Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 02:40 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I wouldn't have worried about moving stuff in early.
True, I agree with you there. I usually discourage any sort of early occupancy or storage except under special circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:31 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
OP - You closed. The AC and the dryer work. You have your stuff that was delivered early. Take a deep breath. It’s over. Don’t give yourself an ulcer.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
No, see above. I state above that I now understand that the seller was acting reasonably.

Also- UPDATE:

The night before the closing (which was after this), the seller's lawyer demanded that we close by a specific time the next day, and he threatened (by email) to destroy all of my furniture if I didn't.

Everyone on this thread would like that? Seems like extortion to me.

I thought you said the 'stuff' was being delivered the day of closing. Did you not close that day?

Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
I told the seller that these issues would NOT hold up the closing. The seller knew that when the seller blocked the movers from entering unless I gave up all issues in the walk-through.
Then why even bring it up?

Old 04-29-2020, 04:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
It's always amazing how "new" information pops up as a post evolves. First it was the buyer's agent contacting the seller about the repairs requested (required?), then it was the OP contacting the seller directly saying that they would definitely close. It was a request to the sellers to fix it, but the building maintenance fixed it. The seller's attorney insisted on closing by a specific time or they would destroy the OP's furniture, that hadn't even been moved in yet because the seller wouldn't allow the movers on the property.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
How does a non-functioning central AC not get discovered during the inspection?

Call me crazy, but my walkthroughs have been more about making sure things that conveyed didn't go "missing" or that the place is not left completely a mess, or things like that.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:20 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wait a minute. The seller left her four children (and a basement of gym equipment), when the house should have been empty for the buyers final walkthrough before closing?

When did the four children (and gym equipment) actually leave?

Hello, Germaine. Yeah, the children turns out did not convey. (Neither did the gym equipment).

So the wind up is this house and the buyers' house were in the middle of a line of six closings dependent on each other. So everyone, even a particularly cranky agent, did their best to make things work. So these middle two settlements were an issue. The sellers' house where they were not finished moving out...it was all swept, pretty well cleaned one the first and second floor at least and the buyers were able to do a thorough walkthru on the first and second floors during that waiting period and all was good in that regard. The children. Two sat on the floor and watched. Two played catch in the front yard as a last game with the neighbor boys.

Don't know where the sellers had gone. Seems they may have thought they could go to settlement while waiting for the gym equipment van because there was a call about whether all was set to go and our end said not yet. The sellers eventually returned.

The buyers decided to wait just a little longer. Then in talking about the buyers' walkthru, the owners of these two houses had bonded a little (fortunately it went that way) over life and kids (purchasers had their own few children including young foster children) during that period and in two previous calls about the house and agreed to go to settlement anyway. Then, as the owners and the buyers left, not just one but two big moving trucks were driving up to cart away all the gym equipment. And this was a lot of serious gym equipment and some serious trucks. So it was decided the sellers were totally serious about moving out.

Settlements were nearby fortunately and went quickly. So when the sellers got back to their old home they had few people sweeping and vacuuming the basement and were ready to drive back out as a family and await the gym equipment trucks at their new home. The new buyers got a feel of the place and were already to move in so they started right then.

I think I got it all.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:28 PM

654 posts, read 364,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It's always amazing how "new" information pops up as a post evolves. First it was the buyer's agent contacting the seller about the repairs requested (required?), then it was the OP contacting the seller directly saying that they would definitely close. It was a request to the sellers to fix it, but the building maintenance fixed it. The seller's attorney insisted on closing by a specific time or they would destroy the OP's furniture, that hadn't even been moved in yet because the seller wouldn't allow the movers on the property.

Yes I am supposed to know exactly what each information each person who responds to this thread will need, and I am supposed to know that when I start the thread.

The closing got delayed after I started this thread, due to the seller's screw-ups.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
How does a non-functioning central AC not get discovered during the inspection?

Call me crazy, but my walkthroughs have been more about making sure things that conveyed didn't go "missing" or that the place is not left completely a mess, or things like that.
This is spring, so it might have been cool enough that AC isn’t really needed and it is not that hard for the AC to do its job on inspection, but much hotter on the walkthrough day. It is one thing to work at 65 degrees and anther thing to work at 85 or 90. A lot of times they die or have issues the first time it gets hot.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

No, see above. I state above that I now understand that the seller was acting reasonably.
Yet you're still here arguing points that don't need to be argued.

Quote:

Also- UPDATE:

The night before the closing (which was after this), the seller's lawyer demanded that we close by a specific time the next day, and he threatened (by email) to destroy all of my furniture if I didn't.

Everyone on this thread would like that? Seems like extortion to me.
There is no "update" on an issue that is closed. There's only the OP omitting info.

Quote:

The closing got delayed after I started this thread, due to the seller's screw-ups.
This makes no sense.

Your OP is clearly written to indicate that all of this was over and settled at the time of posting. You made it sound like the closing had happened and said nothing about the seller delaying it.

So which part of this thread is actually true?

Are you back from staying with your parents now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate