Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM

226 posts, read 148,268 times

Advertisements

Is it crazy to buy a condo if you do not plan living there long term? I can get a newer condo for half the amount of rent in some cases. Is it to big of a risk to but a condo and sell it in say two years? I am getting tired of renting but I am not ready to commit long term and buy my forever home. I would not be able to rent it out as far as I know because I would be using VA loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
It depends on the market.

If it's a place where tons of condos are being built, then your value probably won't rise too much, and resale could be affected when you try to sell compared to brand-new construction.

If you have lots of families who want to move in the area, they may not be as likely to choose a condo over a SFH.

To me, this decision is more about the market than the home itself.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:51 PM

226 posts, read 148,268 times
i am looking in chicago and nw burbs

Old 05-31-2020, 05:02 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Before purchasing a condo, be sure to check out the current budget and especially the reserves for repairs to see if they are being fully funded. Otherwise you could end up with a surprise special assessment sometime in the future.

And I agree with other posters, you really need to study your local condo market to decide if it's worth making a short term investment like this when you factor in closing costs for both buying and later selling, property taxes, insurance, etc.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,951 times
Depends on the deal and you could find something under-market that needs a little work in an area of higher values. Due your diligence on the market and neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
The OP wrote about new condos not fixers with repairs on the near horizon. I would say add up the cost of payment, insurance, taxes, possibly mortgage insurance (PMI if needed), plus HOA costs, and if it is less than rent you pay now then go for it.

Of course you may need to pay movers. And when you sell in two years you will need to pay a realtor and closing costs, so perhaps factor that in too. That all adds up and is the reason that sometimes it’s not worth buying if you don’t stay very long.

But if the property appreciates it offsets some costs (if). And it’s wonderful being able to decorate according to your whims and to have complete indoor privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate