Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 05:30 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,363 times

Advertisements

I agree with vition33f. The current market in most areas effected by Covid has reduced both sellers and buyers. But I see decent activity in Florida still. Yes, with fewer sellers, but people want to move and especially out of large and expensive areas. This trend will change and flow where jobs become available and the virus is less prevelant It is tough when banks are restricting some loans and unemployment is so high, for there to higher volumes of sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 06:33 AM

9,832 posts, read 4,618,865 times
I heard a talking head the other day speculate that after the initial rush of big city sellers and/or renters this will increase supply and lower rents by in particular which is a huge affordability issue in big cities. That drop in rents will lure or keep many in a city.

The realities of home ownership will still be the same ie upkeep, taxes, insurance and mortgage. An apartment in the burbs still requires a trip into the city for work which means traffic or public transportation.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 AM

200 posts, read 173,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
My neighbor across the street put their house up for sale around the second week of April. They’ve had numerous looky-loos, but no offers. They’ve dropped the price a couple times already.

I don’t know their personal situation, but I think they should have waited. The Phoenix market is still strong. The house will sell eventually, but now it shows multiple price drops.
I know there isnt a formula, but is there "generally" ballpark time frame that if a buyer looks at a home( and decides to make offer), when they actually make an official offer? Just curious as my wife an I have purchased 2 resell homes over the years and we made offers the same day within a few hours of leaving the properties. We tend to commit when we are on the same page quickly but Is that not the norm?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I heard a talking head the other day speculate that after the initial rush of big city sellers and/or renters this will increase supply and lower rents by in particular which is a huge affordability issue in big cities. That drop in rents will lure or keep many in a city.

The realities of home ownership will still be the same ie upkeep, taxes, insurance and mortgage. An apartment in the burbs still requires a trip into the city for work which means traffic or public transportation.
Actually the opposite will happen, a lot of big corps will just take the properties off market. They will get a big loan or free money from the Govt. They've been wanting a bailout for awhile since NYC and CA passed many restrictive rent freeze and pro-tenant laws. This will allow them to reduce many rent stabilized properties. The big corps are not going under. The small landlords are gonna get hurt.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Actually the opposite will happen, a lot of big corps will just take the properties off market. They will get a big loan or free money from the Govt. They've been wanting a bailout for awhile since NYC and CA passed many restrictive rent freeze and pro-tenant laws. This will allow them to reduce many rent stabilized properties. The big corps are not going under. The small landlords are gonna get hurt.

The smaller landlords will be hurt the most I agree but if there's minimal demand I think the corporate property companies won't be eager to buy property the can't rent /fill at current rates.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
I'm getting a lot of call from the Greater NYC area including New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm getting a lot of call from the Greater NYC area including New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Ah snowbirds that want to transition into a sea gulls. I get it.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,440 times
In our area --- buyers.

Indirectly, that means there is then a downstream lack of sellers, so the industry in essence starts to lock-up in the short-term.

Most home buying in our area falls into one of two categories:

- Younger buyers typically wanting to move out of their smaller "starter homes" into a bigger, often-newer build house.
- Older buyers that bought their McMansions 20-30 years ago now looking to downsize.

I know of at least 3 couples in broader friend circle, mid-30s with or expecting children that listed their homes in early-March and have since pulled them off the market. Instead they are fixing-up their current places and hunkering down.
Some of one or both spouses furloughed in the short-term. One of them listed their house last summer with no success but they were way over-pricing the place. I'm sure they will try again the next 1-2 year.

Now isn't the time to be stretching that budget or reaching for the stars, particularly when I've got people in rock solid professions like dentistry complaining about how bad their income is down with all of this.

We are used to this in Michigan, when the national economy catches a cold, Michigan catches the flu with the economy predominately directly or indirectly tied to affairs of the automotive industry. We've seen how this plays out about every 10 years or so.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:46 PM

I think many now realize how fragile things are and long term plans have to be taken less seriously and more seriously at the sametime. People won't assume or take for granted the way they did in the past. Also many got caught by emergency expenses. It's one thing to plan for it but after actually experiencing the use of their emergency funds or having scrape the bottom of the barrel I think many will give themselves much more financial leeway going forward.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Ah snowbirds that want to transition into a sea gulls. I get it.
That and the media is telling people this winter is going to be much worse than this spring was.

Florida didn't get hit near as bad as predicted or expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate