Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 04:53 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsmeBrown View Post
Awesome response Sunshine! You get it. MikeJaquish doesn't. Thank you!

I wish you could have been my agent

News of the Weird?
I encouraged you to follow up with formal complaint(s), and encouraged you to transact real estate without an agent if you feel comfortable and confident, as HTT suggests.

What is "it" that I "don't get?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 07:13 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
Many states require that the buyer and seller get a copy of the settlement sheet at least a day prior to the closing. This is to stop any surprises from being sprung on either party at the closing.

Every time we sell real estate, something is on the closing statement that's not right. Sometimes it's an expense that is historically to be paid by the seller. Sometimes it's in reverse.

You have to stand up for your rights. If someone's getting paid $699 and rendered no services, it appears to be like an auto dealer's Documentation Fee--complete garbage.

And if you disagree, refuse to go to the closing. If the agent(s) want to pay the discrepancy funds out of their commissions, let'em. But don't fall prey to poor quality closing attorneys or their clerks.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsmeBrown View Post
Their fiduciary duty is to show me ALL written offers, correct?
\\

Kind of. My client has told me not to present offers to him under a certain amount so I don't send him those. Otherwise, he knows everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

It is a common game to with hold information, especially charges, until you are too far into the process to easily back out.
\\

I know this is a troll poster but I just want to point out that not only is the above untrue, but illegal. Not only would agents lose their license but get sued.

To the OP, hold off on any 'Revenge Reviews" until you have been legally declared a winner. By disparaging the agents without backup can open you up with a law suit.

Google the Texas couple who trashed their photographer online with revenge reviews. The photographer sued them in court and won $1.5 million dollars.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:36 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,992 times
The number of times you said fiduciary made me giggle

But giggles aside, you should have had all documentation and knew all the charges the day before the closing, someone screwed up. If your agent is willing to take the hit out of his commission let him do it, I bet he will never let this happen again.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
\\

Kind of. My client has told me not to present offers to him under a certain amount so I don't send him those. Otherwise, he knows everything.

\\

I know this is a troll poster but I just want to point out that not only is the above untrue, but illegal. Not only would agents lose their license but get sued.

To the OP, hold off on any 'Revenge Reviews" until you have been legally declared a winner. By disparaging the agents without backup can open you up with a law suit.

Google the Texas couple who trashed their photographer online with revenge reviews. The photographer sued them in court and won $1.5 million dollars.
There are agents out there who, either through ignorance or venality, don't really care about the law, because they know that 99% of clients will not know the law or challenge them.

The Texas case has little in common with this one, since the photographer had clear evidence that the bride and groom knew what they had to do to get their photos, and failed to do that prior to disparaging the business. There's also a difference between posting a couple of negative reviews and posting negative blogs read by a relatively large number.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:11 PM

44 posts, read 21,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
This^^

I would also add, that the other serious offense is failure to present all offers. Florida Licensees must submit all offers. Any documentation you can show to substantiate the delay in providing the backup offer would be great.

I would check to see if they all have current, active licenses, especially the first agent. There's a reason he wanted to transfer to a friend? Check it out at myfloridalicense. You can also file the complaint directly through there.

I would not only file through the state (FREC), but also through the Realtor association.

Florida has a fund to reimburse anyone who was damaged by a licensee. It's very possible you can get the money back from the state, if they find the agent acted inappropriately.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Yep, I agree...and thank you for the additional info BigW.

I do have the email my agent forwarded to me on March 13th, after the first buyers walked. The offer was dated March 5th.

He told me he is starting a brokerage business again after selling his share of his original one to his partner. Said he wanted her to get credit for the listing because she was going to handle all the paperwork.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Without reading through this whole thread...

Federal law requires you to receive your closing statement 3 days before you close. I don't see where you said you received the documents early.

They made they law thus for this reason so there are no surprises.
You are correct...I saw the settlement sheet for the first time when the mobile notary laid it in front of me.

I thought so too...or at least 24 hrs., but what I was finding online about it pertained to the buyer. Someone previously mentioned that the bank can hold it up until the last minute.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Many states require that the buyer and seller get a copy of the settlement sheet at least a day prior to the closing. This is to stop any surprises from being sprung on either party at the closing.

Every time we sell real estate, something is on the closing statement that's not right. Sometimes it's an expense that is historically to be paid by the seller. Sometimes it's in reverse.

You have to stand up for your rights. If someone's getting paid $699 and rendered no services, it appears to be like an auto dealer's Documentation Fee--complete garbage.

And if you disagree, refuse to go to the closing. If the agent(s) want to pay the discrepancy funds out of their commissions, let'em. But don't fall prey to poor quality closing attorneys or their clerks.
Would it be the title agent's fault for the settlement sheet not being correct?

I emailed the title agent that had previously been working on my sale after I saw the garbage fee. I asked her three questions: Were you aware that I did not have a listing agreement with the broker who charged me that fee? Were you aware that there is NO documentation with my signature, showing that I agreed to pay that fee? Who told you to put that fee on there?

Go figure...she did not respond.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
\\

\\

Ok, I will be patient.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There are agents out there who, either through ignorance or venality, don't really care about the law, because they know that 99% of clients will not know the law or challenge them.

The Texas case has little in common with this one, since the photographer had clear evidence that the bride and groom knew what they had to do to get their photos, and failed to do that prior to disparaging the business. There's also a difference between posting a couple of negative reviews and posting negative blogs read by a relatively large number.
And I think my agent is one of them. And the brokerage of his buddy agent obviously thought the same. I got the feeling when talking to him that he thought I was believing everything he told me.

His female buddy agent even told me to NOT allow any more showings after I accepted the first offer. Said my first offer will ALWAYS be the best. Then she started going on and on about herself and I almost hung up on her.

Other sellers/buyers need to know that this agent/broker tried to get away with this. And I think the title agent could have possibly been in on it. And my agent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate