you don't have to add much water. I have a 25,000-gallon pool, and the extra monthly expense for water is about $10-$15. For the most part evaporation (and water lost through backwashing etc.) is offset by rainfall.

Of course, there are more-substantial costs in the form of chemicals, equipment (and repairs), and cleaning/maintenance (either time or money, take your pick). It's not cheap.

I agree that buying a house with a pool is a much better financial move than paying to build one.
This is my experience also. Unless you have a 30 year old pool pump and a cracked pool, your water and electricity increase is minimal.

Long gone are the days when it is $150 a month to run your pool pump and $100 added on to your water bill.

I've had pools in both my Florida and South Carolina homes.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:54 AM

5,012 posts, read 1,714,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You just can't stand to be wrong.

Sad.
No, it’s just I believe my best friend of 25 years over an internet stranger with a chip on his shoulder over a pool.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 PM

89 posts, read 166,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is my experience also. Unless you have a 30 year old pool pump and a cracked pool, your water and electricity increase is minimal.

Long gone are the days when it is $150 a month to run your pool pump and $100 added on to your water bill.
Wholeheartedly agree about pool pumps. If you have an old pump, you'd be amazed at what upgrading to a new, modern pump will do.

Our local utility (in Southern California) was giving partial rebates to anyone who upgraded their pump to one of the new models.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:30 PM

2,823 posts, read 1,935,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Wholeheartedly agree about pool pumps. If you have an old pump, you'd be amazed at what upgrading to a new, modern pump will do.

Our local utility (in Southern California) was giving partial rebates to anyone who upgraded their pump to one of the new models.
You live in CA or FL, I live in Texas, where the temperature is hot during the day and at night requiring longer pump run time. The summer evaporation rate here is ¼ to ½ inch loss of water per day, even my 30k gal. pool evaporates about ¼ inch. The 2 full hp pump is 2 years old and the ¾ hp sweep pump is 3 years old and the pool electric cost in this part of the country is between $75 and $100 per summer month. Our water use is also expensive here and is tied directly to the cost of sewage use. So if the use of water increases so automatically the cost of sewage increases, resulting in a very high water bill.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:55 PM

3,290 posts, read 1,327,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You live in CA or FL, I live in Texas, where the temperature is hot during the day and at night requiring longer pump run time. The summer evaporation rate here is ¼ to ½ inch loss of water per day, even my 30k gal. pool evaporates about ¼ inch. The 2 full hp pump is 2 years old and the ¾ hp sweep pump is 3 years old and the pool electric cost in this part of the country is between $75 and $100 per summer month. Our water use is also expensive here and is tied directly to the cost of sewage use. So if the use of water increases so automatically the cost of sewage increases, resulting in a very high water bill.
Can you get split metering on your water?

We get a modest amount of evap here in SoCal, where probably a majority in our area have pools.

We use ours a lot.

I never cared enough to think about, but I feel like whatever $$ we spend on it we might be saving a portion elsewhere, like gas to go to crowded beaches nearby (we still go to the beach, but maybe less often since we have a pool?). Maybe we use AC for a couple hours less sometimes.

No way it all evens out, but it does a little bit. It's a choice.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:34 PM

2,823 posts, read 1,935,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I'm sort of torn on this.

You don't get your money back necessarily when selling. Pools can be viewed as a liability.

My husband wants one but I don't really, I don't think. Our house and yard are perfect for a pool I will admit.

I just see more of the cons than pros like:

1. Utilities will soar, insurance will be more expensive. My friend with a pool (that we love to go to, lol) has utility bills that made my jaw drop.

2. Nobody will ever leave you alone, lol.

3. People pee in pools.

4. We have a boat.
LOL, I see your point, on the other hand, I would never own a boat.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,415,706 times
Quote:
B break
O out
A another
T thousand

Old 04-29-2020, 08:53 PM

5,012 posts, read 1,714,043 times
Quote:
Totally get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
B break
O out
A another
T thousand
Absolutely true.

However when you get them working it's pretty darn nice out on the lake. We have the Smokeys not far away, so you have a huge body of water and the beautiful mountains in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate