Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 06:49 AM

84 posts, read 120,477 times

Advertisements

They may not be considering the purchase of that particular house but the house may be providing good info for comparison to houses they are interested in.

One example:
It may be the exact same house and plan they want but maybe in an undesired location. Still, it may be a good opportunity to understand how it looks. Perhaps they could build the same plan after seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Some people go to car dealers just to look at what's new or hot with no intention of buying. It is commonly referred to as "kicking the tires". No difference. I have done that myself from time to time (not looking at random houses, just car dealers).

Don't take it personally and who knows, maybe you will get an offer from them. Never assume anything.

I used to go to open houses in my neighborhood out of sheer curiosity because I love houses. I would never under current circumstances put an agent or owners to trouble to do the same thing, or never under previous circumstances either.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:39 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
I think a lot of people are unfamiliar with certain terms, conditions or physical and monetary realities. Many 'hope' the house has what they want even there is or they were a given a pretty detailed description. Also many think/assume they can get the seller to do what they want even if it's going from selling to renting or rent to own.

That being said I've know sellers that seem to focus on a particular potential buyer hoping to get them up on price. They feel they can talk a particular shopper buyer into buying even the numbers simply aren't there. They waste just as much time by not dropping their price.

It comes down to false hopes.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I usually go to open houses in the neighborhoods with no intention of buying. It's my way of getting a feel for home values in the neighborhood, as well as get some ideas for remodeling my house since most homes have a similar layout.

I would never set up a viewing to do this to waste a sellers time.
Exactly this. I often used to go check out the open houses that were in my neighborhood. I especially went to one that was put on the market when I knew that we were moving and were planning to put our house on the market in a couple months. It gave me a good, solid comparison of what would be a direct comp. Anyone who looked at our house would most certainly look at that house. But again, this was just an open house. I would never set up an appointment to go see a house that was on the market, and most certainly would not engage a realtor to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
She says she spoke to the buyers agent and he said the buyer has a house to sell before buying another one
That is not at all a "non-serious" buyer. Depending on what the market conditions are, you very well could get an offer. Maybe you'll get an offer with a home sale contingency. If your area is such that no houses ever have a home sale contingency, due to lower supply than demand, it could be that the looker went home to get his house in shape to put on the market.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
My client professionally designs and renovates hotels for a living.

I have one of his properties on the market now, a waterfront, luxury, furnished triplex.

I get tons of looky loos.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Default deleted

Deleted, apologies put in wrong thread

Old 05-08-2020, 04:52 PM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's free entertainment for some people.

My brother and his wife liked to go to tour homes in the neighborhood so they could see how much their home was worth.

Not that they were looking to sell but it made them feel good to know they had earned $$ in equity thus far.

When I was getting ready to sell my home I went to a lot of open house showings. I wanted to see how homes currently on the market compared with my property.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:18 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
So the other day, a buyer came to our house for a showing. Then his agent left us a perfect feedback saying that the buyer really liked the house and may put an offer. The next day I asked my selling agent and she says that the buyer is not a serious buyer. He has his own home in the same city, so she isn’t sure if he even wants to buy.

I am confused. Why do people want to waste their and our time if they have no intention of buying? Something doesn’t add up
Don't believe everything an agent tells you about why someone does or does not make an offer. Maybe it's true, maybe not.

Could be that people look at various homes in their price range for comparison, even though they know they won't buy a house w/brick that color or whatever. You learn something about the market every time you view a house.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:42 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't believe everything an agent tells you about why someone does or does not make an offer. Maybe it's true, maybe not.

Could be that people look at various homes in their price range for comparison, even though they know they won't buy a house w/brick that color or whatever. You learn something about the market every time you view a house.
Most likely answer is the best answer. Maybe they jsut didn't like the house.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

I guess if 'comps' keep coming it would pay to view the competition. Also I know those who like the cite the competition sometimes negative or positive trying to spin their home to their advantage. Problem is things still frequently wind up an oranges and apples comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate