Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Of course the seller wants to be done, but if there are requests, that's what a walk-through is for.

And when the seller repeatedly says, by email, that moving in things is fine that morning, and the seller knows and approves (in advance) the movers coming, but then the seller denies access to the movers, that is not right.
You're being very one sided here, and I don't think that's helping anyone.

Seller gave permission to move things in early.

Seller also gave permission for a walk through.

Now, you can make requests because of defects found in walk through, but seller doesn't have to grant them. The disagreement changed the terms and put closing at risk, so they canceled the early occupancy until it was sorted out.

I know you don't like it, but there is another side to this that is fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 02:58 PM

75 posts, read 199,717 times
Scheduling moving when there's a walk through seems like asking for trouble. At least it was relatively minor stuff and you were able to move forward.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
yes, your behavior was outrageous.

You are the one with last minute requests that put the closing in jeopardy. The homeowner was entirely correct in not allowing movers to put things you owned into a property that it was possible might not close, then they would have to deal with you wanting those items back.

And this story doesn't even make any sense - if it's a condo, then building management doesn't do repairs on things that are the homeowners responsibility, such as central air or a dryer (assuming the dryer is inside the unit and the central air unit, presumably located outside, is still the owner's responsibility and serves solely that unit).

Old 04-27-2020, 03:04 PM

654 posts, read 364,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes, your behavior was outrageous.

You are the one with last minute requests that put the closing in jeopardy. The homeowner was entirely correct in not allowing movers to put things you owned into a property that it was possible might not close, then they would have to deal with you wanting those items back.

And this story doesn't even make any sense - if it's a condo, then building management doesn't do repairs on things that are the homeowners responsibility, such as central air or a dryer (assuming the dryer is inside the unit and the central air unit, presumably located outside, is still the owner's responsibility and serves solely that unit).
No, I never said that I would not close; my only request (as supported by my broker) was for a $500 repair credit.

In this building, the repair staff does repair central AC and the like- even closet doors (which was handled by the seller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You're being very one sided here, and I don't think that's helping anyone.

Seller gave permission to move things in early.

Seller also gave permission for a walk through.

Now, you can make requests because of defects found in walk through, but seller doesn't have to grant them. The disagreement changed the terms and put closing at risk, so they canceled the early occupancy until it was sorted out.

I know you don't like it, but there is another side to this that is fair.
I'm open to being told why the seller was acting reasonably, but I'm simply not understanding:

What is the point of making a promise if you break it?

What is the point of a walk-through if one isn't allowed to raise any issues?

If the seller had simply said NO to my requests, I would have been fine with that. The seller should have just said, "No, we will not give a repair credit, but we need you to confirm that we're proceeding to closing."

It was the seller retracting numerous written promises to let movers come in until I dropped all requests. That was a heavy-handed way to win a negotiation. I certainly wouldn't treat someone that way.

In addition, the seller had repeatedly promised me last week that the movers were fine to come in, but the seller had actually not given approval to the building to let them in. That was deceptive.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I'm open to being told why the seller was acting reasonably, but I'm simply not understanding:

What is the point of making a promise if you break it?

What is the point of a walk-through if one isn't allowed to raise any issues?

If the seller had simply said NO to my requests, I would have been fine with that. The seller should have just said, "No, we will not give a repair credit, but we need you to confirm that we're proceeding to closing."

It was the seller retracting numerous written promises to let movers come in until I dropped all requests. That was a heavy-handed way to win a negotiation. I certainly wouldn't treat someone that way.

In addition, the seller had repeatedly promised me last week that the movers were fine to come in, but the seller had actually not given approval to the building to let them in. That was deceptive.

There's no way we can parse your conversations we weren't privy to.

You're still seeing it as a broken promise, they're seeing it as a possible glitch in closing on time if you couldn't come to terms on the walk through requests.

Perspective is everything.

I'd encourage you to move on and look forward. It got closed, you got the stuff in the same day, you even got the repairs you wanted. There is no damage done. You're whole. Congratulations on your new home!

Old 04-27-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There's no way we can parse your conversations we weren't privy to.

You're still seeing it as a broken promise, they're seeing it as a possible glitch in closing on time if you couldn't come to terms.

Perspective is everything.

I'd encourage you to move on and look forward. It got closed, you got the stuff in the same day, you even got the repairs you wanted. There is no damage done. You're whole. Congratulations on your new home!

We're all lawyers (the seller and I).

The seller wrote:

"Yes, confirmed that movers are authorized to bring [ITEMS LISTED] at 0900 on [DATE]"

That was last week.

Not actually giving the building authorization to let them in, and affirmatively refusing to let them in, is a broken promise.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:22 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
No, I never said that I would not close; my only request (as supported by my broker) was for a $500 repair credit.

In this building, the repair staff does repair central AC and the like- even closet doors (which was handled by the seller).
the seller has no idea what you would or wouldn't do, all they know is they were being asked to come up with more money for you literally hours before closing. That would not engender any belief on my part that you were acting in good faith

How are the repairs done by the staff paid for? Is that covered under HOA fees or is each homeowner billed individually for those repairs?

Old 04-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
We're all lawyers (the seller and I).

The seller wrote:

"Yes, confirmed that movers are authorized to bring [ITEMS LISTED] at 0900 on [DATE]"

That was last week.

Not actually giving the building authorization to let them in, and affirmatively refusing to let them in, is a broken promise.

OK - You're refusing to acknowledge that you added new terms into the transaction AFTER that agreement.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
OK - You're refusing to acknowledge that you added new terms into the transaction AFTER that agreement.

The seller made me do the walk-through the day of the closing. I had asked to do it earlier and the seller refused.

The seller made written promises that there would be a $2500 escrow from the purchase price to address issues found in the walk through. So the seller was open to requests coming up from the walk-through. All I asked for was a $500 credit for issues I found. That was much less than the seller had offered before.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:42 PM

OK - What is it you want to happen now? - Aren't you glad it all worked out?

I've done a lot of walk throughs. I've done them on the way to closing. By their nature, they're almost always last minute. Many times sellers haven't vacated until the last day so they can't be done earlier.

The walk through should focus on major issues, IMHO, and making requests or demands at that point should be a careful decision based on dealbreaker discoveries. IMHO again, of course. I don't think I'd have supported potentially blowing up a transaction over a $500 request.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-27-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate