Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 06:42 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

from what we've been told this agent has no business earning a dime "representing the best interest of their clients" for the rest of their lives. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 09:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,753,920 times
Not being told of the back up offer is immaterial, as you were under contract to close at the time it was presented. The backup offer could be $100,000 over the contract you had signed awaiting closing, and it was in no way a valid contract as you could not accept it if you wanted to. You had already contracted to sell at a set price, and unless your contract fell through, the back up offer was not valid, and was just a piece of useless paper, until and if the other contract fell through. One of my sons bought a highway property with a former dairy barn he converted to an art gallery, and a huge metal building he converted to an art foundry. His contract was accepted, and when the backup offer came through the broker, did everything he could to cancel my sons purchase including messing up the mortgage, to stop his purchase.

At my advice, he filled a lis pendens notice at the courthouse which tied up the property for a year, waiting for the suit, and kept his contract valid even after closing date. The seller needed to close the sale to buy another farm he wanted, and his and my sons complaint to the real estate commission almost cost the broker his license. he was placed under RE commissions supervision for 2 years. My sons contract closed.

Not giving you copy of backup contract, is no big problem, as it was of no value until and unless the first contract fell through.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 PM

15,397 posts, read 7,454,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Not being told of the back up offer is immaterial, as you were under contract to close at the time it was presented. The backup offer could be $100,000 over the contract you had signed awaiting closing, and it was in no way a valid contract as you could not accept it if you wanted to. You had already contracted to sell at a set price, and unless your contract fell through, the back up offer was not valid, and was just a piece of useless paper, until and if the other contract fell through. One of my sons bought a highway property with a former dairy barn he converted to an art gallery, and a huge metal building he converted to an art foundry. His contract was accepted, and when the backup offer came through the broker, did everything he could to cancel my sons purchase including messing up the mortgage, to stop his purchase.

At my advice, he filled a lis pendens notice at the courthouse which tied up the property for a year, waiting for the suit, and kept his contract valid even after closing date. The seller needed to close the sale to buy another farm he wanted, and his and my sons complaint to the real estate commission almost cost the broker his license. he was placed under RE commissions supervision for 2 years. My sons contract closed.

Not giving you copy of backup contract, is no big problem, as it was of no value until and unless the first contract fell through.
First buyers never signed the original contract, so the backup offer was material. Agents are obligated to disclose ALL offers, even when the property is under contract but not closed, since, as OP stated, it can make a difference on repair allowances, etc.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,390,393 times
Quote:

While the example of your son's closing may be interesting, it has little relevance to the OP's situation. A person who is serving as an agent--representing the best interests of their client--is under an obligation to disclose the existence of a backup offer, and may be required to do so under state law. Do you mean to say that if you were the client, especially in a situation where a contract with contingencies had not closed, that you would not want to know that a better offer had been received?

Old 05-08-2020, 04:41 AM

43,258 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
LOL That's priceless.

Her closing was on the backup offer.

Whoops...
Yup.
Finally, thank you, I see what the "it" I "don't get" is...

And, obviously, the $699 is small potatoes compared to the possible loss of that backup buyer's offer.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:03 AM

44 posts, read 21,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This is the real meat of the deal:
"...having a written backup offer withheld."

Can you prove the offer and amount of the offer? It could be a harm of many multiples of $699.
I have an email dated 3/13/2020 from my agent, sent from his cellphone. Forwarded from buyer's agent.

Subject: Fwd: (xxx my street)-OFFER

Date: March 5, 2020

Offer attached, dated March 5, 2020.

Is this not good enough?

Last edited by EsmeBrown; 05-08-2020 at 07:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what was the difference in net proceeds, including additional interest and HOA dues (if applicable) between the closing of deal #1 and deal #2.

these are the reasons y'all should be vetting agents a lot better than you do ... especially beyond "what's your fee?"

It's hard to vet an agent that feeds you total BS while you are interviewing them.

If I would have given in to the first buyers' request for $15k off the agreed upon $410k price, then the difference in net would have been at least $25,000.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I disagree.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whoops...
Yup.
Finally, thank you, I see what the "it" I "don't get" is...

And, obviously, the $699 is small potatoes compared to the possible loss of that backup buyer's offer.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:55 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Not being told of the back up offer is immaterial, as you were under contract to close at the time it was presented. The backup offer could be $100,000 over the contract you had signed awaiting closing, and it was in no way a valid contract as you could not accept it if you wanted to. You had already contracted to sell at a set price, and unless your contract fell through, the back up offer was not valid, and was just a piece of useless paper, until and if the other contract fell through. ...

Stunningly poor and completely wrong advice in this day and age. I don't know when they changed the Code of Ethics, but we must communicate ALL valid offers to our party. Now, one could argue - but as a Realtor possibly lose - that a random incomplete and verbal offer need not be communicated. But, I and every good Realtor I know, would communicate such an offer - and do so in writing to my client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate