Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 04:13 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Cool, let's get defensive. If you think kids don't pee in pools you're delusional.

My friend's water bill is $180-200. Mine is $30. I can't recall her power bill but it was at least, at least $150 more than mine. Plus if I spent $50k on a pool (to truly do it right, I would spare no expense and it would cost a lot) I wouldn't get the money back necessarily. It's smarter financially to buy another house that already has one.

I live in Knoxville, TN.

And all I meant was I don't want to be the default go-to every Saturday. I love my friends dearly, but yeah.
The fact that your friend has a pool accounts for only a small part of the differences. Running the pump is about $30 per month, and you don't have to add much water. I have a 25,000-gallon pool, and the extra monthly expense for water is about $10-$15. For the most part evaporation (and water lost through backwashing etc.) is offset by rainfall.

Of course, there are more-substantial costs in the form of chemicals, equipment (and repairs), and cleaning/maintenance (either time or money, take your pick). It's not cheap.

I agree that buying a house with a pool is a much better financial move than paying to build one.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 04-28-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 05:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The fact that your friend has a pool accounts for only a small part of the differences. Running the pump is about $30 per month, and you don't have to add much water. I have a 25,000-gallon pool, and the extra monthly expense for water is about $10-$15. For the most part evaporation (and water lost through backwashing etc.) is offset by rainfall.

Of course, there are more-substantial costs in the form of chemicals, equipment (and repairs), and cleaning/maintenance (either time or money, take your pick). It's not cheap.

I agree that buying a house with a pool is a much better financial move than paying to build one.
Stuck b/t rock and hard place because I love my house so much. The pool would be for enjoyment which you can't put a price on, I'm not denying that. Just not sure if it's worth it all for me. We have a boat and spend enough $$ on that. I'd rather be on the lake than in a pool, but I'm a huge lake person.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:24 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Like others have said, it’s much easier to sell a house without a pool regardless of the location vs one with one............this was your quote! It is not true even if you are buying a 250K house in S Florida. Offer 2 identical homes in the same community one with and one without a pool and the pool house will sell quicker.
Ok, fair enough. I was thinking how people could take or leave a pool here despite being able to use it year round. I forgot that the other areas in this country that could use a pool year round have unbearable heat and/or humidity a good portion of the year and a pool is probably necessary if you want to be outside in any sort of comfort.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Cool, let's get defensive. If you think kids don't pee in pools you're delusional.

My friend's water bill is $180-200. Mine is $30. I can't recall her power bill but it was at least, at least $150 more than mine. Plus if I spent $50k on a pool (to truly do it right, I would spare no expense and it would cost a lot) I wouldn't get the money back necessarily. It's smarter financially to buy another house that already has one.

I live in Knoxville, TN.

And all I meant was I don't want to be the default go-to every Saturday. I love my friends dearly, but yeah.
Was was written was about the poster and husband, no mention of kids. I have no kids. No one pees in my pool.

If your friend has that much more in water bill then they have a leak somewhere. I rarely have to add water to my pool. The impact on my bill is negligible.

My power bill for running the pump monthly adds about $50 per month. Electricity must be high where they live.

It isn't being defensive to state the facts.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
I'm sort of torn on this.

You don't get your money back necessarily when selling. Pools can be viewed as a liability.

My husband wants one but I don't really, I don't think. Our house and yard are perfect for a pool I will admit.

I just see more of the cons than pros like:

1. Utilities will soar, insurance will be more expensive. My friend with a pool (that we love to go to, lol) has utility bills that made my jaw drop.
Of course you won't get your money back when you sell. Don't put in a pool if you'e thinking otherwise. They're a lot of fun and great for entertaining....for a certain time period. (And we live in southern California.) But they are expensive, and that has less to do with the utility factor--we never heated ours, except the spa--but more as a result of repairs, chemicals, pool guy, pump, etc, etc.

And when you sell, many people--especially those with small children--will not be interested in a home with a pool.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Is having a swimming pool an added ''benefit'' to a home?

Does it increase the value of a home since it might be considered an added 'luxury' upgrade? An additional cleansing, spa option?

I hear the pros about them but also there are plenty of cons about them as well. The increase in utility water bill poses a large overhead expense cost/problem. Swimming pools without a cover can attract enormous amount of mosquitoes which can cause mosquito bites to my possible baby girl that is two years ago.

Install a swimming pool or skip this remodeling project.

What are your thoughts about this ?
The biggest reason not to install a swimming pool with a young child in the house is the very real risk of drowning. I used to want an above ground pool with a walkout deck from the back of a raised ranch - it would be cheap and easy to install. Every time I mentioned it, my husband would say, "Where's (insert name of youngest child)?" And I'd drop the subject.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Was was written was about the poster and husband, no mention of kids. I have no kids. No one pees in my pool.

If your friend has that much more in water bill then they have a leak somewhere. I rarely have to add water to my pool. The impact on my bill is negligible.

My power bill for running the pump monthly adds about $50 per month. Electricity must be high where they live.

It isn't being defensive to state the facts.
Well what do you want a medal for having a pool then?

Go you.

Pools in my experience cost a lot more than what you're claiming.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:

I live in Knoxville, TN.

A pool doesnt require that much water unless draining and refilling a large pool and that much power to run. My pool in SoCAL is larger than most and in a very expensive area for water and electricity. My cost for water is maybe $2/Month in summer to maintain fill, nothing needed in winter and to drain and refill is about $250 worth of water (need to do about every 5 years), the power for the pump is about $10-15/month.

If that pool was at my Las Vegas house, the cost would be about half as much. That said, I did not care if we had a pool in Las Vegas, we only have a hot tub. We are one of only 2 houses in our community of about 30 houses that doesn't have a pool, my neighbor put one in this year.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

That was my experience- the pool in my first house had a vinyl liner and I was forever dealing with leaks. I'd know I had another one when the water level started sinking. The second house had a pool with a gunite liner- no leaks there although we had a gigantic water bill the summer they drained it and made repairs to the gunite.

I don't think the pump added much to the electric bill- we had the A/C running in the house, of course, and that was the bulk of the bill. The pool heater pilot light kept going out and we finally gave up on using that, but that can add a lot to the electric bill.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 AM

200 posts, read 173,656 times
we recently paid for an appraisal to list our home. We do not have a pool but just finished 2k square feet of walkout basement making the home now 4br/5ba AND 5K SQ FT. ( but really its 7 br - no septic line upgrade to officially count as br( stupid).

Anyhow, our neighborhood is all large lots over an acre each but no amenities. On our appraisal 3 of the comps had pools and all were valued at $15k each. We are in the burbs of CLT. I have also noticed that the homes with pools sell faster and for more per sq/ft than those with out. Even the ones that need the most updating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate