Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 04:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I'm wondering that myself. but even if I cancel everything, wait til next year, get a new agent, etc, won't they try to do the same thing to me???? You're right, I need to stand up for myself. The water's a little murky because we remained friends after I bought my first house with her. Maybe she's taking advantage of my friendship and naivete about the home selling process!!!
I don't think you need to panic about her motives or your friendship.

Just keep the basics at the forefront:

*You have an offer.
*You don't have to give them whatever they ask for.
*Everything is negotiable. You can say no. They can walk away.
*You can make a counter offer, like taking another $3K off the price so THEY can mess with HVAC replacement.
*Your agent can advise you, but YOU are the one who makes the decisions.

Personally, I would not be interested in babysitting an HVAC replacement for these people.

You don't owe them a brand-new anything. Assuming your house is priced in line with its condition, you've already taken a discount off your list price.

Trying to gauge how well it IS priced. Have you had other offers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
Yes Ive had 4 showings, 3 offers. All 3 were 5k below asking.
The 2 prior offers both dropped out before an inspection. This third and latest offer first offered 7k below, even before any mention of the wh/f. So, then they came up to 5k below, but now these shenanagins about the wh/f without even doing an inspection for any others that may or may not arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't think you need to panic about her motives or your friendship.

Just keep the basics at the forefront:

*You have an offer.
*You don't have to give them whatever they ask for.
*Everything is negotiable. You can say no. They can walk away.
*You can make a counter offer, like taking another $3K off the price so THEY can mess with HVAC replacement.
*Your agent can advise you, but YOU are the one who makes the decisions.

Personally, I would not be interested in babysitting an HVAC replacement for these people.

You don't owe them a brand-new anything. Assuming your house is priced in line with its condition, you've already taken a discount off your list price.

Trying to gauge how well it IS priced. Have you had other offers?

Old 05-07-2020, 06:49 AM

200 posts, read 174,114 times
no way I would agree to this. You spend 6k on upgrading hvac that works fine, they inspect and find another issue or want to nickel and dime you in general and you are going to feel trapped since you already invested in their wants. I would politely tell them NO, and if they want to walk that is ok.. I would also let them know that there have been multiple offers. ( Doesn't matter if they withdrew, let them think you selected them to buy your home). If they want to inspect and IF there is an issue you can address, you move forward. Unless there is noticeable issues with any HVAC, an inspector will only recommend it be replaced based on the average life expectancy.

I feel like this is a dirty tactic. NO CHANCE I PLAY THIS GAME! Especially if you feel you got a good price and your time from listing to contract was acceptable.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would call their bluff. You aren’t desperate, so quit acting like it. Also, if your contract runs out with your agent, get a new one.

The last house we sold, we were pretty desperate, but we still refused to submit to the outrageous demands by our buyer and her cut throat agent. They had a list of 50 demands on our house, which had been meticulously maintained. We told them we would not do ANY of them. They came crawling back, asking for 4, and we agreed.

As others have said, you already adjusted the price for the age of the HVAC system.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
So i offered a credit of "half" the amount for new items to my agent. She seems to think they wont accept that, but did she even ASK? And i dont know why that wouldnt be reasonable

"Reasonable" is often not a consideration in negotiations regarding money. It is just belly to belly grunting and groaning, quite often, with agreements hammered out over "tolerance levels," not "reasonableness."
And, as is typical with anonymous kibitizers here on CD, you are getting a boatload of bad attitude advice in the thread.

You have TWO contracts and a lot of stress. If you don't trust your agent, you have a couple of avenues to explore:
1. Talk to the Broker who supervises your agent. BIC, Managing Broker, whatever title.
2. Get both contracts in front of your attorney for review and discussion regarding your options and commitments.

It might be wise to tie your buyers' commitment down before making further concessions. It might be wise to let them go away.
BIC-level advice, if you don't trust your agent.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Thank you! Great info! I just don't have a good feeling here, I"m already accepting 5K below asking. The fact they won't inspect until its address seems so odd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
no way I would agree to this. You spend 6k on upgrading hvac that works fine, they inspect and find another issue or want to nickel and dime you in general and you are going to feel trapped since you already invested in their wants. I would politely tell them NO, and if they want to walk that is ok.. I would also let them know that there have been multiple offers. ( Doesn't matter if they withdrew, let them think you selected them to buy your home). If they want to inspect and IF there is an issue you can address, you move forward. Unless there is noticeable issues with any HVAC, an inspector will only recommend it be replaced based on the average life expectancy.

I feel like this is a dirty tactic. NO CHANCE I PLAY THIS GAME! Especially if you feel you got a good price and your time from listing to contract was acceptable.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 AM

Yes, this is how I've been feeling! I have taken very gentle care of my home, renovated the kitchen and put in hardwood floors, paint.
I was williing to accept a home warranty when I bought my home (which my realtor didnt offer ME to ask for a lower price) yes, it was near end of life buy my agent (same one) told me to take a warranty. So now why isn't it good enough for them? She says because it's so old they warranty it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would call their bluff. You aren’t desperate, so quit acting like it. Also, if your contract runs out with your agent, get a new one.

The last house we sold, we were pretty desperate, but we still refused to submit to the outrageous demands by our buyer and her cut throat agent. They had a list of 50 demands on our house, which had been meticulously maintained. We told them we would not do ANY of them. They came crawling back, asking for 4, and we agreed.

As others have said, you already adjusted the price for the age of the HVAC system.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
A typical furnace lifetime is 20 years, so sounds like it was near the end of it that period when you bought it.

As other posters mention, it's up to you to stand up for yourself as the seller.

and from a buyers perspective, I wouldn't accept a 25 year old furnace unless the price was discounted to reflect that.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 AM

200 posts, read 174,114 times
Quote:
Yes, this is how I've been feeling! I have taken very gentle care of my home, renovated the kitchen and put in hardwood floors, paint.
I was williing to accept a home warranty when I bought my home (which my realtor didnt offer ME to ask for a lower price) yes, it was near end of life buy my agent (same one) told me to take a warranty. So now why isn't it good enough for them? She says because it's so old they warranty it.
The warranty is generally an ask from every buyer. We even had the buyers ask us for a warranty for a house we built and sold 2 years later. Some buyers simply just ask and ask and ask because " it never hurts to ask" and they are takers.

Twice, I refused to give up another 5-600 on a warranty and my agent covered it to get the deal done. As others have said, You're agent works for you and if they don't close the home, they don't get paid. Too many agents( not all) feel like they are worth these extreme commissions amounts and expect the seller to do all of the discounting. Hold them accountable also. You discounted $5k before an inspection. Thats $5k out of you're families bank account. That is only a loss of $150 for each agent in commissions. ( $5k discount @ 6% commission rate) . perspective.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 AM

Right, I:m still tied to her because of contract, I feel she doesn't have my best interest in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate