Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 06:47 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times

Advertisements

Anyone used Angie;s list as a source for projects on a home they are considering buying? Did it provide useful if done? Is it permitted by Angie's list? '
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Anyone used Angie;s list as a source for projects on a home they are considering buying? Did it provide useful if done? Is it permitted by Angie's list? '
Are you talking about using Angie's List as a source for acquiring contractors for projects in a home one is considering buying? I think I tried Angie's List once but they sent me names for companies that were way out of the area where I live. I prefer to use local contractors only and in the end went with a firm that I had used at my old house, as it turned out my new home was still in their service area. Almost all of the time if I have to choose a new contractor I will either get a personal recommendation or use Yelp reviews to narrow down the people I interview for the job.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 AM

586 posts, read 555,174 times
Quote:
No. Most agents have a substantial list of trusted vendors for work projects and it enables them to keep in touch with clients, well after the house has been purchased.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:38 PM

I am not looking for vendors or contractors to do work on a home I do not own. I want to use it to tell me what has been done but perhaps not disclosed? Like roof leak or flooding damage etc that might not have been disclosed? I know how Angie's list works but wondered if they would release the list of project done on a home that is up for sale? I presume not generally but perhaos on a foreclosure where the home owner is not a party to the transaction since it is bank owned, not sure how disclosures are made by a non resident seller like a bank who owns the home through foreclosure..

Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
I am not looking for vendors or contractors to do work on a home I do not own. I want to use it to tell me what has been done but perhaps not disclosed? Like roof leak or flooding damage etc that might not have been disclosed? I know how Angie's list works but wondered if they would release the list of project done on a home that is up for sale? I presume not generally but perhaos on a foreclosure where the home owner is not a party to the transaction since it is bank owned, not sure how disclosures are made by a non resident seller like a bank who owns the home through foreclosure..
How would Angie's List have any record of projects done on a particular house? They are simply a clearinghouse of sources for vendors or contractors. Your best bet for any information on conditions that have not been disclosed is a good home inspection.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
How would Angie's List have any record of projects done on a particular house? They are simply a clearinghouse of sources for vendors or contractors. Your best bet for any information on conditions that have not been disclosed is a good home inspection.
This. Angie's List has zero information on any work done on a home.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:

Obviously if they bothered to get permits you can run a permit check on it.

Another very important source of information is the CLUE report (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) which is a 5 - 7 year history of insurance claims on the house. Obviously only useful if they claimed it or the carrier logged the conversation.

If you think it had a fire then the local FD records can be checked.

In Texas a bank is not required to provide a disclosure.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
They are a large broker for home projects. They have a record of estimate requested of them by home owners. it is not any where near comprehensive but why not add this to the list of due diligence steps. The Clue report is a great one too but again not comprehensive though more so than Angie's list.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:53 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
No. They don't keep records of that

Get a really good home inspector. Do not be cheap on this.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:33 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Lol, no, never, and will now make a point of not doing anything so absurd,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate