Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 04:30 PM

81 posts, read 71,530 times

Advertisements

I am working with this agent to sell my house. She is decent in marketing and has good zillow reviews (which is why I hired her). But for some reason, I feel she is distracted and not paying attention. She has assigned her assistant to deal with us and the assistant is not available over the weekends. Once we had a showing over the weekend and we tried to reach out to the agent because of some urgent issue but the agent neither picked up nor called back. The assistant does not work on weekends too and is not willing to share her cell number. Only emails and calls to her office number during normal business hours.

I don't believe the agent even remembers how our house looks like. She never suggested what we should do to improve the sell-ability of this house. Just plain marketing and waiting for a buyer. Based on initial few feedbacks, we ourselves did some updates to this house which I believe should have been done even before this house went in the market. The 'for sale' sign outside our house was put after 20 days of going live. Moreover, this agent has not sold any houses in our neighborhood which I only recently realized.

Our house is not professionally staged and the agent says she does not help with staging. She did refer us to one of her contacts for staging but her contact just moved some furniture around, charged us and left.

We are first time sellers and don't know if this is 'normal' agent behavior. We feel we are handling all the work ourselves and all this agent did was getting us listed on various mls sites. Wondering if this is the most interaction we should expect from our agent? Don't want to get to the lengths of changing her with another one, in case we are expecting too much out of a selling agent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I would.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
She doesn't seem too interested in you or your property. I would suggest to find an agent who has sold homes in your area as they may be more in tuned with your area.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
How would you select a new agent and assure a better fit?

Old 05-09-2020, 06:08 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Presumably you have a contract. You would need your agent's agreement to cancel. If the agent works for a brokerage you may need to approach the broker.

I would have expected some commentary/ advice about the property before signing the listing contract.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:17 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
I am working with this agent to sell my house. She is decent in marketing and has good zillow reviews (which is why I hired her). But for some reason, I feel she is distracted and not paying attention. She has assigned her assistant to deal with us and the assistant is not available over the weekends. Once we had a showing over the weekend and we tried to reach out to the agent because of some urgent issue but the agent neither picked up nor called back. The assistant does not work on weekends too and is not willing to share her cell number. Only emails and calls to her office number during normal business hours.

I don't believe the agent even remembers how our house looks like. She never suggested what we should do to improve the sell-ability of this house. Just plain marketing and waiting for a buyer. Based on initial few feedbacks, we ourselves did some updates to this house which I believe should have been done even before this house went in the market. The 'for sale' sign outside our house was put after 20 days of going live. Moreover, this agent has not sold any houses in our neighborhood which I only recently realized.

Our house is not professionally staged and the agent says she does not help with staging. She did refer us to one of her contacts for staging but her contact just moved some furniture around, charged us and left.

We are first time sellers and don't know if this is 'normal' agent behavior. We feel we are handling all the work ourselves and all this agent did was getting us listed on various mls sites. Wondering if this is the most interaction we should expect from our agent? Don't want to get to the lengths of changing her with another one, in case we are expecting too much out of a selling agent
It sounds like maybe you hired a team? I know some of the KW teams here don't work weekends, but I'm not sure if clients realize what that means for them in real estate.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Good question. The only things we can think of are whether this new agent has sold in our neighborhood and his/her reviews. But honestly, we would rather go with a new one than being stuck with an uninterested agent. At least with a new one, we have a chance that the agent will be more involved and communicative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How would you select a new agent and assure a better fit?

Old 05-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Yes, we have a contract with her for 6 months. The contract does not say how to break it. Need to figure this out as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Presumably you have a contract. You would need your agent's agreement to cancel. If the agent works for a brokerage you may need to approach the broker.

I would have expected some commentary/ advice about the property before signing the listing contract.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:22 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Reviews are entirely overrated.
Be a better interviewer.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:24 PM

We hired an agent who keeps a team to help her. Honestly, we don't expect anybody to work on weekend. But we do expect that the agent is reachable in case the buyers coming in for showings on weekends and cannot open the key box to get into the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It sounds like maybe you hired a team? I know some of the KW teams here don't work weekends, but I'm not sure if clients realize what that means for them in real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate